MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/04/2012 07:43 PM

For my mom

Awna
Awna  

As the topic implies...I'm posting because I need help to help my mother. She's been an alcoholic for as long as I can remember. But she won't admit to it and anytime I try to talk to her about it, she gets mad and yells at me for lacking faith in her or something like that and then doesn't talk to me for a few weeks. As it stands right now, she's a broke down alcoholic living in a hotel for free in exchange for doing housekeeping for the place. She has no job, no car, no license, and seemingly no aspiration to straighten her life out. The little money she does get for helping to clean other hotels in the area she spends on pet food(since you can't buy pet food with food stamps) and alcohol. But she lives 500 miles away so I really don't know how to handle her since our only means of communication are through the phone. If anybody has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them. Thank you.

Awna

05/05/2012 10:24 AM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
Group Leader

Well...this sounds very sad. It does not sound like she is ready to get help. Anything you say she is going to be resentful and you live so far away you would have trouble with any type of intervention. She needs to get sober for herself. She has not hit her bottom however it sure sounds like a bottom to me. I wish I could be of more help but she is the one that needs to get help. There is not much you can do other than accept it and take care of yourself.

05/05/2012 08:04 PM
Awna
Awna  

Thanks. I just feel sorry for my sister and little nephew. They live up there within walking distance of the hotel she stays in and they have to deal with it first hand. Luckily, my nephew is only a few months old so he wouldn't know one way or the other. I was hoping that becoming a grandmother might have some influence on her but my sister said that the first thing she did once she left the hospital was go out, get drunk, and then call her up bitching her out about her choice of what hospital to have the baby in. I was hoping that there was something I could do for my sister's sake. When I was younger, my mom and I were inseparable. We listened and worshiped each other. But we've grown so far apart now both physically and relationship wise that I think in her mind I'm just another nagging interloper. Thanks for at least reading the story.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved