MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/10/2012 09:31 AM

Anxiety Technique I dare you!

jpooh38

Hi everyone. So I am reading a book from Lucinda Basset. It is called from Panic to Power. I LOVE this book and I figured I would share with you this exercise I am doing. This is very time consuming and takes ALOT of dedication. This is the 3rd time I am doing it as I messed up one day and totally forgot the next time so I had to start all over again. It is SOOOOO worth it though. I dare you to try it!!! Wink

This is from Chapter 4. It explains the type of personality traits we have and how to use it positively.

This section is called: Obsessive Worrying to Goal Setting.

*Instead of obsessing about something negative, we can use our analytical obsessive energy to visualize and create something wonderful.

Take a piece of paper and answer these questions:

What is you most common obsessive thought? How often do you obsess about this? When does it seem to come on? When you're tired? Before bed? Any other time?

Can you pinpoint what you don't want to deal with that is causing you to think obsessive thoughts?

What could you do to face this problem?

Now on this paper write a paragraph about your obsessive thought. Don't worry how bad it may look or if it makes you anxious write it.

Here is an example:

What if I go crazy? Could I end up in a mental institution? I couldn't live in a mental institution. Is this the beginning of insanity? Am I going to just flip out and never come back? What would happen to my kids and family? Would anyone still love me?

Now turn the paragraph into something humorous.

I am going to imagine myself going bananas. I'm going to picture myself in a monkey suit running up and down the street kissing people and passing our bananas.

Read your answers 10 times a day for the next 2 weeks until it bores you (the 2 paragraphs you have written Fear and Funny). This is important. The idea here is to expose yourself to this thought enough times that it becomes old and no longer produces anxiety.

~Lucinda Basset: From Panic to Power

Sunday I will be done with my 2 weeks of reading my own answers. I have to tell you as I was reading them last night I started answering my first paragraph of fears and each thing I was answering I gave the answer NO that won't happen. It has sunk in to the point of not only annoyance lol but of wait a second these things haven't happened yet and won't happen. Jot these things down on your paper you don't have to write it in the forum. But I would love to know who is willing to give this a try! Smile

05/10/2012 10:20 AM
mimi84
mimi84Posts: 9296
VIP Member

WOW this is great stuff Jenn thank you for sharing!!!! I am going to do this! Smile

05/10/2012 10:21 AM
valentin

A similar technique to 'paradoxical intention' by eric frome.

05/10/2012 10:35 AM
jpooh38

Valentin- I will have to check that out! Smile

Mimi- Yay!!!! Try it you wont be disappointed! Wink

05/10/2012 10:40 AM
mimi84
mimi84Posts: 9296
VIP Member

I got a notebook all ready! Smile

05/10/2012 11:50 AM
jpooh38

W00t!!! Smile Smile Smile

I have more that I will post. I will wait til next week for that. Wink

Post edited by: jpooh38, at: 05/10/2012 11:50 AM

05/10/2012 12:23 PM
blue30

Starting this today! Smile

05/10/2012 12:41 PM
jpooh38

Yay Blue30!!!! Smile Smile Smile

05/10/2012 07:45 PM
aimeep80
aimeep80  
I'm an Advocate

Thanks for sharing Jenn, I will try this as soon as I get a notebook. I don't have any paper in the house yet (we just moved). I have heard a lot about Lucinda Basset's program..seems really cool. Thanks again!

05/11/2012 11:08 AM
jpooh38

Yay Aimee!!! Smile Smile Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved