MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/04/2012 02:37 AM

Solu-Cortef Acto Vial Availability ****** READ

LittleMissMerrySunshine
LittleMissMerrySunshine  
Group Leader

Wow, this is AMAZING NEWS...I just found this. I had been told months back they had quit making it, but I have not yet had to refill it. I am about to have to, though, because I have used two injections the past couple of months.

Pfizer, the manufacturer of Solu-Cortef®, in the convenient "acto-vials", has removed the preservatives from their product, so have been issued a new NDC number by the FDA. The number is 0009001103.

This NDC number change has apparently made it difficult for pharmacies to find the product in their computer systems, with the result of their informing some adrenal insufficient patients that it is no longer available for prescription.

We have created this form [PDF] to inform you and your pharmacy that the product is still available for prescription.

If your pharmacy is having trouble obtaining these products, please instruct them to call Pfizer's Customer Service at 1(800) 533-4535.

http://www.nadf.us/links/SOLU-CORTEF%20NOTICE.pdf

This is from the National Adrenal Diseases Foundation website.

--Cynthia

05/04/2012 08:47 AM
Sundancer

Thanks for the info, Cynthia. I was surprised I was not prescribed an acto-vial. I'm having to carry separate vials of Solu-Cortef powder and injectable saline, and I'll have to combine them by hand before I can use it.

05/04/2012 09:19 PM
Jojy85
Jojy85  

I work for a pharmaceutical wholsaler so when a pharmacy tells me I cannot get something because it is "out" or " backordered" or "discontinued" I go to work and look it up myself and tell them how to get it to me... they took forever with my steroid vials... over 2 months, so I asked what about the brand name? They said " oh that's in stock, it's 5 dollars more though" Really you are going to not give me the life saving injection for over 2 months because it was 5 dollars more!!! Craziness!! needless to say I look up my drugs at work before I go fill it at the pharmacy. (vent over)

05/05/2012 10:55 PM
LittleMissMerrySunshine
LittleMissMerrySunshine  
Group Leader

I had the pharmacy continue not to refill a script for me for a week last month, because I was going to have to pay for it (I knew that) since it was past my third refill. My insurance requires me to use Medco after 3 fills, or I have to pay in full. It was about $15 I think. I sent my husband to get it three times, and finally I had to go up there.

Even though I called in the refill, someone in the pharmacy department made the executive decision that I should not have it or must not want it. Once I went up there, the girl said, "Oh, well, we didn't fill that because your insurance won't cover it." I asked how much, and when she told me, I said, "Okay. So what is the problem? You can't refill a $15 script? Do you need payment first?" Needless to say, she seemed pretty embarassed and had it filled in under five minutes. Why they could not at least call me if they were unsure I will never understand! Uggh.

05/07/2012 09:53 AM
Catia
CatiaPosts: 203

I had the very same problem--I called & snapped on the pharmacist when BF came home with out my prescription. I went there in person & snapped again--told them they have NO RIGHT to refuse to fill a prescription for me just because my insurance won't pay for it & went on about the risk they were putting people in by doing such a ridiculous thing. It's like they have NO BRAINS--ended up--my insurance DID cover it--& these people have degrees. Simply amazing!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved