MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/16/2012 10:07 PM

New to this...

gooberoobu

I am a 31 year old female. My hair is falling out in mass quantities. I am to the point that i will not be able to hide it much longer. I am considering a wig, and plan to do some shopping later today to see my options. A couple questions... Do / did you share this with your family and friends or do you hide it from them? So far i have only told two people that this is happening, and hesitate to tell others... What are your thoughts?

How do you feel about wigs? Was that a good move for you?

How do you deal with this? I cry constantly which gets very old, yet this is extremely tramatic for me.

Anyone / everyone willing to share, i would love to hear your thoughts...

Thanks!

03/20/2012 04:13 PM
rkymtroxie

Hi gooberoobu:

I started losing my hair in "96" and went back and forth with losing and it regrowing. Last April I lost all my hair in 8 weeks. Eyelashes, eyebrows, all body hair. I do not wear a wig and have easily learned to accept my bladness. It takes some time to look at yourself and see no hair, but to tell you the truth, I don't miss it at all.

Good luck with what ever decision you make, but be proud of what you look like and take the actions you feel comfortable with.

03/30/2012 12:43 AM
NettyNurse

Hi Gooberoobu!

I'm a 26 year female and I've had Alopecia since I was 4 years old. I understand the situation you are facing. It helps to share it with those whom you trust, ones you can count on to support and inspire you, it will aide in the coping process. I've worn wigs for half my life, as a kid it was harder because I had to put up with the bullying and getting older I've bumped into people that aren't very nice and that's the reality of it. Take it as an opportunity to educate people about our condition, sometimes people just don't know. Crying is natural, it's all a part of coping, healing, and acceptance. Even after all these years of having Alopecia, I still have days where I run into people that ask me about my hair, and I freeze up being caught off guard, and feel bad sometimes, but I've learned to shrug it off. Take it one day at a time. Don't hesitate to message me if I can help you with anything ! Smile

04/10/2012 08:10 AM
mandib30

I am also new to this, well since Jan. of this year & I am going to be 31 this year so we are close in age. I also have a husband & 3 children. I totally understand what your going thru. I am also trying to find the best way to deal with it myself. I have considered a ball cap for now and then getting a wigg. My hair is also falling out in mass quanities. I go out in public with this large exceeding hairline but act like i dont notice the looks...but i do. I have fallen into a depression...maybe we can help each other..

04/10/2012 02:48 PM
gooberoobu

Hi Mandib,

I totally get where you are. My dermatologist said that 80% of my hair is gone. Not something I wanted to hear, but I'm trying really hard to accept it.

Currently I am going for the hat/bandana look anytime I go out in public. The wig thing isn't me.... Maybe I will try it later, but right now.... not so much.

The depression is such a draining thing.... for several weeks my only thoughts revolved around hair.... drove me nuts. Things are a little better now because I have hats/bandanas to wear... Its sooo much easier than constantly trying to figure out a new creative way to comb the hair to cover the bald spots.

Let's keep in touch.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved