MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/02/2012 11:49 AM

Not So Sure

MommyEmmy
MommyEmmyPosts: 5

I Have just Been Diagnosed with Agoraphobia, I am 18, a new mom and just dont know where to go from here. I can Barely Leave my house

PLEASE HELP!!

02/02/2012 12:19 PM
jpooh38

Hi MommyEmmy welcome to the group! Smile Here you will find a lot of us who can relate to what you are going through. Remember baby steps! Smile How far can you go and how long have you had agoraphobia for? Please feel free to read through past and current threads.

02/02/2012 12:21 PM
devlin
devlin  
VIP Member

Emmy....we know your distressed Smile, we all relate to how you feel, talking it out is the best thing you can do, Smile, could you tell us a little more about your symptoms Smile are you taking meds ?....do you have a Pdoc ?.....is your family helping you ?....do you have a close family member that you can talk to ?....are you totaly housebound ?.....

02/03/2012 10:07 AM
PerryM
PerryM  
VIP Member

Welcome to the group Emmy. Smile A good place to start is reading thru the post here and researching agoraphobia online. You are not alone. We help each other here so please continue to post. Rest assured... things will get better for you.

02/03/2012 10:18 AM
TennisP
TennisPPosts: 2439

This is something that can be changed but the only way to change it is to stop avoiding places and when you are somewhere and feel anxious/afraid, just sit down and calm yourself....don't levae until you are calm or else your brain will remember it that way and it'll be harder to re-enter the next time.

You are so young I'm so sorry to hear this... please call and find yourself a therapist who is experienced to help you out. Your brain has to relearn to not be scared places by going there and relearning that you can calm down and be okay there....this cannot be overcome by logic alone you have to go and be in the places over and over and stay there until calm...

02/03/2012 09:44 PM
MommyEmmy

so nice to know there are people like me out there, i felt so alone!! I have had the symptoms for almost a year but was diagnosed only a few weeks ago. I have horrible panic attacks, anxiety, and i often feel like the world isnt real. this generally happens when i am in the car, at the store, or in the mall.. but sometimes it even happens when i am home (i also suffer from claustrophobia)

i just cant tell uf my boyfriend understands.. my Mother and (1 month old) son are the only ones who Do.. my family is slightly judgmental so i have not really told anyone yet.. I am NOT currently seeing anyone for this problem but i am looking. I have also refused meds.

I am not completely house-bound, but am getting very close. i can go to the store, but usually only with my mother(she seems to be my safety)

02/03/2012 10:31 PM
TennisP
TennisPPosts: 2439

Please get yourself a therapist to work with ...you need to have help to overcome this!

02/04/2012 07:23 AM
KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

Welcome Emmy.

I can understand why you would not want to take meds, but there are herbal remedies to help with the symptoms. Here is a site to get you started

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/conditionsatod/a/ Anxiety.htm

What type of coping skills do you have?

Cheryl

Post edited by: KittenMittens, at: 02/04/2012 07:23 AM

02/04/2012 09:32 PM
MommyEmmy

thank you guys very much.. it seems to be getting worse very day

02/07/2012 11:00 PM
MommyEmmy

im having horrible anxiety and panic attacks at night and cant sleep..any tips??

<3

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved