MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/09/2009 09:44 PM

It happened again...STRANGERS knocking at 10:15pm

LeslieI
LeslieI  

A couple weeks ago, these 3 college aged males kept knocking on my door were hovering around my window, hearing something like "well I KNOW she's in there, I can see the light from her laptop. The first knock scared the living crap out of me. I got enough courage up to look out the peephole to see who it was. I was afraid to call security because I thought they would see me as some "paranoid freak" for not answering the door. That was around 9:30pm on a weeknight.

Well it a happened tonight around 10:15pm. This time I was so scared, I was afraid to even look out the peephole, thinking they might see movement. What the hell is wrong with me that I feel trapped in my own apt and hiding from the windows. It's ridiculous and it's stupid. Why can't I just be normal? I did call security and they are going to send someone out to look for suspicious behavior. My fear is that this is just going to happen over and over since whoever this pyscho is finds pleasure in scaring the crap out of me.

And why didn't I just scream through the door and yell "knock one more time and I'm calling the COPS". I feel like such a loser. I fantasize about opening the door just a few inches, sticking a 357 magnum out and saying "What the f*** is your problem?). Unfortunately I do not own a gun, wouldn't want to, but it's my sick twisted way of thinking.

Am I just totally wacked or does anyone else have this problem? (the fear of strangers knocking)

Just wondering,

Kat

Post edited by: LeslieI, at: 08/09/2009 09:51 PM

08/09/2009 10:25 PM
lyndyLu
lyndyLu  

OH my God, that is just the worst, I would jump out of my skin if somone where to knock on my door at that time, Even a person with no disorder would question what in the blazes is going on, you are not a loser by any means, I have had situations close to that when I was younger and this phobia was not showing it's ugly face. when I was in my twentys I had two kids on still in a crib the other 3 years old, they were down the hall asleep, my husband was a real loser, he never was at home so I was always alone, he did not ever fix anything around the house so my back door was brocken no lock, if you came in the back door, then you would be in the wash room, then thier would be another door and that one had no locks. So there I was sitting at a little bar, drawing and all of a sudden I see the curtins in the wash room move, first I thought it was in my head, but then it happend again, my mind went to racing and I thought I cannot go down the hall to get the kids out, by the time I did he would be in the house, I had to think fast, my xhusband did keep a gun collection and always had the darn things loaded, I saw the gun standing next to me leaning against the wall, I picked it up and yelled "come in this M###fing door and I will blow you head off, all the time praying that he would think I would do it and leave seeing some crazy lady holding a gun.Well it did work, I stood thier frozen, then I saw police lights, looked out my window, and the police were next door, so I ran out screaming for them to come over and they found his foot prints all over the back room, it had been raining, so they were easy to follow, he had cut the fence in my back yard, which was chicken wire and came in from the next block, I thank God that I never ever had to fire that damn gun. I hate guns and do not own one.But funny what we do to protect our lives, you know fight or flight, I have had to always be aware of things since I was eleven, do to an alcoholic step-dad. thats a whole nother story. But do not let this go, talk to the police and keep your eyes and ears open, if some one is doing this to scare you, they are some sick pups.

In a way, cause we have this disorder we are more aware of things than people who are so called normal, so it does give us an advantage don't you think? well please take care of yourself I will be praying for your safty tonight.

08/09/2009 10:52 PM
LeslieI
LeslieI  

Lyndy

First of all I commend you for having the guts to grab the gun and yell at the MF that was trying to get in. I hate guns myself but I remember one particular time, I was living in Dallas, married to my now ex-husband. Apparently he hadn't locked the door, was napping on the couch and a stranger started to walk in. He reached under the cushion got the .357 magnum out, pointed it at the creep, and said "May I help you"? It scared the crap out of the idiot and ran away as fast as he could. As much of a pain in the a## the ex was he could pull some pretty good moves. I actually got a laugh out of it, but now that I'm living alone, with no firearm and no chain lock it's a different story. Maybe I need to get a baseball bat or something..

08/09/2009 10:53 PM
LeslieI
LeslieI  

Lyndy

First of all I commend you for having the guts to grab the gun and yell at the MF that was trying to get in. I hate guns myself but I remember one particular time, I was living in Dallas, married to my now ex-husband. Apparently he hadn't locked the door, was napping on the couch and a stranger started to walk in. He reached under the cushion got the .357 magnum out, pointed it at the creep, and said "May I help you"? It scared the crap out of the idiot and ran away as fast as he could. As much of a pain in the a## the ex was he could pull some pretty good moves. I actually got a laugh out of it, but now that I'm living alone, with no firearm and no chain lock it's a different story. Maybe I need to get a baseball bat or something..

08/09/2009 11:08 PM
lyndyLu
lyndyLu  

you know what I was thinking, try to get a dead bolt, then get some kind of horn,or whisle. anything that will make noise. creeps like these don't like noise, Hell post a sign on the door, I once got this fake camera put it in the window and a red light kept going, so my dumb ex, thought it was a real camera.let your family and friends know what is going on don't go through this alone. let this creep know that you are not going to deal with this crap anymore.and that the police are watching your house. hang tough.

Post edited by: lyndyLu, at: 08/09/2009 11:10 PM

08/10/2009 04:42 AM
Wintersnow

Hi Kat, Never answer the door to someone that you don't know or aren't expecting. I don't consider myself as being paranoid, just cautious. There are too many bad people out there. You were right to call security. Be safe!

Hugs, Pearl

08/10/2009 05:24 AM
Anna321
Anna321  
VIP Member

Weird reading about all the gun action, living in Canada....

Having said that, I think the attitude needs to change. Is it weird that you are scared of strangers (especially male) knocking on your door at night? NO!!! Does it mean you are in danger? NO!! Chances are college guys are just looking to make some trouble, nothing that unusual for college students, I still remember my University days...

However, it can be scary for a woman. We are a paranoid society for sure, hiding in our homes, shaking in our boots. Having said that like Pearl said you have to be cautious, not scared.

Calling the security was the perfect thing to do. If it happens again, call security immediately and tell those students through the door to please leave and that you have called security.

I tend not to open my door to strangers when I am alone but I understand that most robberies happen when nobody is home. Most people are not looking for violence. I used to feel scared and uneasy but not any longer. I mean we do live among people, they are bound to knock at our door occasionally.

Don't open the door, tell them to leave and if need be, and they don't go, call the police but don't be scared and don't think you are weird. You are having a very normal reaction.

08/10/2009 09:47 AM
LeslieI
LeslieI  

Thanks for your support Winter, and for EVERYONE else's. You know I called my Mom for support this morning and she had the nerve to insinuate (sp?) that I was being "paranoid and silly". She said, "Leslie, that's ridiculous, there wouldn't be any sketchy people at your apt complex with all those cars around and with at least 5 people in the office living there". Well I'm like, first of all it's not the job of the office people to go meandering at night around a 500 apt complex looking for suspicious people, and second of all, I don't care if you live in Nob Hill (ritzy area of ABQ), that's not going to stop psychos from being around. I almost jumped down her throat. She has NO idea how bad my agoraphobia is and is always "minimizing" every problem I have. I'm just going to stop telling her ANYTHING about my life and save it for my therapist. I'm supposed to go over to her place for lunch but I'm considering canceling I'm so mad right now. That and she refuses to turn the AC on even though it's going to be 100 degrees again today. So if I do go, and it's 90 degrees in there again, I'm going to turn right around and leave. Do I sound angry or what? Guess the two cups of coffee haven't helped being it's the first caffeine I've had in months...

08/10/2009 09:47 AM
LeslieI
LeslieI  

Thanks for your support Winter, and for EVERYONE else's. You know I called my Mom for support this morning and she had the nerve to insinuate (sp?) that I was being "paranoid and silly". She said, "Leslie, that's ridiculous, there wouldn't be any sketchy people at your apt complex with all those cars around and with at least 5 people in the office living there". Well I'm like, first of all it's not the job of the office people to go meandering at night around a 500 apt complex looking for suspicious people, and second of all, I don't care if you live in Nob Hill (ritzy area of ABQ), that's not going to stop psychos from being around. I almost jumped down her throat. She has NO idea how bad my agoraphobia is and is always "minimizing" every problem I have. I'm just going to stop telling her ANYTHING about my life and save it for my therapist. I'm supposed to go over to her place for lunch but I'm considering canceling I'm so mad right now. That and she refuses to turn the AC on even though it's going to be 100 degrees again today. So if I do go, and it's 90 degrees in there again, I'm going to turn right around and leave. Do I sound angry or what? Guess the two cups of coffee haven't helped being it's the first caffeine I've had in months...

08/10/2009 01:19 PM
mem8011

I think that it is such a sad state off mind to get into that when you hear other peoples troubles that we get scared upset and angry. I have been where you are with strangers at the door. I have to say that it never would occur to me to pull a gun on someone just for knocking at my door! Yes if someone tried to break in but, I think that is a very rare incident. Try not to get so carried away with your feelings. We all need to maintain a sence of saftey until given a reason not to. Just an opinion.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved