Ask a Question
04/02/2012 06:41 AM

Self- Soothing Strategies for Anxiety Prevention a

mimi84
mimi84Posts: 9269
VIP Member

Self- Soothing Strategies for Anxiety Prevention and Reduction

Just wanted to share this with you all. Smile

1. Recall a particular event from your past that captured feelings of being cherished and comforted, or of mastery and strength. Simply enjoy the recollection without trying to achieve any particular goal.

2. Go biking or running or attend an exercise class. Work up a spectacular sweat, take a hot shower, then collapse onto your bed and savor the feelings of fatigue and relaxation in your muscles.

3. Devote some time to aimlessly pottering about- time spent with absolutely no goals in mind.

4. Hug a cherished stuffed animal, or in some other way connect with an object associated with a secure time in your life.

5. Arrange for an hour- or even fifteen minutes- of total solitude. If you wish to, use it to meditate using whatever method you find most calming.

6. Throw a pot, perform a hand craft you enjoy or cook something just for the pleasure of it.

7. Go for a drive and empty your mind of everything but the sights and sounds around you or enjoy whatever thoughts drift through.

8. Leaf through a photo album and reminisce about some of the funny, warm times you've had.

9. Go through some harmless routine you enjoy: Make a cup of tea and drink it while sitting in your favorite chair with your favorite quilt over your legs. Draw calm from the regularity of the routine, as well as from the content.

10. Invent a delightful daydream ad savor it thoroughly, beginning to end.

04/02/2012 06:47 AM
mem1162

Throw a pot (#6). I'm working on an interpretation of that one which does not involve vegetarian chili in a cat's hair.

04/02/2012 12:09 PM
blue30

Nice list Mimi!! I need to work on some of these...

04/02/2012 12:11 PM
mimi84
VIP Member

Smile

04/02/2012 12:18 PM
mem6197

This is a great list Mimi.

Another thing that I do when very anxious, is coloring (don't laugh). I concentrate on the coloring and think of nothing else. I find it to be relaxing for me.

04/02/2012 12:23 PM
mimi84
VIP Member

04/03/2012 11:44 AM
blue30

lol

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved