MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/19/2010 01:45 PM

Dogs - my mini vent

Gwyneth
Gwyneth  

I'm having a woe is me moment. I did the research, or more basically I went and found the Americans with Disabilities Act so I could read what the Law defines as disabled. They say this:

(1) Disability: The term "disability" means, with respect to an individual

(A) a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities ...

For purposes of (1), a major life activity also includes the operation of a major bodily function, including but not limited to, functions of the immune system, normal cell growth, digestive, bowel, bladder, neurological, brain, respiratory, circulatory, endocrine, and reproductive functions.

I could be wrong, but to me that reads that the Kiddo probably could use the act, along with the fair housing act, to have our apartment complex allow us to have a dog for him.

Problem is, of course, we have to have a doctor sign off on it. Our Endo (whome usually I LOVE) has never done something like this and is under the impression it's only done for Trained Service Animals. Of course Chance wouldn't NEED a trained service animal, so he said no he wouldn't do the paperwork for us. I told them that we were NOT looking to get a service animal, we understand that would be silly. What we wanted was a companion animal, a non trained pick em up at the pound, animal to help Chance stay well adjusted and happy.

They haven't gotten back to me on if they understand that reasoning any better or if they can help. But from the tone of the nurse on the phone I doubt it.

I'm at a loss, and I think we're stuck. I'm not sure if his regular pediatrician CAN sign off on paperwork of this type so the Endo really was our best bet.

I'm a little cranky about it. Of course I didn't tell Chance what I was trying to do for him, so I wont have to deal with disappointing him. But I still feel like I failed him. To bad we can't afford to just up and move to some place that allows dogs *sigh*

04/19/2010 02:11 PM
tamika65

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. This will happen for u because u are a caring mom. If it is put on hold hang in there. You are not failing him.

Sue

04/19/2010 08:47 PM
kgo
kgo  

Have you tried to contact organizations who train service dogs? Maybe there ARE service dogs for this. I have certainly entertained the idea but assumed it would be very very expensive

Just a thought

XO

Kim

04/19/2010 08:57 PM
Gwyneth
Gwyneth  

I haven't tried that no. If he really reacts badly to the new things happening the next few months I will definitely keep that idea in mind. I avoid the idea of any specially trained animal because of that same though, very very expensive!!!

I was so hoping to easily slip into that in between, medically needing a dog but an untrained cheap adopted rescue dog...

04/20/2010 05:19 AM
teri72193
teri72193  

It is a proven fact that having a dog, especially for a child can help them to be healthy. They use all kinds of animals for this. I assume where you live they have a no dog policy. Can you try explaining to the owners of the property what is going on with your child or have you already done this? Sometimes they will take an extra pet deposit which would probably be less expensive than a trained service animal. Best of blessings to you!

04/20/2010 06:35 AM
lorajoy
lorajoy  

Gwyneth,

I hope you can find a way to get Chance a dog...We have 2 and they are so comforting for Landon. We had them before he was diagnosed, but he was sick so much when he was smaller and I think it helped to have animals that loved him. They always sensed when he was sick and licked and worried about him.

My sister has a daughter with Diabetes and they have looked into a service dog for her. There are all kinds of service dogs...for diabletes, epilepsy, low sugar, fibromyalgia...etc. and there are scholarship programs. Keep looking and researching.....we will be pulling for you!!!

04/22/2010 03:42 PM
kgo
kgo  

http://www.adai.org/needdog/applicationprocess.html

This looks like the place to go to find out about service dogs. Now my interest is peaked and I am looking into it too.Cool

Therapy dogs are different. They are more for campanionship. From what I ahve found out, many dog training groups can train therapy dogs. They are not always allowed into the same places as service dogs but because our children are required to take meds to function, they can be deamed legally disabled. Mara's docs told me she is.

Hope this is helpful

XO

Kim

Post edited by: kgo, at: 04/22/2010 03:43 PM

Post edited by: kgo, at: 04/22/2010 03:47 PM

04/22/2010 04:11 PM
Gwyneth
Gwyneth  

great link! Thanks. We are still waiting to see if our Endo has reconsidered now that he understands what we are asking for.

Can I ask you which doctor it was that told you that? If it was her endo then I will keep after mine a little harder, but if it was one of her others then I may have to consider trying his Pediatrician. *sigh*

04/22/2010 08:22 PM
kgo
kgo  

Well, her endo did not say it. I will bring it up in June. Her local ped and the Nuerologist both said it.

If Diabetes is considered a disability, our kids are. The service dogs are trained to catch blood sugar highs and low and BP drops. I think it would be similar training for us especially the symptoms of adrenal crisis.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved