MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/14/2010 05:43 PM

Federally Funded Doctors Vs Private Practice

Gen1975
Gen1975  

Hello all,

I had a question for the group. Recently I have been underway in making a SS case for myself. Part of that is finding an affordable medical doctor. Since I am on the state's medicaid plan there are not many doctors to choose from so I had to make the oh so dreadful trip to a local federally funded clinic. I needed to get bloodwork and a check up so that my Psychiatrist could start me on medication. The doctor looked at me like I had 20 heads when explaining about my issues. She was very quick to say well I can not recommend psychiatric medication and I can not tell you what to take and what not to take that is what you will have to discuss with him. Hmmm so I said okay well he just wants clearance that I am medically sound to be taking medication... you could see his point right? I have not seen a medical doctor since 2003. Well again she stared at me and said yes we can do the blood work. I would like to go into a huge rant about the service but I will spare all of you. What I would like to know is that should your medical doctor be just as hands on with you regarding your agora and other mental problems just as your Psychiatrist or was I expecting the wrong thing. I really want to just go back to my previous private practice doctor to have her review the blood work once it is done but an out of pocket visit is so expensive, I am so confused. I mean does anyone know what role a medical doctor has in a Social Security case of someone who has major Mental Health problems? I mean honestly when I saw the psychiatrist I thought since he was an MD he could have done the blood work etc. I do see the point of getting a check up but was just wondering how often I need to involve a internal MD to have a case stand up.

Hope this wasn't too confusing LOL. As always I think of this group often. I don't know how I am going to get through the next month because of all these medical appointments and everyone looks at me like I am from outerspace when I try to explain about the Agor. Do you think it is just best to keep your head down and suffer in silence? I am starting to think so. I just do not know how social security can expect you to get to these appointments if you have severe homebound agoraphobia, isn't that the point of filing.

11/14/2010 06:13 PM
KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

That is a very good question, Jen. I know that I have several doctors but was able to assign my primary care physician as my SS/Workers Comp doctor. He is like the quarterback of the team. He is the one that prescribes the meds and sends me out for referrals. He also was the one that sent me to my current Psych.

Sometimes you are dealing with doctor's egos. You are in the midst of moving, so don't stress too much.

Cheryl

11/14/2010 06:20 PM
jstsIm
jstsIm  
VIP Member

Oh Gen, I know exactly what your going thru! For years I had that problem. Just this year I finally found first a therapist, then an MD, and then a wonderful Pdoc!

I called SS with the same questions that you have! Stupid as it sounds, they could care less! If you want the benifits you play their way or you get denied!

I was seeking help thru Mental Health America when I developed a plan to end it all! I called them for HELP. They convinced me it would be best for me to go to a psych facility for 3 days for an eval and to get put on meds that would help . So I went. They took me to a county hospital in another city, I was court ordered to an extended stay, (89 days) and then was taken to another city and put in a board and care facility for 5 months!

I recieved NO help at all really. I was over medicated to the point of not even knowing who I was or where I was! But someone wanted to get paid for all of that time driving me beyond madness, so they applied for SSI on my behalf! That was the only positive thing that happened! I even got Medi-cal!

I probably shouldn't have said all that stuff, it's just I have real trust issues with Professionals! Others tho will give you good advice and experiences!

Good Luck Gen!

11/15/2010 09:31 AM
Gen1975
Gen1975  

Thanks so much guys for the support! I know you understand ;o). I am still mulling over what to do and who to see. Seems like this one place I went to is more just a referral place. I called to make an appointment with the eye doctor they gave me and they don't even give you glasses just the RX. They don't even take medicaid so what is the point? So of course it is based on who makes who money not the health and ease for the patient. It just is amazing how centered our society is on money instead of the health of our people. It all seems so backwards.

11/15/2010 09:47 AM
jstsIm
jstsIm  
VIP Member

I live in CA. I have both Medicare and Medi-cal, neither covers dentistry! I have a badly abcessed tooth and got the same kind of sorry , we can't help you! My Md finally gave me a script for antibiotics and I'm feeling much better! But for how long?

11/15/2010 09:47 AM
KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

call your Medicaid case manager and have them send you a list of providers

11/15/2010 09:49 AM
KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

Reba, also...call your Medi-cal insurer and tell them that you have a 'tooth emergency' and need to see a dentist quickly. California ONLY covers adults when it's an emergency. Since you have an abscess..it should be covered

11/15/2010 10:01 AM
jstsIm
jstsIm  
VIP Member

Thanks Cheryl! I'll do that right now!

11/15/2010 05:26 PM
Gen1975
Gen1975  

Reba you can see if your local hospitals offer charity care as well. If so you can go through their ER department and they will direct you to a dentist. Some of your local hospitals may have dental schools attached as well. Good luck, I feel your pain! I have a dentist appointment on Friday ;(

11/15/2010 06:08 PM
jmick
jmickPosts: 13899
VIP Member

Gen, when I filed for SSDI I didn't even bother giving them my primary doctor's information, I only gave them the info of the many psychiatrists and therapists I have seen. My primary doc never came into play. During my first appointment with her I explained that I had agoraphobia and we talked about it a little, but she wanted no part in prescribing me psychiatric meds.

As far as bloodwork, the doctor generally doesn't actually do that themselves. Usually you go to a lab with a script written up by a doctor so they know what tests to run on the blood. When I get bloodwork done it gets sent straight to my psychiatrist. A copy goes to my primary care doctor as well, but only as a courtesy.

So I definitely wouldn't pay out of pocket to see your old private physician just for him to analyze the bloodwork. That should be your psychiatrist's job. They are qualified to analyze the results and determine two important things -- one, that you don't have a thyroid or other problem that could be contributing to your symptoms, and two, that your liver, kidneys, etc are healthy because psychiatric drugs can cause problems to these organs.

I definitely get you as far as the level of service. I was on medicaid in jersey all last year and it was a nightmare. All they care about is getting you in and out. I didn't have even one visit with a psychiatrist, from day one a nurse wrote my prescriptions. Like they say, you get what you paid for... and medicaid pays the doctors very little for their services.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved