MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/29/2009 11:34 AM

The first year is a roller-coaster ride

AndysCandi

I'm just heading into my final months of my 1st year of sobriety. I didn't think I could ever give up drinking even though I was an active alcoholic for just 3 short years. The way I drank was "0-60". What most people do in 30-40 yrs...I accomplished (lol) in that short time.

This disease is powerful and can sneak up on you at any time.

They say not to make any major decisions in the first year of sobriety....and as hard as that was I didn't. I keep staying in my marriage and trying to work things out...the secret is the 12 step program.

Alot of times I get a "case" of the whys...why did this happen to me, why is my life over because of alcohol, etc. But the truth of the reality is that I would NEVER have gotten to know myself and love myself like I do today. Through the 12-step program I've been able to be happy, joyous and most of the time free. I have more confidence than I've ever had in my life and know when enough is enough in life. I'm not a door-mat for people anymore and If that meant giving up alcohol for the rest of my life than that just might be okay.

I got AA the second time around in the Middle of 2008. I did have months and a couple set of 90 days and even a year of sobriety before that, but it wouldn't stick because I wasn't working the program of alcoholics anonymous.

I treat this disease like it was cancer. I go for therapy 4 times a week by way of my AA meetings. When I run into trouble in my life; my sponser infuses intelligence, patience and reason to make the right decisions that would be in "MY" best interest...

I am not a huge "God" person but I was able to work on myself so much that I did find a nice spiritual connection with God and I'm happy with that today. Whenever thngs get to difficult I turn my problems over to Him and pray for serenity.

My point? Just keep going to meetings until you start to see some progress and some release of all of the pain and guilt you are going through....then you will find your "pink cloud" too. It does get easier becasue others in the program give you tons and tons of tools and phone numbers when you need them.

I'm praying for the alcoholic that is still suffering and I'm here to tell you that I'm living proof of someone that has made it through to the other-side. In 2007 I drank with-in an inch or less of dying. Today I am 110 percent healthy by the grace of God and the 12 step program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

I'm always here to listen to anyone who needs help with this horrific disease...I know the pain, guilt, desperation and the feeling of WANTING to die. You don't have to live this way...just give AA a chance.

Hugz,

Ange

05/29/2009 11:50 AM
LoveLife
LoveLife  

one year is a good time to reflect. Good as any, but it's special. Congrats and hang in there, just the next right thing.

05/29/2009 01:21 PM
rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

I'm coming up on a birthday too. And I always find myself reflective at that time. At times in the past I have looked at myself and thought I have not grown enough in the past year. This year I definitely don't say that, I have grown a lot. It sounds like you have grown immensely and that you are in a wonderful place. Congratulations on the coming year birthday. It sounds like you have a great program and a wonderful sponsor.

05/29/2009 05:21 PM
anoronha

Congratulations on the upcoming birthday. Keep up the good work.

05/31/2009 07:50 AM
AndysCandi

Happy B-day Rhonda!!! It feels so good to be sober...it uncomplicates so many things in life...plus people in my family now trust me again. I can make a promise and stick to it since I work such a strong program of AA.

05/31/2009 10:06 AM
rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

You're right about it uncomplicating life when you're sober. It sure does. Being sober just plain ole gave me a life. It is good to have an AA program to work and stick to. Keep it up.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved