MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/28/2012 12:28 AM

My name is Whitney and I am a hypochondriac

Etherealgirl

I suffer from season allergies as well as year round chronic sinus problems (post nasal drip).

Lately we've been having high pollen counts and my throat has been dry/sore and my ears have been full of congestion (my ears do not hurt).

I decided to take a look at my throat in the mirror and I realized I can stick my tongue out pretty dang far! LOL! Anyway, I know there are tons of tastebuds on your tongue, the larger ones in the back forming a V are called circumvallate papillae, well those as well as my tongue seem to look normal but past the circumvallate papillae I noticed more pink bumps that were raised up and some even touched one another.

Does anyone know what those are? Are they normal? I don't know how long I've had them b/c I've never looked that far back b4. For all I know they could have been there awhile and could be normal. I have the tendency to freak out when I notice new things about me.

You do have to stick out your tongue pretty dang far to see them.

Has anyone been to an ENT doctor before and have comment on what causes these?

By the way No, I do not have HPV or warts or herpes of the mouth. lol! I don't smoke either.

These bumps do not hurt! They are not the V circumvallate papillae, they are further back!!

If you don't know and read this Please look and get back to me, I will love you forever.

I really appreciate the answers. Thanks!

Sincerely, Nutzoooo girl Smile

This is the ONLY thing I've found that sounds similar to me but it still doesn't tell me if they are normal or what they are. Feel free to read!

http://www.steadyhealth.com/ Enlarged_Circumvallate_Papillae_t210543.html

Post edited by: Etherealgirl, at: 04/28/2012 01:01 AM

04/28/2012 01:55 AM
Etherealgirl

I am so happy to have a reply! I talked a bit about this to Jenn and still kinda am freaked out. Jenn, if you are reading this, feel free to reassure me some more! Smile

I wouldn't have been so worried but I either feel like it MUST be cancerous or I must have had an allergic reaction to something I ate (I have a major phobia of dying of anaphylaxis even though I have no food allergies that I'm aware of). I need to stop monitoring my body it is turning me into a crazy fool. From the time I noticed these bumps on the back of my tongue until now (even now) I've been researching! And since nothing is coming up that I am satisfied with I am feeling something must be wrong. I did find that one post of the woman who sounds to have the same problem bumps behind the V. I really hope I'm okay I have food issues so now I'm scared I am allergic to something I ate. I would think there would be more "symptoms" than bumps. OMG. I feel so ashamed I am actually post in about this.

Thank you, David.

04/28/2012 02:27 AM
Etherealgirl

How dare you spell my name wrong, Daivd Wink

04/28/2012 02:47 AM
Etherealgirl

LOL! What's more dull than Whitney. Please David. At least our personalities make up for it! Smile

04/28/2012 05:51 AM
mrg071189
mrg071189  

Hey Whit, how did you notice that these bumps were on the very back of your tongue if you weren't experiencing any pain from them? I tried pulling my tongue out to try to see if I had any but I have a horrible gag reflex so, needless to say, I failed lol. I am an extreme hypochondriac too, girl! I am constantly coming up with new things that are wrong with me. My mom told me not to ever look on the internet for stuff like this, because they ALWAYS give you worst case scenarios. If I were you, I would try gargling salt water a couple times a day for a couple days. If they don't go down or go away by then, then call a doctor and ask them about it. Usually if you call your local hospital with a question, they'll connect you to someone who can answer it for you. I HIGHLY doubt it's anything to worry about though. Your sinuses and allergies are probably just irritating it. Don't work yourself up over it! Smile

04/28/2012 05:57 AM
mrg071189
mrg071189  

tum

LOL Smile

04/28/2012 06:01 AM
mrg071189
mrg071189  

Me: Okay, I have a sore throat, bit of a headache, what do you think—

WebMD: It's testicular cancer.

Me: But that's impossi—

WebMD: Testicular. Cancer.

Me: There's no way, you have to be—

WebMD: Whoa, looks like you're having a stroke.

Me: What—

WebMD: You're dead.

04/28/2012 06:06 AM
mrg071189
mrg071189  

04/28/2012 08:55 AM
Etherealgirl

OMG Megs! You are so fucking funny! We will get along well! Ya, I need to stop scanning myself for symptoms. I looked back in my mouth because I've had a dry/sore throat from seasonal allergies. The tongue bumps themselves are not painful. I notice the littlest things wrong with me. OMG a weird bump? It's gotta be melanoma!

04/28/2012 09:11 AM
jpooh38

WHITNEY!!!!!!!! Don't stress anymore. Think of it this way if it was an allergic reaction that could cause anaphylaxis symptoms you would have already felt it and not be on here typing so you can cross that out ASAP. Wink. Stop looking at your tongue. lol. I know way easier said than done. Just keep telling yourself that its just my tastebuds. Saying all day long and just walk away from the mirrors. See the thing is also that you have always had them like that you just now happened to notice them. Wink So that could bring you some relief. For extra try and see if maybe Monday you can go to a dr, or call a dr and tell ask them some questions about it. I am more than sure they will tell you its normal. Plus your young and healthy so try not to create something that isn't there. Trust me that will be more anxiousness you are just giving yourself. Smile Smile Smile Be calm my friend you are A-Okay! Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved