MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/03/2008 07:42 AM

you definition of relapse

seabass
seabassPosts: 656

curious to hear your definitions of 'relapse' when it comes to the battle with alcoholism. one drink? one hard night out drinking? re-reaching that point of physical dependency?

i am very non-committal when it comes to complete and utter sobriety, though yes i am very early on in the stages.

topic for disucssion - thanks

seabass

12/03/2008 11:36 AM
heather1020

seabass, as you know i am not in recovery, but my opinion is that if you are looking for complete sobriety in your life than even 1 drink would be considered a relapse. Most alcoholics don't want just one. However you are not looking for complete sobriety at this point so I guess you probably view it differently.

12/03/2008 12:24 PM
piedlourd
cirquepourvousPosts: 1710

if you think that you can have one beer and that's that, then perhaps that's not a relapse. but i'm pretty sure you have to be sobre to have a relapse.

seabass, i'm not sure you're aware but there is an organization that advocates controlled drinking. unfortunately a main person in this got drunk and killed a few folks. i'm sure that you've already found this.

12/03/2008 12:54 PM
seabass

i guess if that is the way i go, it will be to pick apart the reasons i compulsively drink and address them individually. depression, boredom, stress, insomnia, etc.

so something like, come up with a plan which includes reading, exercising, internet forum support, etc. it also includes looking at my depression and why it exists...underachievement, loneliness, etc...and how to resolve those issues.

if i can resolve the many reasons for 'compulsive' drinking, then that is my rehab. impletation now is a tough one. but no i have not ruled out formal rehab in any way. i'm trying to apply myself, directed at my problems because applying myself and laziness are part of my underlying problem.

seabass

12/03/2008 01:00 PM
seabass

wrong post....supposed to be the other rehab one. be advised

and i'm not even drunk

seabass

12/04/2008 07:15 PM
AndysCandi

a relapse is if you consume a sip of alcohol....that's just what i've been told in every detox center, aa, out-patient, rehab, etc.

12/04/2008 07:26 PM
Ele1

I used to drink to ward off panic attacks. Problem was, I was having them during the day while at work. That mean't I was drinking during the day while at work. For me relapse means any alcohol. That is why I only have 3 months. I count my relapses even if I just drink a beer. (vodka is my drug of choice)

12/04/2008 07:54 PM
AndysCandi

thanks ele1. I think you are correct too about relapse. Unfortunately I had 5 one day relapses in 1 year and two months...but I have to count from Aug. 14th and it sucks, but those are the rules.

12/04/2008 08:43 PM
piedlourd
cirquepourvousPosts: 1710

Ange, ele1 - how do you feel when you relapse, when you essentially erase that you've done and start from scratch? that's the rules of aa but how do impact you in your efforts? i just don't think if relapse is minor (a beer or day)that you throw away those sobre. it must not help your self-esteem if you're going back to zero often?

terry

12/05/2008 02:20 AM
starbright
starbrightPosts: 7342
VIP Member

for me a relapse is consuming any amount of alcohol even the smallest glass, because i know that that is only the begining the glasses will get bigger and continue to flow. it took the hospital to tell me i was at high risk for liver failure if i kept on drinking as i have also taken several paracetamol overdoses in my years (it apparently affects your liver). that kicked me back into reality and sobriety and i haven't realapsed since though i sure as hell crave the stuff somedays, but i keep reminding myself what will happen.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved