MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/25/2010 07:59 AM

Good days, bad nights

norrms

Good day`s

But

Bad Night`s

Hiya, considering what has been going on this week I had convinced myself I would go into meltdown with the pressure of everything and my Alzheimer's. Thankfully that didn't happen (All power to the Ebixa Tablets!!) but what I have found is a gradual downturn in things I do but shouldn't be IE: putting the cutlery in the bin and the coffee jar in the fridge!! These are things I used to do before the Ebixa but I put this down to the events of the week.

It's the night times that have taken a real turn for the worse! My nightmares have come back with a vengeance and the new sleeping tablets are either nowhere near strong enough or just not working. I can't remember if I have mentioned this but my father who died of this horrid disease also had very vivid nightmares both before being diagnosed with Alzheimer`s and which got steadily worse as his conditions worsened. My consultant that I saw very recently said the nightmares usually come with a different type of dementia, Lewey Bodies (I thing she said) and not so usual with Alzheimer's but when I mentioned my father she promised to look into it if these tablets don't work (Which they don't up to now)

How Elaine even functions during the day after being up with me most of the night waking me out of my nightmares and calming me down is beyond me??

I am just wondering how many others with Alzheimer`s early onset or otherwise also suffer from these horrid nightmares and if they are more pronounced when worried or stressed more than usual?

Best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

06/25/2010 12:15 PM
Pat1238

Hi Norm's, In your post you were wondering if other people with Alzheimer's disease had vivid, frightful dreams. My husband also has had bad dreams but, his dreams seems to be less frightful now. I hope your dreams become less frightful too.

06/26/2010 07:39 AM
norrms

Thank you, sometimes its jusy reasuuring i am not alone in this, thank you so much, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxx

06/26/2010 09:09 AM
sgnihctik

What kind of nightmares do you have. I have wondered what was going on with my mother at night. She wakes up in the middle of the night with the strangest stories. Of course they are real to her. She moans and groans in her sleep and jerks sometimes. In the morning she doesn't remember any of it. I know it is unpleasant for you so if you don't want to talk about it I understand. I was just hoping for some insight to what was going on at night with my mother.

07/16/2010 07:09 AM
tony36
tony36  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Brid had nightmares too, sometimes frightning ones which continued into when she woke. The doc attributed them to her tablets and reduced the dosage and she was much better.

Tony

07/16/2010 07:18 AM
norrms

Thank you for that, its certainly something to think abaout, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxx

10/14/2010 10:39 AM
Thehelplessone

It was my understanding that the medication was what caused the nightmares. My husband's doctor told him to take the Alzheimer's medicine (galantamine) early in the morning and with food. So far, so good.

10/14/2010 10:39 AM
Thehelplessone

It was my understanding that the medication was what caused the nightmares. My husband's doctor told him to take the Alzheimer's medicine (galantamine) early in the morning and with food. So far, so good.

10/14/2010 12:23 PM
alznotwell
Group Leader

We never put my mom on AD medication at all because neither of her sisters were helped by medication, in fact the side effects from medication were as bad as the AD. Also, mom was of advanced age when she developed AD. Even so, she has terrible nightmares. So although medication may be part of the problem, it seems like changes to the brain caused by AD may also be part of the cause of nightmares. ANW

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved