MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/17/2012 06:53 PM

Next positive step..

JulieC
JulieC  

Hi everyone.. I wanted to share with this group that tomorrow I will start counseling for my drinking and looking into AA groups in my area. I share this information with my closet friends and parents. I feel relieved that I am now taking the next step to become sober and slowing taking away what was getting the best of me. I hurt people on my way down and now its time to make amends. Thank you all for reading my post and hope to get some words of encouragement from those who have achieved their goal.

05/19/2012 09:28 AM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
Group Leader

You can do it. If I can do it anyone can. You are on the right path and will get the support you need through AA. Seems like you got yur family for support too.

05/20/2012 11:16 PM
JulieC
JulieC  

Thank you bang bang... This weekend was a tough cause their were many times i could of failed but i didn't. I also offered to a DD for some friends who still the night life. I have goals to look forward to. Question... I was looking for AA meetings, some say open discussion and closes discussion. What does that mean?

05/21/2012 01:36 PM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
Group Leader

A closed meetings is for those people that have the desire to quit drinking. The open meetings are open to everyone that wants to attend.

05/21/2012 04:15 PM
JulieC
JulieC  

Oh.. Okay. I wanted to make sure I get correct information before attending. I've been somewhat stalling cause I'm nervous. I know I shouldn't but just a little nervous. I guess I feel as though my drinking problem isn't as critical as other might be. Thank you for answering my question.

05/21/2012 06:21 PM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
Group Leader

We were all nervous at our first meeting. However I was glad I went despite being nervous. When you go you don't have to share. It is important that you listen. You will eventually want to share your story with others. Just start out at a first dtep table. You will probably get an starter packet. I did and it was very imfomative. it had a directory of meeting in the area. I am lucky. There are a lot of meetings in my area. Get a Big Book and start reading it. I like the stories. I can relate to them and the first 165 pages are about how to live a sober lifestyle.

05/21/2012 09:26 PM
Hounden
Hounden  

Let us know how this goes Julie. I was terrified, and now make it a part of my day. I now wonder why I was so nervous, but that is normal.

H-

05/21/2012 11:24 PM
JulieC
JulieC  

Thank You Bangbang I'll keep that in mind. And to Hounden, I will keep you updated. I guess when I asked a person who isn't bias, I got an answer I wasn't expecting. I told this individual that I was nervous about going to AA and this person's reply was.. "I don't think you're an alcoholic, you just need to control yourself a little better." Uh... No, I need and want to quit therefore, I'm going to AA and listen to others speak. But then what this person's answer was made me think. And this is why I came to ask for advice to where I know I can get a straight answer and some support.

05/22/2012 04:41 PM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
Group Leader

Your welcome. You can send me a pm anytime you have questions. AA has been my life line.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved