MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/29/2011 01:41 PM

Nervous about telling landlord I'm moving

fashfur

I found a place today that will be ready in March, April at the latest. I know I have to tell my landlord I'm moving, but I'm really nervous about it. I don't want to piss him off or screw him over. I'm trying to ask around so I might be able to find him a new tenant. Should I wait til I find someone, or tell him now, and that I'm looking...?

01/29/2011 01:45 PM
kellie1172
kellie1172  

Your landlord is used to this kind of thing. You have plenty of time to give him more than a 30 day notice so I wouldn't worry about it. Is it the mobile home you were telling us about that is in the country??? That would be great!!!

01/29/2011 02:26 PM
jmick
jmickPosts: 13899
VIP Member

Will you be moving out before your lease is up? (If you have a lease). If not, it's really not your problem to find someone new to move in -- that's his job. If you don't have a lease, or if you're renting month-to-month, I would let him know as early as possible that you will be moving out. BUT... I would not recommend telling him you're moving out until you have a firm date as to when the new place will be ready. The last thing you want is to be stuck in the middle with nowhere to stay.

01/29/2011 03:52 PM
fashfur

Kelli, it's not the one I told you about, but the guy who owns it also owns another so close to my parent's house I can see their house. A two bedroom with a big fenced in yard, and a large shed (for a photo studio Smile)

Kevin, my lease was up two and 1/2 years ago. He never asked me to renew it. The guy that owns the trailer doesn't know if the people there now will be leaving in March or April. He says the guy is moving to change jobs. He said he can't promise they'll actually move, even, but I don't think he would have mentioned the place and told me where it was so I could drive by, if he wasn't pretty sure they weren't moving...

I just feel guilty for moving. I think the landlord thought I'd be here longer than the three + years I've been here. But how was I to know Gage would be living with me again, or that I'd get the idea to start this pet photography thing? He's been real nice. I don't know why I always am so scared of upsetting people.

01/29/2011 04:22 PM
mem8445

Amy living month to month without a lease isn't fun but you are not obligated to find anyone to take your place either.

I'm certain he will have no problem renting it out as finding places (as you have found out) is not easy.

He'll probably even raise the rent LOL!! But like everyone has mentioned I wouldn't tell him anything till you are certain!!! It could back fire on you and then where would you go?

Please have patience here and don't jump the gun as I call it.

You are only oblgated to give him a 30 day notice and nothing more!!

It's so nice that you are worried about his feelings but really I don't think he'll be as upset as you have made it to be in your mind.

Dream of how nice your new place will be and stop dwelling on the negitive issues and how someone will feel about you.

You deserve a freah new start and think of only that right now.

I really hope this all works out for you as you deserve it and things will fall into place if you let them......Stop worring about the landlord!!!

01/29/2011 05:05 PM
fashfur

Thanks Fidget. You're right, I'll start making plans like how to fix the shed up. Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved