MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/10/2012 01:02 AM

Nightmares, agoraphobia and PTSD

maya1
maya1  

I have healed much of my anxiety but the horrible nightly nightmares have started up again. I was told by a therapist it is from past trauma that hasn't cleared. I fired her because she shussed me twice and sold me vitamins for my eyes. I think she needs more clearing than me. However, I digress. I thought I had gotten rid of my trauma but maybe she had a point. Has anyone here had or have anxiety scary nightmares and how do I get rid of them. I tore my eye cornea from the shock of waking up. aloha

05/10/2012 06:17 AM
KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

Maya, I am sorry to hear that you ripped your cornea. I can't even imagine the horror of having to deal with an injury like that as a result of a nightmare.

I do have violent nightmares that have caused me to become physical. I have awoken to scratches and bruises. Not only on myself but my hubby has experienced the violence as a result of these nightmares. We now put a pillow between us as we sleep so that I fight with the pillow instead of him! Wink

I have been told by my Pdoc that the nightmares are a result of the subconscious mind trying to resolve the issue. The memories and emotions of my assault has not 'integrated' with the logic in my mind. Through continued journaling, expressive writing and mindfullness the mind will eventually realize that I am not there anymore. I am not in that situation and I will be able to live a life apart from the memory.

There is a saying "From the mind to the fingers our thoughts pour out". The truth is that our brains are scarred from the trauma and we need to create new pathways that bypass that scarred area. As we ponder the trauma and then allow it to come out in a safe environment, in a creative way...the neurological pathways will be created. Eventually, we will have 'less' need to use the scarred pathway. It's like driving down a freeway and hitting a brick wall...there needs to be some type of detour. As with any detour, there is a lot of traffic and we live at a stop and go pace.

05/10/2012 06:41 AM
KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

Here is a thread that I started to explain how PTSD relates to sleep. It also includes actions that you can take to improve your sleep which will lessen the frequency of nightmares

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/agorphobic-dealing-with- ptsd-discussions/general-support/3618470-how-ptsd-relates- to-sleep#3619693

Post edited by: KittenMittens, at: 05/10/2012 06:42 AM

05/10/2012 11:51 AM
Paiges

Hi...I very much relate to your posts about nightmares. Currently I've been waking more times than not with my fingernails embedded in my palms. My fingernails grow fast and have to keep up with keeping them trimmed. I sympathize with you very much. I have been having nightmares and bad dreams every night for too long. I'm sorry I can't be of any help but I understand how disturbing it is to deal with.

05/10/2012 01:37 PM
KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

Me too Paiges! I have to keep my nails trimmed down to nothing. I still wake up with marks that turn into bruises later.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved