MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/21/2011 04:22 PM

Medication Anxiety

dandelionS
dandelionSPosts: 14

Do you ever procrastinate for a really long time about putting your pills together, and miss taking them in the process? Are your medications a source of anxiety for you?

This happens to me every once in a while. The pills are a big help, but I don't want to think about them. I don't want to seperate them into their weekly case. I miss taking them and don't function because of this anxiety.

09/21/2011 05:58 PM
KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

Why don't you want to put them in a weekly case to remember to take them?

09/21/2011 06:00 PM
Anna321
Anna321  
VIP Member

You know, I do not keep my medication in boxes. I take straight out of the bottle. Sometimes it is a problem. I have been doing that for the past 15 years and it has become an automatic behavior. So automatic that sometimes I don't remember whether I took my morning meds. That can cause me anxiety. I start listening to my body for clues and of course we all know that if we listen to our bodies hard enough, we WILL become anxious!!! lol

09/21/2011 06:43 PM
dandelionS
dandelionSPosts: 14

I sometimes forget whether I've taken my medicine, too, Anna. That's one of the reasons the week boxes help. Plus I have a lot of meds to take, it would take a long time to take them individually every day.

Why don't I want to take my meds? That's a good question, KittenMittens. I hate being dependent on them, it hurts my self-esteem. They cost a lot of money that I don't have. I've been taking them since I was seven, something my parents forced on me, antidepressants that I did not think I needed at the time and were not approved for my age group. To this day I wonder if they did more harm than good.

Medicating yourself is essentially poisioning yourself. I don't want to think about my disorders, and their treatment too much. All of these things are a cause of anxiety. Thinking about meds is like thinking of a long To Do List. Right now, I think that it's motstly that I hate being dependent. Makes me feel incapable and weak.

It's strange, I've never talked to anyone about this so much before.

09/22/2011 05:28 AM
CrissyL
CrissyL  
VIP Member

Hi Dandelion Smile A Dr. once told me 2 things to help with medication anxiety:

1. Think of it as your vitamin (ya, not real powerful, but it's something) Wink

2. (I like this one) If you had to take meds for your heart, kidneys, cancer, thyroid, etc. you wouldn't feel "guilty" or "controlled" by them would you? Well, then why should meds for your brain chemicals be any different. It's a condition and you need to treat it with meds, just like millions of other people treat all kinds of conditions with medications.

I've gotten past the med guilt...I've learned after 20-some years, that even when I'm feeling better, and dont' want to be dependent on medication, if I got off of it I will crash and it's just not worth it.

I don't understand why we all think that meds for mental health are any less "valid" than meds for other conditions...isn't that strange? I know because I am guilty of the same. Dizzy

09/22/2011 05:29 AM
CrissyL
CrissyL  
VIP Member

and PS....those med boxes are essential for me otherwise I can't remember what I've taken!! Smile Smile Smile

09/25/2011 08:07 AM
TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I need to use a pill box lately too. Like Anna, I have went from religiously taking my meds to not remembering if I have taken them. It blends some days. I also take mine directly out from the bottle, too.

My anxiety isn't in taking them but rather forgetting to take them. It all blends some days and I am terrified of running out of meds, especially now that I am on Effexor. I ran out for a week in early July because of a screw up at the pharmacy, I ran out and I had a panic attack for almost a week straight. I thought I was dying. It was absolutely horrible. It is a withdrawal symptom though and I don't have benzos to help deal with it. I also found that I was taking double doses some days too. NOT a good idea to take another dose if you think you have forgotten. Makes a person very, very sick.

I can't find my pill box and I always forget to get a new one. I am glad that I only take 2 meds right now. I don't mind taking them, I just don't like splitting them up because it does make me forget.

It pisses me off when others seem to look down at us and think we are junkies because we take pills. Whatever! I will do everything and anything to heal and if it means taking medication then so be it! This is a physical illness not "just in our heads".

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved