MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/02/2013 07:24 AM

Anyone tried Liver pills or Haematonic pills from Solgar?

Anuba
Anuba  

Im giving these a go as not having much luck with anything else!!

02/02/2013 10:20 PM
cyberscryber
cyberscryber  
Group Leader

Are you considering these for iron deficiency anemia or pernicious anemia? I see these pills have B12, protein, calories, and desiccated liver, but there is no listing for iron content. Logic dictates that there should be iron in desiccated liver, but since iron is not listed on the label, I have to assume that there isn't any in it, until proven otherwise. Even if there is, we don't know how much and therefore don't know how much we should take per our doctor's orders.

If you are taking them for pernicious anemia, (caused by a lack of B12) I am not sure they will help, since most people who have pernicious anemia are unable to absorb B12 via their gastro-intestinal tract and must receive B12 injections for the rest of their lives.

The good news is I looked up Solgar on Consumerlabs.com (well worth the subscription cost for anyone taking supplements of any kind) and Solgar has had a lot of stuff tested there, and seem to have good results on the supplements I looked at. Their Gentle Iron 25 mgs passed the laboratory tests for amount of iron per suggested daily dose, and was lead free. The form of iron used "ferrous bisglycinate" may be easier on your stomach than ferrous sulfate.

As always, I would bring the information on any supplements you want to try for your anemia to your doctor for discussion before trying. S/he may have different instructions for different types and dosages of iron.

If you are having problems with iron absorbing, or being too hard on your digestive tract, there are two iron pills on the market that have heme-iron (iron from meat) which absorbs approximately twice as well and with fewer GI side effects than non-heme iron (plant based). They are Proferrin and Feosol (used to be Bifera). Proferrin has two formulas, Proferrin ES and Proferrin Forte. Both contain 12 mgs elemental iron from heme-iron polypeptide, but Proferrin Forte also has high amounts of folic acid, which I would avoid unless you are folic acid deficient. http://www.proferrin.com/

Feosol has 22 mgs ferrous sulfate and 6 mgs heme-iron. http://www.bifera.com/ . All the above are rather expensive, and more than one pill per dose will likely be prescribed by your doctor for these. Be sure to talk with your doctor before stopping or starting a new supplement of any type.

Also be sure that you are not taking your supplements in conjunction with other foods or beverages that might interfere with their absorption. There is an article pending approval on mdjunction on that topic. In the meantime, avoid dairy (calcium), coffee, tea (tannins), and legumes (fiber and phytates) for 1/2 an hour before and 2 hours after taking your iron supplement. If after supplementing with oral iron, your iron values are not improving, your doctor will probably want to do more testing and then if all is well otherwise, give you IV iron infusions.

Hope this helps, let us know what you decide to try. Smile

***I have no affiliation with any of the above referenced companies.

Post edited by: cyberscryber, at: 02/02/2013 10:21 PM

05/07/2013 03:20 PM
Anuba
Anuba  

hiya yeah it does have iron in it - it is on the label and has helped me get my iron up to 19 now - thanks for the info x

05/07/2013 10:58 PM
cyberscryber
cyberscryber  
Group Leader

Hmmmm, interesting, went back and looked at Solgar's page http://www.solgar.com/SolgarProducts/Desiccated-Liver- Tablets.htm again and found that the label shown on their site for desiccated liver does not list iron, but the label shown on Lucky Vitamin's site http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-15764-solgar-desiccated-liver- 100-tablets for the same product _does_ list iron as 2 mgs. It doesn't list what kind of iron, but I think it's safe to assume it is heme-iron, (just like the Proferrin) since it comes directly from liver.

Glad you found something that works for you! Smile

05/08/2013 04:50 AM
Anuba
Anuba  

No the product I have been taking is Hematinic Formula and on the back it says Iron (as bisglycinate) 45mg - 321%LEC RDA. I take the liver tablets once a day and the Hematinic Formula once a day. It helped me.

05/15/2013 09:28 PM
cyberscryber
cyberscryber  
Group Leader

Ah. I did not look up the heamotonic pills. Iron as bisglycinate is supposed to be better absorbed than iron in sulfate or gluconate forms, however, heme-iron found in meat is still the most bio-available of any iron. 45 mgs is considered to be under the limit of what will cause GI troubles, but of course everyone is different and ymmv. Either way, I'm sure you know but just in case (it's worth repeating) to get the most out of an iron supplement, take it with vitamin C to make it more bioavailable, and avoid the iron binders as referenced in this article: http://www.mdjunction.com/anemia/articles/how-to-take-an- iron-pill.

Be well. Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved