MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/21/2010 10:50 AM

Muddy Road - A Zen story

Tranquilmist
TranquilmistPosts: 416

Tanzan and Ekido were once traveling together down a muddy road. A heavy rain was still falling.

Coming around a bend, they met a lovely girl in a silk kimono and sash, unable to cross the intersection.

"Come on, girl," said Tanzan at once. Lifting her in his arms, he carried her over the mud.

Ekido did not speak again until that night when they reached a lodging temple. Then he no longer could restrain himself. "We monks don't go near females," he told Tanzan, "especially not young and lovely ones. It is dangerous. Why did you do that?"

"I left the girl there," said Tanzan. "Are you still carrying her?"

This is one of my favorite zen stories. Do you understand the meaning? I'll let people take some guesses, then we can discuss it.

10/21/2010 12:46 PM
slamm311
slamm311  
VIP Member

Hmmmm. Toby you always have my brain working in over drive! I love it. What DOES this mean?

10/21/2010 12:49 PM
AzureMoon

Yea...what can it mean?

10/21/2010 01:16 PM
Lilsis
Lilsis  

Ekido could not see past the fact that the person in need was a girl and that temptation was known to cloud the issues at hand. Tanzan saw a person in need and went forth unconditionally to help. Ekido was still holding on the the fact that the Monks laws, where Tanzan knowing the laws did not break them, as he was not caught up in the fact the person in need was a girl.

Post edited by: Lilsis, at: 10/21/2010 01:17 PM

10/21/2010 01:35 PM
Tranquilmist

Lilsis...yes you are right on. Smile

Tanzan, simply saw a girl in need of help. He helped her, and then he 'let her go'. Ekido was so hung up on laws, that he was 'carrying' her (in his mind) long after they'd let her go on the other side of the road.

Simply, it's about not carrying baggage. It's about letting go.

10/21/2010 02:06 PM
Rea
Rea  
VIP Member

Toby something we all have trouble with at sometime, letting goSmile

especially the fear of letting go,of not having what we want.That is how I see your storySmile

10/21/2010 06:27 PM
SillyOMe
SillyOMePosts: 21588
VIP Member

Good Story Toby.. I wish I had read it earlier.. those darn cats side tracked me!

10/22/2010 05:59 AM
TexasYankee
TexasYankee  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You know this is my favorite zen story too. One that runs through my head EVERY time i need to let something go. The externals set us off but it is our choice to continue to carry the pain. When I am angry or need to forgive someone, I think about "setting the girl down" and move on. It is so much easier said than done though. All in all, it doesn't matter.

Toby, have I told you lately how much you rock?! Smile

10/22/2010 08:07 AM
slamm311
slamm311  
VIP Member

Thanks Toby and Karen! I thought the meaning was something along those lines. Love it Smile

10/22/2010 08:11 AM
Tranquilmist

Well Since everyone liked the 1st story so much...how about another?

A student went to his meditation teacher and said, "My meditation is horrible! I feel so distracted, or my legs ache, or I'm constantly falling asleep. It's just horrible!"

"It will pass," the teacher said matter-of-factly.

A week later, the student came back to his teacher. "My meditation is wonderful! I feel so aware, so peaceful, so alive! It's just wonderful!'

"It will pass," the teacher replied matter-of-factly.

So again, what do you think it means?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved