MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/16/2012 08:05 AM

The Perception Promise!(page 3)

KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

Our promise: To Act Assertively With Restraint

As sufferers of PTSD and Agor, we have a double dose of issues to cope with. Some of the issues seem to overlap and others stand on their own. One of the things that we have in common is Interpersonal Communication problems.

Interpersonal communication can involve one on one conversations or individuals interacting with many people within a society. It helps us understand how and why people behave and communicate in different ways to construct and negotiate a social reality.

Interpersonal communication is the process that we use to communicate our ideas, thoughts, and feelings to another person. Our interpersonal communication skills are learned behaviors that can be improved through knowledge, practice, feedback, and reflection.

Interpersonal communication includes message sending and message reception between two or more individuals. This can include all aspects of communication such as listening, persuading, asserting, nonverbal communication, and more. A primary concept of interpersonal communication looks at communicative acts when there are few individuals involved unlike areas of communication such as group interaction, where there may be a large number of individuals involved in a communicative act.

Individuals also communicate on different interpersonal levels depending on who they are engaging in communication with. For example, if an individual is communicating with a family member, that communication will more than likely differ from the type of communication used when engaged in a communicative act with a friend or significant other.

Overall, interpersonal communication can be conducted using both direct and indirect mediums of communication such as face-to-face interaction, as well as computer-mediated-communication. Successful interpersonal communication assumes that both the message senders and the message receivers will interpret and understand the messages being sent on a level of understood meanings and implications.

Post edited by: KittenMittens, at: 04/16/2012 08:14 AM

04/25/2012 07:47 AM
KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

For our new members

04/25/2012 02:05 PM
sidian3

I think JuneBug hit on everything I have felt recently. I promise to make strides changing how I perceive myself and my surroundings.

Tomi

04/25/2012 04:39 PM
KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

I believe that her post is amazing and I am glad that I found it!

05/04/2012 05:38 PM
KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

I am bringing this to the top again for our new members. The 'Perception Promise' came about during the first week of this group. It's an important tool for everyone to take responsibility for their own perception and for their own triggers.

It is simply to "Act assertively with restraint"

In a group of people that suffer from perception problems it's important to have some rules in place so that emotions don't overtake common sense.

05/14/2012 12:47 PM
KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

For the new members:

This is one of the differences that has created an atmosphere of 'safe sharing'. We will take responsibility for our perception and take the needed steps towards recovery

05/15/2012 08:11 AM
Paiges

I like what Anna said. I think it goes for everyone though. The most judgmental, critical, arrogant, self righteous people often are those who haven't been through much if anything themselves. Boy do they piss me off! lol

05/16/2012 02:49 PM
KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

To the top for the new members to read.

Smile

05/17/2012 08:27 AM
jstsIm
jstsIm  
VIP Member

This is a great idea, it would be even better if the GL's here would adhear to the principles...

05/17/2012 08:36 AM
KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

I just posted a new Group Leader Responsibility thread. The intention of this group was to heal at our own pace, take responsibility for our recovery and actions.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 3 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved