MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/25/2010 09:14 PM

quotes, letting go of negative people, etc

maya1
maya1  

Hello my dear friends,

I have been going through the stress being a new author without a clue. As a result, I went on Facebook for the first time. I decided to try to be a force for good and try to end the stigma of agoraphobia and panic and mental problems in general.

I got the idea of looking up positve quotes as my status most of the time. I ended up finding a quote that had no author. It was in a packet my therapist gave me but was so useful that I must share it here.

YOU ARE THE LOCK AND YOU ARE THE KEY. It is so true. We have to be the investigators in our own life to unlock the jam that keep us stuck in our illness. I really believe with the right tools, we can be the key; the master key with other keys as helpers. such as meds, therapists, yoga exercise etc. I did this by inheriting a journal from my mother and starting to write down both our stories which became my memoir. It helped get me out of the state of confusion I was in all my life. "Mom is sick, don't bother her" What kind of sick? meaningful glances no answers. As I say in one chapter.

"My mother had agoraphobia before the word was official recognized" She never went out, she was sick. I believe in truth, so I told her story, my story and unlocked my past and took out the garbage. I am not in any way the poster child of mental health, but I don't hate myself anymore which brings me to my second subject.

I have a friend who is negative, bright, mean, love books and travel as much as I do, and I have helped by letting her stay in my house many times. Not now. But she has no boundaries so I have to let her out of my life yet it is hard. I always hated confrontation so if anyone has any ideas about how to do this let me know. I think she must remind me of my mother in some way. She is a drinker, maybe an alcoholic,as her parents were. She gets mean and scary.

The etc. is to let you all know that this site has been a lifeline for me for a long time. When I'm happy, when I'm in trouble mentally, or when I have proud moments,I know I can always count on the good people here to give me something positive. So, I wish you all fantastic healthy new years. I'm on facebook so look me up and check out my pics and page. I still intend to be here a lot because "facebook or "fakebook as it is sometimes called doesn't hold a candle to MD Junction. But as Regis says. "I'm only one man" uh woman in my case.

Me ke aloha (withe all my love) Maya

Post edited by: maya1, at: 12/25/2010 09:25 PM

12/26/2010 02:34 AM
SillyOMe
SillyOMePosts: 21588
VIP Member

I had to let go of my best friend in high school up until I was 30. It ended up just being a short phone conversation. But, it had to be done.

Just say the truth.. how you feel, and say good-bye. Don't drag the conversation out. Just write down what you want to say.. then say it. Then it's done.

I know how you feel Maya.

I like the quote.

Also, I am on Amazon right now, I see that your book is only available for the Kindle. I don't have one of those... sorry! I wish I could read it.

12/26/2010 06:24 AM
jmick
jmickPosts: 13899
VIP Member

Maya, could you post a link to your facebook profile? There are TONS of people on there with your name so I couldn't figure out which one was you Tongue

12/26/2010 07:35 AM
kellie1172
kellie1172  

Yes, please post a link to your facebook!!!

12/26/2010 07:49 AM
jmick
jmickPosts: 13899
VIP Member

Oh and Silly, the book isn't out in print form yet but you can buy an e-book (pdf format). I don't have the link but I bought it on the website Maya posted at some point.

12/26/2010 01:02 PM
Rea
Rea  
VIP Member

Maya, I agree with Silly truth is best. Just explain that her being mean makes you distrust her and instead of ending the relationship in some horrible argument you would like to end the friendship on good terms. I know what you mean about toxic people my parents and brothers and sisters have been toxic for me. But, I have not had any bad times since I decide not to let them have say about me, my life,where it go, or what I do. I keep them at a distance and it is the best thing I ever did for myself. My mind is much clearer about them and my feeling are much better about myself as well,I love them but they are not good for me.If a food makes you sick you stop eating it,well when a friend or family makes you sad,depressed,angry or any other negative feeling you should give them up too!! Surround yourself with people who love you and care about you and you will feel ten times better. I do not know if this helped it is just how I look at it!! HUGS for you,MayaSmile

12/26/2010 02:57 PM
maya1
maya1  

Thank you. You are right about letting her go but in her case I have this irational fear that might come from my childhood. She is like the witches I used to think were all around me because of a comic book I read. I fear her for some reason. And some part of me still wants her but knows our friendship has to end. I love you all, and thank you Kevin for the tip. It's coming after I walk my doggies. Love ya all

12/26/2010 06:49 PM
Ladygaga
Ladygaga  
VIP Member

I have believed for a long time that letting negative or toxic people go is the very best thing you can do for yourself .No one should have a relationship that makes them miserable ,scared or uneasy ,esp those of us who have enough to deal with already .I'm also in favour of avoiding or removing emotional vampires..the ones who simply by being who they are manage to suck all the positivity out of you and leave you feeling exhausted .I had a friend like that ,never a good word to say about anyone or anything ,never ever happy unless she was complaining ,life improved considerably after her influence was removed .

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved