MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/29/2009 06:29 AM

Money !

silverguy
silverguyPosts: 5233
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

What role do you think money, or lack thereof, plays in your recovery process? I think, even with regular folks, money is the main source of arguements and anxiety. Is money a factor?

09/29/2009 07:09 AM
elcresci

I think money is really not a super big factor and shouldn't be. I mean money is good because it supports families and keeps us healthy and living comfortably. Money is good to have but it is only material when you think about it.

09/29/2009 07:12 AM
jmick
jmickPosts: 13899
VIP Member

Absolutely. I think money is a large source of stress, and stress is a huge contributor to how bad your symptoms are. When I found out that my initial SSDI application was denied, my anxiety went through the roof and I was suddenly unable to do things I had been able to do before the news. For three weeks I couldn't even get myself to a store. (Finally got there on my own yesterday tho woohoo!)

I don't have work to worry about anymore, so I have to think that if the financial strain was taken off that my life would be relatively stress free. The stress from agoraphobia, I think, would be minimal once I got into a routine I was comfortable with.

09/29/2009 08:02 AM
krissy1105
krissy1105  

Good question Silver! I am not sure about this one. I will say I have lived both ways. I have been very poor and very well off. In all reality money does not add much true richness. I think it is all relative. Being more secure may take the "Panic" out of immediate money issues. But it can not bring one more ounce of happiness. That needs to be fulfilled from within.

09/29/2009 08:43 AM
silverguy
silverguyPosts: 5233
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

well if i win the lottery i would build that cabin and i would have anyone on this site come there to live, that wanted to. i sure dont need cars and jewelry and travel. i need a home to be agoraphobic in! a game room, movie theatre, big comfy furniture and a fireplace. now im a happy camper! what a dreamer!!!

09/29/2009 08:44 AM
crimson
crimsonPosts: 166

I think money for me personally is a huge stressor... And, because i live in this lovely USA... where we can not see a dr w/out money... we can't get public money to keep a roof over our heads w/ out either someone else's money (if we can not work) or w/out having children who are under the age of 19 (for the gov't assistance part.) Statistics say that the poverty level for a single woman (over 18 to ?? age) is a very largely growing rate in the USA. (Also, the crime rate for women in the US has grown something like 200% over the past few yrs!) And, i dont think most of them are ceral(sp sry) killers!! they are building womens prison's at an allarming rate!!

This situation unfortunately causes women to do things that they may never have considered doing before in their lives... leading to prostitution, drug abuse, physical abuse, etc. Every day i say the same question to allmost everyone i talk to on the phone/ or in my head... "what does the gov't expect us single, ill women that are completely alone to do".... meaning for just the most basic of needs and health care is pretty much a privaledge instead of a necessity! (unless prego/ or have kids, etc)....

I was fortunate to grow up in a upper middle class family.... So, i know what it is like to have nice things and healthcare etc.... I didnt get bad off financially until i started loosing jobs due to illness/ then not having healthcare... Now debt, illness, fear, anxiety has taken over my life!!

sry to go on!! great pts by everyone!!

09/29/2009 11:57 AM
ConnieinColorado
ConnieinColorado  

Money can be a huge stressor for me as I'm only working part-time now. I really question if I could function in my true career full-time without becoming exhausted -- right now! That's something I'm working on. I KNOW I will because I'm determined but it'll take some work and healing.

Crimson brings up an excellent point -- not having healthcare can really stress you out. I try not to think about it as I'm pretty healthy. But even getting to the doctor yesterday meant scraping some money together because my income right now really only pays my basic bills. It was nice -- she charged me less. I figured it would be about $100, and she only charge me $75. I consider those things little daily miracles in my life.

I know my money situation will get better, but I worry about being out on the street, too. I fear that because of how I grew up. My family had money but the way my father drank it away, I always thought we were poor. I know -- crazymaking stuff. Just have to reprogram that stuff -- sure wish my brain could just get a tune-up!

09/29/2009 11:58 AM
ConnieinColorado
ConnieinColorado  

Jmick, congratulations on getting to the store. I know that's big!!!

I couldn't go into a grocery store FOR YEARS. That's cause for celebration!

09/29/2009 12:40 PM
Anna321
Anna321  
VIP Member

I think money is a huge issue for the society as a whole. For many of us it is a real problem for many others it is an issue imposed by the materialistic society we live in. Some of the happiest and most grounded people I have met were in quite poor countries. Small apartments, little to no luxuries. Unbelievable amount of pride and a huge sense of community. We count on materialism to make us happy. We spend money to feel better. That is because there is a decline in the communal spirit of a society as a whole. We want what our neighbor has. That is sad. We sit on nice expensive leather couches but we sit alone.

I have lived on almost no money, now money is not an issue for me. I will be honest and tell you that money has not improved my spiritual, or personal life. Some of my happiest years were spent when I had no money to speak of. Does that mean I would want to give up all that I have? No, I too am a product of this f-ed up society. I do know however, that money does not in fact bring happiness, nor has in helped me in my recovery. I try to be very careful not to allow greed to rule my life.

I do understand the difference though between being greedy and needing money for real survival.

I am coming to the cabin silver, but I am taking my jewelry with me!!!

09/29/2009 12:46 PM
ConnieinColorado
ConnieinColorado  

Anna, thanks for your thoughts. I couldn't have said it better!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved