MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/30/2012 10:41 AM

Professional Help?

Tbarna

I went off my meds the beginning of the month, and the panic/agor monsters are back! While I am not surprised, I am upset. I was really hoping that I finally got to the point where I could deal without meds. My husband and I want to have another baby, and I don't want to be taking anything while pregnant.

So, I just wanted to get everyones opinion on getting professional help.

I have been to 2 psychiatrists, and I found them to basically be pill pushers. They both diagnosed me with panic disorder/moderate agoraphobia, but did not seem to have an interest in any talk therapy.

I've been wanting to try a psychologist for a while, but they are expensive! (The psychiatrists were covered by Canadian health care, psychologists are not).

What about a therapist? I feel like they may not be qualified enough.

Thanks for any of your stories/suggestions!

01/30/2012 02:06 PM
frog44

I have had great experiences with mft's ...therapists as you would call it. They listened much better. Yes psychiatrists always want to push the mess. Psychologists i haven't had any experience with. Hope that helps...

01/30/2012 02:52 PM
TennisP
TennisPPosts: 2439

The important criteria is to find someone who has experience treating people with your issues and not just text book knowledge.

I would suggest a psychologist.

You can find some therapists online at supportgroups.com That's where I "go" for my weekly sessions online (it's like Skype 1:1 with a therapist)

01/30/2012 03:04 PM
Tbarna

Online therapy? How do you like it?!

01/30/2012 03:06 PM
mem4302

Tennis: Do they work with insurance companies, or do you have to pay everything out of pocket?

01/30/2012 03:15 PM
TennisP

They told me they were working on getting insurance to help pay for people's costs but in the mean time I made a deal with them to offer me the rate I could afford (which is my co-pay that I would be paying if they did take insurance) Ask your insurance company if they would cover online therapy....or they may offer you a flat rate too, there are several therapists on there and I'm not sure how that would work or if they only have a special set up with the one I'm working with. Go to their website at supportgroups.com and email or click on the contact choices and ask if they can offer you a deal.....otherwise it's at least $1/minute regular rates....so let's say if you could afford $20 a session it'd be 20 minutes long of course if they say no to changing their prices just start asking!!...

01/30/2012 03:17 PM
TennisP

It's helpful doing it from home . I had always gone to people's offices when I "just had anxiety/panic disorder" but with the agoraphobia problem it made it stressful to leave to their office so now I do this online once a week.

Hope that helps you

01/30/2012 03:42 PM
PerryM
PerryM  
VIP Member

I had a therapist once that worked for the local school system. He used to come to my house and he was fantastic! My insurance didn't cover it so I had to stop. My advice, look around until you find someone that you are happy with. Since therapist can't prescribe drugs talk is what they are best at. Give it a try... you have nothing to lose. Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved