MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/08/2011 04:56 AM

Ins and outs of SSD SSi

banaberry22
banaberry22  

Hi I need some information about the process for applying for disability. I feel as if my agoraphobia is on the extreme end and I should apply for disability. I know they like to deny like nothing else, anyway what is the process like? Do you have to go to a doctor they assign?? I don't know if I can do this which worries me. How do home bound people get disability?? It just seems like there aren't ways to help agoraphobia even though it is so prevalent...we are a group of the disabled in which there are enough accommodating services...for example I would love to get vocational rehab but I can't travel the hour by subway to get there. Anyway thanks for any responses!

08/08/2011 06:18 AM
SillyOMe
SillyOMePosts: 21588
VIP Member

Hi!

I was just approved about a month ago for SSI

I have a diary entry with comments from myself called just a note that gives little comments on the process and how fast it went. I'm told I got my approval quickly compared to others. It took one denial from them and a whole lot of paperwork!

There is also a site on here about SSDI http://www.mdjunction.com/social-security-disability-advice

Kevin if you read this: You are wanted over there! Go check it out. LOL

08/08/2011 06:29 AM
banaberry22
banaberry22  

Thank i will check these out

08/08/2011 07:02 AM
SillyOMe
SillyOMePosts: 21588
VIP Member

Cool! I commented on your comment on my diary!! <-- sounds so weird!

08/08/2011 07:07 AM
banaberry22
banaberry22  

lol thanks...I guess I will ask questions here in case this helps anyone else...did they send you to a specific doc?Or just used your records??

08/08/2011 10:56 AM
mem6197

When I applied for SSD, I was approved very quickly - within 3 months and no denials. Which is just unheard of. It helped that I had 3 doctors who could show documentation regarding my condition. It wasn't just the agoraphobia in my case though.

I didn't/don't have to see an assigned doc....I have my own PCP, psychiatrist and therapist. Hope that helps.

08/08/2011 11:23 AM
jmick
jmickPosts: 13899
VIP Member

When you ask how someone with agoraphobia applies, I assume you mean the having to go out part, etc. I would strongly recommend anyone applying for disability to get a representative, but even more so for someone with agoraphobia. They'll handle everything for you so you don't have to deal with it.

Being on disability, whether it's SSI or SSDI, you have no responsibility to go to a certain doctor, they will simply collect medical records for the doctors you do go to. As part of the review process they will probably send you to their own doctor, but that's not for treatment, it's simply to collect information for the review. This person only sees you for a very brief session, so the information they collect won't be nearly as important as the information collected from your own doctors. It's pretty much essential that you have a doctor who keeps thorough records and agrees that you are disabled.

Hehe... Silly I'm sure they are asking for me. I'm too stressed out right now to deal with another group, especially that one. Just can't handle it. I found someone else to become a leader and I can't even bring myself to go over there. Another fun side effect of agoraphobic withdrawal...

08/09/2011 04:17 AM
banaberry22
banaberry22  

Thanks that really helps and encourages me to apply. I am going to speak to the doc about it but these docs just keep telling you that you will get better...I'm doubtful as to their experience with agoraphobics, my docs seem to be newbies...anyway thats another story

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved