MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/23/2012 06:19 AM

SSDI Question

banaberry22
banaberry22  

Has anyone applied for SSDI? Did you have to go to the SSDI doctor? I'm just wondering how they expect an agoraphobic to get to those appts, know what I mean? I just started filling out forms and I am really hoping I catch a break lol.

Also, I am CLUELESS as to how to find an attorney if I am denied. I don't know anything about hiring one and what to expect.

I think this thread will be helpful to anyone as clueless as I am about the process

Thanks guys!

05/23/2012 06:22 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16963
VIP Member

Yes I have.

I Called an attorney first to see if I had a case and they told me I did instructed me to apply online.

Then call them when I got my denial.

So I did.

I went to a psychologist and I was deemed from a psychological viewpoint not impaired but I applied for physical issues.

So the appts I do okay with I am able to handle that part.

Filed my appeal was denied again and I'm waiting for my hearing.Smile

05/23/2012 06:41 AM
banaberry22
banaberry22  

If there is a hearing do you have to go or does the attorney go on your behalf? If denied do you have to pay attorney fees?

05/23/2012 06:45 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16963
VIP Member

No attorney fees unless you win.

You do the hearing via video conference call maybe in the attorney's office?

You won't believe it but I do great under pressure you should see me in action.

One day at work a narcotics guy came in from the state to inspect us.

I pulled it off without a hitch.

He had questions and I ad libbed and he was satisfied with all my answers.

My boss was sitting right there watching me with her jaw dropped wide open.

Don't know what happens something takes over.

So obviously yes it's stressful cause you don't know the outcome but I know my track record and so for that reason I think I can represent myself well with the help of my attorney.

05/23/2012 07:24 AM
gofobroke
gofobrokePosts: 118

Attorneys will sometimes wave their fees unless you win a SSDI case. It's called quid pro quo . I met with an attorney who specializes in this area. I applied for SSI first and was turned down. Most people are denied the first time unless you have a severe physical disability. Next step was a free consultation with a lawyer. She reviewed my case. I applied for the various mental illness my pdoc, who I've seen for 4 yrs has treated me for. He sent a letter and information. And papers confirming a few physical issues, degenerative discs, reoccurring pain from 2 hernia surgeries. Anyway she took the case primarily from my pdocs info. Now if I win, than they get 25% of the back pay that I will receive from when I was first denied. If I lose they will get nothing. The hearing will not be for about another 9-10 months. The law firm has about a 90% success rate and only take cases they feel they can win. I was given alot more forms for my pdoc to send in to them and have to document doc and pdoc visits. Thats how it works if a attorney feels they have a good chance to win a ssdi case

05/23/2012 07:46 AM
banaberry22
banaberry22  

Will they contact the doctors for medical records and information or do I have to compile those myself?

05/23/2012 08:10 AM
gofobroke
gofobrokePosts: 118

I was given the form to send to my pdoc and than he forwarded it to them after he was done. I had to get records of my physical conditions from my doc. and I sent those in to them. I keep in communication with the paralegal there to make sure they have received the paperwork and I ask what else they need me to do. Right now it's kind of in a holding pattern. I see my pdoc. monthly and he keeps records of that. I don't have health insurance. So, I have to use mcpn which limits how much care or rehab I can get for my back and the hernia issues. The more info. you can produce to strengthen the case the better.

05/24/2012 02:11 PM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
VIP Member

PM the group leader here jmick. He gave me some wonderful advice while I was trying to get approved. The SSA may send you for a CE, usually during the application stage. They sent me for both a physical and psychological CE and I had extensive medical records.

I used Allsup as my non attorney rep. After two denials, I was approved OTR at the ALJ level. Remember although SS might send you for a CE, they must adhere to the Treating Physician Rule. IOW, what your doctor says carries the most weight. The doctors that the SSA might send you to see are factored into the decision equation but what your doctor says and your medical records is really what matters the most in getting you approved for benefits. Good luck! I was approved for SSDI. It took almost 2 years. Don't let any initial denials bother you. Just appeal and hire a good lawyer or non attorney rep.

banaberry22>>>>>>Has anyone applied for SSDI? Did you have to go to the SSDI doctor? I'm just wondering how they expect an agoraphobic to get to those appts, know what I mean? I just started filling out forms and I am really hoping I catch a break lol. Also, I am CLUELESS as to how to find an attorney if I am denied. I don't know anything about hiring one and what to expect. I think this thread will be helpful to anyone as clueless as I am about the process Thanks guys!

Post edited by: LostInCyberspace12, at: 05/25/2012 07:02 PM

05/25/2012 04:55 PM
banaberry22
banaberry22  

Thank you Lost in Cyberspace, I've accepted the fact that I will probably be denied. I'm hoping if they send me to the dr. it is one nearby. I'm guessing they might have several you can pick from.

05/25/2012 06:48 PM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
VIP Member

@ banaberry22, I know you have agoraphobia and this makes it hard for you to do things like doctor appointments. Question? Have you hired a lawyer or non attorney rep yet? If not and you get denied at the application level (and most people are), you may wanna consider Allsup. They do everything over the phone so you never have to leave your home. This might be really good for someone who suffers with agoraphobia and they can also advise you on what you can / should do if the SSA requires you attend a CE (consultative exam). The group leader here jmick used Allsup and he has agoraphobia and panic disorder. He may not see your post but I know he will reply back to you if you PM him. He really helped me a lot because he had already gotten approved when I was still trying to get approved. Another question? What kind of doctor are you seeing for your anxiety disorder? PCP, PDoc, psychologist? All of these medical professionals are Acceptable Medical Sources. Who DX'ed you you with panic disorder and agoraphobia?

Acceptable medical sources are: Licensed physicians (medical or osteopathic doctors); Licensed or certified psychologists. Included are school psychologists, or other licensed or certified individuals with other titles who perform the same function as a school psychologist in a school setting, for purposes of establishing mental retardation, learning disabilities, and borderline intellectual functioning only (see DI 22505.003C. on licensed or certified individuals who perform the same function as school psychologists);

I am going to ask a friend of mine who use to work for the SSA (DDS) about what happens if you might have trouble attending a CE due to your agoraphobia. He also gave me some valuable advice and pointers when I applied for benefits. I will report back after I talk to him.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved