MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/07/2009 09:06 PM

Just to get to know people a little better....

chelseamarie
chelseamarie  

What does everyone do for a living?

Are there any others here that can't work because of their Agoraphobia?

03/08/2009 08:53 AM
mem6197

I'm currently on disability because I'm unable to work because of the agoraphobia and panic attacks. I'm hoping to one day get back to work, but right now it isn't possible for me.

I can go out on short trips with one of my "safe" people with me. There are also a couple of places that I can actually drive myself to (when I'm feeling up to it) because they are also "safe" places for me. The only other times I go out are for doc and therapy appts.

03/08/2009 09:33 AM
shrug
shrug  

I am a full-time student and have a very part time job working as an editor for a literary journal at my school. I only make $50 a semester but it keeps me busy. I also volunteer as a conversation partner with a student from Africa and I help maintain my school's recylcing bins. I hope to be starting a paid assistanship program next semester. I'm very nervous about whether I can do it, but am in a very intensive therapy program and hope I can work out my anxiety issues before I start.

03/08/2009 06:02 PM
chelseamarie
chelseamarie  

I do NOTHING. I never leave my house. Right now I'm working on getting my GED from home. And then I'll enroll in online college classes. My dream is to be a professional make-up artist...a fashion designer...a cosmetologist. I want to do just about anything and everything in the field of fashion. But I have to get over this Agoraphobia nonsense first!!

03/08/2009 06:04 PM
chelseamarie
chelseamarie  

Wen,

I have "safe" places and "safe" people too. So I TOTALLY know what you mean! I'm on disability for health insurance. I get medicaid because of my agoraphobia.

03/08/2009 06:34 PM
RobinsonCrusoe

I'm a retired police officer, I was on disability for about 6 years, and then 4 years ago I found a job as an investigator for a national private investigation firm headquartered in another state. My work consists of me, and my dog, spending our days hiding in the back of a covert surveillance vehicle videotaping people suspected of having bogus injury claims. I have zero contact with the public, and all of my contact with my employers is via e-mail and mailing them videos.

It's pretty much a dream job for someone with agoraphobia - though it might be hard to get without the decade of law enforcement experience that I gained prior to the onset of my disorders.

There have been a couple of cases where I have been subpoenaed to testify in court as to the videos I obtained, however, I just wrote the court clerk explaining my condition, and was allowed to provide a video deposition recorded from my home.

03/08/2009 08:03 PM
mem6197

Chelsea, I know what you mean about not doing anything. Except for 2 or 3 reasons, I almost never leave my home. I am trying really hard to work on this and forcing myself to venture out more. Although I do have to take a Valium when I do venture out. I really want to get my life back, but I also know it's going to be a long road to get there. It's not easy, is it!?

03/08/2009 08:14 PM
mem6197

RobinsonCrusoe, that sounds like a great job! I think you're right when you say it's a dream job for those of us with agoraphobia. I'm so glad you are able to do this.

03/10/2009 03:26 PM
Wintersnow

I have my Real Estate license but am not practicing at this time. Don't know that I will ever get back in to it but I do keep my license active (just in case). So right now...I just stay home. My husband (the one with agoraphobia) is a Patent Examiner. He gets to work from home.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved