MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/08/2012 03:57 PM

Missing Toe Site About Six Weeks Later

mem6684

So as I said in another thread that's been hijacked-Tongue - I fired my wound doctor. I do not regret it at all.

I have a couple little open wounds, one on my back and one on my leg.

And then there's the surgery site on the foot. It is still open in two little spots but no infection. No oozing either. I will finish the Keflex in a couple days.

Do you think it is okay to self-monitor for a while as long as there is no problem? I get SO sick of appts. and often I go in and they tell me what I already know. I am so used to having ongoing wound care but I wonder how much it really has helped.

05/08/2012 07:06 PM
cookieman

Hey, you get your butt into a Dr. if those little open wounds are near or at the specific points where your skin or bones are touching on the bed or wheel chair. If so do it now. They may be the beginning of pressure ulcers. If so and you catch them when they are small they can be "fixed" in 6-8 weeks. If they get bigger it can take up to 2 years to get them to heal and that usually requires a skin graft. They can grow to the size of an egg and if they go on too long they can become gangrene and if that happens the ONLY way to fix it is to AMPUTATE!!

It is nothing you want to mess with. If the open wounds are not pressure ulcers then I am overreacting. But if I am right I might have saved you from alot of troubles and pain

Google them and see if they are the beginning of pressure ulcerss or, the next time you see your Dr. have him look at them

I know about this because I am a CNA and my oral report was on Pressure Ulcers and they scared the daylights out of me. They are terrible pain and you can't use a narcotic to help with the pain because the narcotics make you sedentary (means that they make you more relaxed and that is exactly what causes them).

Google them as 'pressure ulcers'. It is a very very bad thing to have.

cookieman

05/09/2012 05:49 AM
mem6684

Hi CM Smile. The sores are on the top of the foot. But now that you mention pressure sores, I ought to make sure my Darco shoe is not rubbing there! If so, I will just wear a sock for a while. Maybe I'll make an appt. with the surgeon. The appts. with him were very brief so that's good at least. Thanks for that thought. I hope you are well.

05/09/2012 01:49 PM
opsman
opsmanPosts: 475

petirrojo

I STRONGLY agree with cookieman, not having a doctor monitor those open wounds is just asking for trouble with a capital T. If you fired your wound doctor, find another one!

I will say this, you my friend are playing with your life, and I am not joking, never in my almost two years of being on this site have I used such strong language. I urge you, please, go to a doctor, yes only you know how you feel, but,only a doctor can detect the early stages of infections and heaven forbid gangrene. If you do not know what gangrene is please look it up!

YOU ARE PLAYING WITH YOUR LIFE HERE, GET TO A DOCTOR!

Mark

05/09/2012 04:29 PM
pennypicker

I havent had open sores but I did get a nasty oozing and pain at the incision spot while healing after my first amputaion. Never thought about hesitating and got to the hosp. QUICK. I had a nasty named infection that put me bak in the hosp for 2 weeks with twice daily wound care. Never again I hope. I got lucky!. Do not play with this as everyone has said. You would be an idiot!

05/09/2012 04:38 PM
mem6684

I hear you, but everyone has cuts and scrapes now and then which is basically all that I have. I am not saying I'd never go, of course. I look at it daily for any changes. I'll think about it but I know a lot about wounds at this point. I can SEE changes myself and get to a doc pronto if need be.

05/09/2012 05:05 PM
pennypicker

OK

05/10/2012 05:54 AM
mem6684

Left for a bit. Stronger than expected responses and a little hurt by the idiot comment. Sorry. I just feel like I deserve a little credit for being able to watch myself and to take action if need be, at even a hint of a problem. I can almost guarantee the doc wouldn't do a thing to my foot at this point. I might see the surgeon soon but I don't know.

05/10/2012 06:07 PM
pennypicker

Sorry perirrojo, I am an old fart of 60 and cannot seem to follow your train of thought with your current condition. You sound far to young and stubborn to listen what I may have said so I will stop. Good luck. Jerry

05/18/2012 03:23 PM
mem6684

Checking back in here after a hospitalization for unrelated reasons. My surgery site is healed so phooey. I mean YAY!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved