MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/25/2012 07:36 AM

Benzos., their place in psychiatric treatment(page 5)

Anna321
Anna321  
VIP Member

Damsel, I relate.. having watched both of my parents die and wishing for more morphine.. The suffering of a DYING person is very hard to take, for you know nothing will end it but death itself.. Just terrible and will be in my memory forever. Ugh...

05/25/2012 07:41 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16985
VIP Member

No one was ever happy.

It was huge turmoil and often the nurse giving the drug would be viewed as the bad guy!

I think I am scarred for life from this.

Even if I was not the one that requested an order but it just so happened that I received it on my shift there was that potential i would get glares and comments that others weren't ready to see that person go yet as if it was my fault.

People can lose all sense of logic when it comes to things like this.

It's why it's best if it's a personal choice made by the patient with support of family and doctor.

Then sometimes it's better if everyone else just stays out of it.

All of the judgement does not help it only makes things more difficult for everyone.

All of the opinions are not necesarily wrong ever.

You might find truth in all of it.

It's just we have to keep our perspective.

Post edited by: damselndistress, at: 05/25/2012 07:42 AM

05/25/2012 07:51 AM
Anna321
Anna321  
VIP Member

That is true... It must have been horrible for you. I hope you can try to remember that most of the feelings would not have been personal. Watching someone you love die is so damn traumatic! Nobody is thinking clearly. One moment you desperately want them to live, the next, realizing that will not happen, you just want them to stop suffering and die! It is a terrible mix of emotions. Often, people, like the nursing staff will get the blame. In times of pain we often look for ones to blame because we feel so out of control, so helpless!! I think we lose our minds for a while while dealing with such things.. It is just overwhelming pain and turmoil.

05/25/2012 07:59 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16985
VIP Member

I try to just go on and not think about it but when I think about the incredible stress I think man we should have called a meeting and got some of that worked out. Sometimes It was the other staff not just family that would get to acting all bizarre when decisions were made. Sometimes the health care pracitiomers don't even agree on this stuff so what hope do we have?

But this relates very much to what we're dealing with here.

People will never agree on some things.

I am thankful that people do get the word out so that others can make an informed choice about the good bad and the ugly.

As far as that info being used to influence those that are taking meds no.

Let everyone make their own choice.

There will be no end ever to debates on issues like this.

For one thing everyone experiences different things,

But main thing we know drugs aren't perfect but where would we be without them?

Personal choice.

05/25/2012 12:34 PM
Llissa43

Angel

A lot of people who have a bad experience with something may think EVERYONE will have the same one. I read someone took an asperin and died from an allergic reaction to it. I do not think everyone will. Brushing your teeth can have long term damage..exposure to the sun etc. Using hand sanitizer long term is supposed to be harmful. ??

It is strange to think that alll people will react to Benzos or withdrawel the way she did.

My doctor says the way to get off a drug is taper off very slowly and I agree. She even wrote me a chart on how to do it.

05/25/2012 12:37 PM
Llissa43

I tried natural Agave sugar/syrup and had a baaad reaction to it. So I'm back to the white refined sugar Smile that stuff is so good.

05/25/2012 03:10 PM
mem6526

Llissa43,

Everyone is different when it comes to Meds.

What works for one person may or may not work for someone else.

I don't understand your reply at all.

Wassat Whistling

05/25/2012 04:07 PM
Conn65
Conn65  
Group Leader

Everyone is different when it comes to anything we consume into our bodies.

Natural substances aren't necessarily safe just because they're considered "natural".... and meds aren't all safe just because they're supposed to make us well.... I think we all have enough knowledge to know this. Most natural remedies haven't had enough research to be considered totally safe and aren't FDA approved.

Like with any med we can also have reactions to any plant derived substance due to allergies and intolerance ... the best refined white sugar alternative, to avoid reactions, is "unrefined" sugar... such as "sugar in the raw" or any natural cane turbinado sugar.

Post edited by: Conn65, at: 05/25/2012 04:10 PM

05/25/2012 04:11 PM
mem6526

Excellent post Conn!! Very true!! Thanks! Wink

05/25/2012 04:50 PM
banaberry22
banaberry22  

hey Belle, that is true and I overlooked that. Also I was rethinking what I said about docs abusing their power and I now that I have thought about it some more I don't think they are really abusing their power. I think stating that means they are using their role as an MD to force something upon people, get privileges etc.

I just think benzos should be taken by those who it was meant for...and honestly I think they are safer than ssri's when used as prescribed.

I have a med phobia as I've mentioned a zillion times on MDJ and I haven't ruled out using a benzo when I absolutely need to.

Agoraphobia causes us so much suffering and life is to short to sit in a room and ruminate side effects that might not even happen.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 5 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved