MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/08/2010 06:10 PM

How does agoraphobia affect your daily life?

recycled

That was titled weirdly, wasn't it? So how does agoraphobia your affect daily life?

11/09/2010 09:00 AM
KittenMittens
KittenMittens  
VIP Member

It's a very broad question. I think it would be answered differently by everyone here depending on the level of interaction with the 'outside' world before becoming Agoraphobic.

How has it affected your daily life?

11/09/2010 10:21 AM
jstsIm
jstsIm  
VIP Member

The way agor affects my daily life changes by the day! I think because I really want it to stop! Some days I am just resigned to being locked in my room alone, other days I want out so badly I'll venture out even to a store.

11/09/2010 10:22 AM
mem8445

Kitten made a wonderful point as we are all so different with actually being Agoraphobic.

I try not to let myself be controlled by agoraphobia on an everyday basis and some days realize I've pushed myself too much but always recover within a day or so.

I'm determined to over come this "Agoraphobia".

I make it my goal everyday to do something out of my comfort zone and if I fail then I try again the next day.

11/09/2010 10:31 AM
jmick
jmickPosts: 13899
VIP Member

It completely affects every part of my daily life. Most of the time I'm hiding inside, and I usually only go out when I have to. I do try to do things to force me out of the house -- like only doing a couple days grocery shopping at the same time. I just bought a truck so now I can go anywhere, but it's hard to go anywhere other than the places I'm used to.

So basically, every little thing I do is affected by agoraphobia in some way.

11/09/2010 10:35 AM
AzureMoon

I struggle just to get my trash to the end of the drive every week. And I don't like admitting it, either. Sucks in a big way!!

11/09/2010 10:39 AM
AzureMoon

My Envoy sits in the garage month after month, poor thing, but is there for me.

Yep, totally affected. Bleh!!

11/09/2010 12:17 PM
Kristine9299

Misty,

I've SO been there. Early '90's I had a new Chevy Cavalier and I too felt bad for it. Sometimes I'd go sit in the driver's seat wishing I could go somewhere. I had never been home before that.

Want you to know there is hope because somehow I now drive my car all over the place that now I get tired of driving like most people. I'd still like to drive it further than I can but I do pretty well.

My heart goes out to you as I SO know how that feels!

Kristine

11/09/2010 12:24 PM
jmick
jmickPosts: 13899
VIP Member

I bought a truck weeks ago. Let's just say I don't spend that much money on gas Wink In fact I've only filled it up once and I'm not even down to half a tank yet. But it gets me to the grocery store so I can buy food and live!

11/09/2010 01:09 PM
love2garden22
love2garden22  

Well, I'm VERY frugal now. Not that I planned it that way, everything is just much cheaper when you stay at home. Get by with what you have or do without. No more impulse buys. I eat at home almost all of the time, maybe it's a little healthier food as well. Probably in the old days I'd be called a hermit or recluse?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved