MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/04/2012 06:08 AM

What is Agorphobia?

Irishangel88
Irishangel88  
VIP Member

Agoraphobia is the fear of going out into public places. Agoraphobia can occur with or without panic attacks.

That is a very narrow definition that I again got from a website.....but I like talking about what conditions are in real life, from the people that have them. To me Agorphobia is uncertainity. Agor means that you never know what will make you have a panic attack. Agor means that certain places people and things will make you freak out. Agor means that even leaving the house is a seemingly impossible task for some. But, I fully believe Agor gives us strength too, with everytime we leave the house, everytime we are able to push back we KNOW we can do it again.

This is the website I got the definition from, and it does have more information too, I just always like to take things back to how it effects us. http://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/psychiatric-disorder- definitions/what-is-agoraphobia/

04/04/2012 08:00 AM
Anna321
Anna321  
VIP Member

Right. I don't think agoraphobia has a very simple definition. We all know that we suffer at different levels. Some people will not leave the house at all. Some feel comfortable only in their car and when driving, others refuse to get behind the wheel and can only get to places when someone else can get them there. Often it is associated with the perceived inability to escape a certain situation. Agoraphobia can be ever changing. I have gone through different stages of the disorder. For me it is in conjunction with panic attacks. It is the fear of panic that makes me feel uncomfortable being away from home, especially on my own. At this point in time I can go most places with people I know. Slow exposure, with understanding and awareness have made a great difference on my road to recovery.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved