MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/14/2009 12:49 PM

Anyone get Social Security Disability due to Agor?

amyk
amyk  

I just wonder if anyone has been able to get Social Security because of having Agoraphobia? I applied a few years ago and was denied. I was in a place where I didn't feel like fighting it. I'm thinking of applying again and if I get denied again, I will appeal. I was just curious if anyone has had any luck with this or even tried. What do you guys do for money if you can't get out of the house?

12/14/2009 01:09 PM
Anna321
Anna321  
VIP Member

I know some people on here have gotten it and at least one person is fighting the denial right now. I am sure they will give you their input. Go for it, apply, it can't hurt, right? I am sure it is very frustrating though.

12/14/2009 01:10 PM
chica101
chica101  

In my case, my husband works and supports us. Fortunately, we're able to live on his income alone. If not, then I would have already filed.

I still am considering filing if I can't find a job after the first of the year. I want to work but it's difficult because of the parameters I have to set.....like finding a job within a certain distance from the house.

If you get denied again, keep appealing. To make the process go faster, it will help if you get copies of your medical records from your physician(s) and take them with you when you go because they give the physicians so many days to get the records to them and that's time that could be used in considering your claim. We did this with my dad and it sped things up tremendously.

Good luck! I hope it all works out. I know that the added financial stress doesn't help your anxiety levels at all.

12/14/2009 01:16 PM
amyk
amyk  

Thanks for your input...I will apply again and appeal if denied.

12/14/2009 01:27 PM
Rea
Rea  
VIP Member

Please make out for what help you can get now because my husband supported me and he died in October and I have been living off of things I can sell trying to get SS and social services to help. I have to go there and I have to see a doctor and I have not been more than a couple blocks from my house in 8 years. It has been a nightmare. Oh and make sure he has some form of insurance too, my husband was only 57 years old. So file now while you have a back up and hope you never go through what I am right now. God Bless and keep you safe.

12/14/2009 01:30 PM
jmick
jmickPosts: 13899
VIP Member

I have heard of many cases for agoraphobia being approved and many denied. Unfortunately the majority of cases are not approved until they go before a judge. My only recommendation would be to get a lawyer from the very beginning. They will take a percentage of your backpay when you are approved, but it may get you approved much faster.

I was denied the first time, and I'm now waiting for a decision on my second application. I actually didn't appeal, I had to refile the application because Social Security did not inform me that I had been denied until too late. I'm wishing I had gotten a lawyer from the beginning.

I could go on forever about how frustrating the whole system is but I won't because I will just get worked up :-/

12/14/2009 02:10 PM
jrose72
jrose72  

I have been denied twice and am now waiting for my hearing. As for what I do for money... hahahaha... cry! lol! I've been "lucky" in that I had a decent savings, but that is now gone and I may be moving in with my Mom here shortly. It sucks. I feel for anyone that has to go through this process.

12/14/2009 04:23 PM
Annette1

I am in the process of filling right now my husband said if I get dnied that I need to get a lawyer. We are making it by with what he makes but it tough sometimes since he works for him self. When my parents applied Mom got turned down once she was blind and had diabetes Dad got turned down to he had Parkins and blind in one eye the both had to get a lawyer. I have been told its not easy to get ssi. I also hae a learning disibilty on top of my panic attacks and being home bound the learning thing is that I don't pick up on things as fast a others it takes me more time to get the picture so they are also pulling my school records.

12/14/2009 06:18 PM
Ladygaga
Ladygaga  
VIP Member

OMG the US system sounds even worse than ours..which does work but its complex and hard to get everything you are entitled to,mainly because they wont tell you what it is .I have also applied for a disability allowance and am waiting for a decission .I'm lucky in that we have charities here that help deal with the system,my suport worker is great and has had far more success for me than id have ever had alone.

So much so in fact that she is on my christmas gift list this year !

Good luck everyone ,as far as im concerned if your health prevents you from working you deserve help .

12/14/2009 08:25 PM
Knightmare
KnightmarePosts: 1660

I was at one time getting SSI (social security income) but then they come back and say I owe them $7,000 which I never got that much in the first place from them so I still can't figure out how they get I owe them that much. When you call you will be on hold for HOURS and I mean like 4+ hours at times and sometimes after telling them the whole story they will transfer you and Ooops get disconnected and then you have to start all over and wait in line again.

I really think they just don't want to deal with it and hang up knowing that you will get so frustrated and just give it up. Then how they suckered me into signing that I did owe them this much money. They told me that if I don't sign it then I would be denied medicade which covers my medications and I knew I couldn't be without my meds for months until this was all resolved and then I'd end up having to go to court which I wouldn't be able to do either. So long story short they can really screw you over and they know they have the power to do it.

I think it is a shame that the system works this way and really does not help the ones who need it.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved