MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/17/2009 07:54 PM

Sundowning...

nanakate3
nanakate3  

Good evening all. I wonder if all AD patients (victims) experience what I've been told is "sundowning". My husband seems to get worse when it gets dark. It's almost like he's a completely different person. Now that winter is upon us, it gets dark a lot earlier, too.Shocked He is also constantly complaining about being cold. We live in California, for pete's sake, and have lots of sunshine during the day. It's chilly, but no snow or rain! Our heater is set at 68 degrees and he sits around in a sweat shirt and blanket most of the day. The doctor has examined him, but hasn't found a reason, other than it's not 85 degrees outside. Are these 'normal' symptoms? I know these aren't earth shattering problems, and from what I read in this forum, a lot of you are facing more difficult situations. I just don't know what to expect sometimes, so I come here to find out. I truly appreciate the opportunity to ask questions and vent, if I feel the need (which is becoming more and more frequent). Thanks for listening - Again.

Kate

11/17/2009 08:50 PM
Salbug
SalbugPosts: 58

Hi Kate!

I have not posted in a while....just dealing with things as we all are. I have to tell you that my Mom, is freezing all the time...and we also live in California. I can really relate to what you are saying. My mother brings it up all the dang time. Now..if she were just complaining about being cold, it would be fine...but she keeps insisting that she must have some type of illness to be so cold. I can also tell you that all of her symptoms are worse late in the day and early evening. I had not associated it to getting dark, as much as her just being tired, but I will have to watch for that. She is in bed by 7:30 to 7:45 each night, with lots of blankets and even sleeps with a stocking cap on her head to keep warm. She has been tested by the dr as well and her blood counts have been fine. I don't have alot of advice other than getting him a sweater or a blanket when he says he is cold. Good luck to ya...and thank you for posting....it brought me back to the group...Wink

11/17/2009 09:29 PM
lovingyoungwife

Hello Kate, I wonder if maybe there is a link to poor circulation and AD. I worked in a NH before dear hubby was diagnosed and I have noticed that most AD victoms seem to feel cold later in the day. It makes sense to me that this could be because I have Fibro and I feel much more pain in the night hours. Atmospheric pressures are different after the sun goes down and the air is more damp.

11/18/2009 12:29 AM
tony36
tony36  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Kate, sundowning is certainly common among AD patients. Brid would be in great form and suddenly like throwing a switch she would turn on me and demand to be taken out of this awful place (our lovely home) that it was too dark and dingy and how awful I was to bring her here. WEll, chats on line with AD patients, which I still do every night, soon sorted it; one patient told me it was no problem as he gets that way too and they just put him in the car, take him down the road and bring him back again and then he was home and happy. I tried it and it worked like a dream. It is all part of the forgetting. From then on I took Brid out in the car every day and she was happy from then on. But she also lost a lot of weight and was very cold because of that. I had to have the house like a hot house - it has taken me the twelve months to adjust to normal temperatures. It is also possible that the "cold" might be something else such as loneliness and the confusion of the AD might end up calling it cold instead. We are never 100% sure what is going on in their minds.

Tony

11/18/2009 07:58 AM
Toni16
Toni16  

Hi:

I have the sundowning thing too and the coldness. I'm in Connecticut, and it gets pretty cold here in the winter. His hands are like ice.

David is so aggitated in the early evening, and worse at night too. Wants to go home alot. He used to pack all his cloths, and demand I take him home or get him a car so he could drive home. Taking him around the block now that it's dark is pretty scary for me too, since i don't like to drive in the dark now. Don't ya wish you had a magic wand in times like this...

Geez, Tony hit the nail on the head. We never know whats going on in their minds. I wonder if I want to.

Take care and God bless

Toni

11/18/2009 05:51 PM
alznotwell
Group Leader

My mom has both symptoms, only she is cold all day. Wearing warm clothing is never an option for her; she wants to wear summer clothing and still be warm. If I try to cover her with an afghan she gets furious and throws it off. The only answer she will accept is turning up the thermostat. Since I am up working, I perspire all day and pay an atrocious heat bill to boot!

She also has sundown syndrome. Tony's description of throwing a switch is very apt. It happens about four o'clock and lasts until bedtime. The only thing that helps somewhat is if my sister comes to visit about that time of day and helps me distract her with conversation.

There is some soft, silky long underwear available that is very warm and confortable. I wonder if your husband would consent to wear it. My sister's mother-in-law wore it for years, but my mom refused to put it on. ANW

11/18/2009 06:57 PM
nanakate3
nanakate3  

Thanks for the suggestions. We've tried the underwear thing, but it's difficult for him to understand how to put it on. He confuses what items to put where (told him to put on a sweat shirt and he came out of the bedroom with his arms through his underwear, trying to put it on his head). I honestly DID NOT laugh! I've given him a throw to use when he gets cold, and fix him hot tea at night (decaf). I also have a "comfort pillow" that I heat in the microwave for him to use on his hands. I absolutely refuse to turn up the thermostat, so he has to deal with that, and I have to deal with the complaints. A win/win situation, right? The sundowning really perplexes me, though. You may be right about the atmospheric pressure, LYW, as both my kids suffer from migraines, and they are worse when the weather changes. These are truly minor problems in my estimation, but a whole lot of "minor problems" send me to this site to vent! We can deal with this, I'm sure, but it surely helps to be able to let it out.

Kate

11/19/2009 06:55 PM
lovingyoungwife

That is what we are here for Kate. Wink Just vent away any time you need too.

Blessings,

LYW

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved