MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/22/2011 08:35 PM

Agor and learning disablities?

Irishangel88
Irishangel88  
VIP Member

I think a lot of my anxiety dealing with people does stem from my learning disablities. I know, I'm intelligent, but since eighth grade i've been special ed in school. One of the reasons was my PTSD and panic, they called it "emotional disablities". But the other half of it is that I have issues processing stuff. Like especially with math or science, i'd get confused and then i'd get angry, and then i'd panic. And I couldn't process how to actually figure it out until I got calmed down. And I think that carries into a lot of my life, even how I process things when i'm in a panic attack or when i'm upset or angry. I, (and i'm only talking about this because it's the best example Silly, and this is something you need to know, it explains why we squabble sometimes). I know everybody has an opinion, but I can't process a disagreeing opinion until i'm calmed down.....it just makes me angry. (see Silly, it's not personal.....it's just your timing and my learning disablity). Like i'm so paranoid sometimes interacting with people that I'll have trouble processing something they said, or something they ask me to do, and then they'll think i'm an idiot. And I do know i'm far from an idiot, i'm very intelligent.....but I don't want anybody to think i'm stupid, ever. ok, this is ranting, but I guess I can sum this all up in one question: Does anybody else have learning disablities, and if so, how have they impacted your agor?

04/22/2011 11:06 PM
SillyOMe
SillyOMePosts: 21588
VIP Member

My son has frustration issues. That's what the school calls it. He gets frustrated that he can't process something right and gets angry. Then he plays the victim card. It's exhausting for those around him. I have dealt with this all his life.

When I get anxious I sometimes just totally block information. It just gets lost. I can think straight when no one is around, but throw people in the mix, and I'm acting a feeling stupid.

So, I know how frustrating it can be.

04/22/2011 11:16 PM
LIBBYZ
LIBBYZ  

They did not have such a thing called learning disabilities when I was in school. I think.

I have always had math phobia, and them mom told me girls are never good at math. I believed her till I grew up and found out differently.

I had pe phobia because I was afraid of people and afraid of team sports. Till I was about 35 I would feel the phobia when I walked into a locker room.

I love science. I love reading. I love learning about animals. I can "think straight" as silly said, when I am alone. If I feel some one dislikes me I become a blithering idiot.

I am afraid people will dislike me because I have a good vocabulary, so I adjust it till I sound like an illiterate dropout. I have some kind of disability about people.

Hope this makes sense.

04/23/2011 06:50 AM
Irishangel88
Irishangel88  
VIP Member

So do you think that agor was a huge part of your learning disablities?

04/23/2011 09:26 AM
SillyOMe
SillyOMePosts: 21588
VIP Member

No, not agoraphobia... anxiety.

04/23/2011 12:49 PM
kmripple

Sometimes, even after a very intense day at work but no anxiety (yet plenty of stress), I will not understand anything you say to me. It's like someone turned off a button and I can hear noise and the person's lips moving, but I am unable to understand. It gets worse when I am anxious. When I panic, you lost me completely. It happened during my last visit to my therapist. And I guess she could see it because she actually stopped midsentence and asked me to repeat what she had said.

I don't have a learning disability, but I can see how having one can cause anxiety which in turn will make it harder to process information and concepts.

04/23/2011 02:08 PM
Rea
Rea  
VIP Member

I have been told by teachers that I have a learning problem. I do not comprehend things like I should. And I have to be told things alot of times to get them into my thick skull. It is easier for me if I can see what you want and actually do it at the same time that I have no problem with and I actually learn faster that way. But, just telling me things is very hard for me to comprehend sometimes. I am very programed as to how I do things. I have a set way I cook and clean and do the wash and those chores actually calm me down,because how I do them is engrained in me.Habit you know.But, I am in no way smart I am average in intelligence but I do strive to learn all the timeSmile

04/23/2011 04:18 PM
Irishangel88
Irishangel88  
VIP Member

I can relate to that Rea, I have my routines for everything......even the side of the street I walk on, and deviating from that gives me anxiety. Today me and my mom took the dog for a walk, and we had to cross the street because there were some people coming up and we didn't want the dog to freak out, and it nearly gave me a heart attack because I NEVER walk on that side of the street.

04/23/2011 08:00 PM
LIBBYZ
LIBBYZ  

Oh dear Irish. Does your dog have anxiety too?

04/23/2011 09:30 PM
Rea
Rea  
VIP Member

Erin I cannot cross a street by myself and even have anxiety when someone is with me,so I know it is hard to navigate when you mind says do not go that way!! I am working slowly up to crossing a two lane street by myself but for right now I am happy I can walk outside now and even around the block with less anxiety than six months ago. I know it is frustrating just taking baby steps but I feel better this way. I think you have done very well getting out of the houseSmile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved