MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/01/2012 11:28 PM

Emergency injection - carry or leave at home(page 2)

LittleMissMerrySunshine
LittleMissMerrySunshine  
Group Leader

Dang. Now that I know that...I should strive to no longer be awake. But since that is not working, perhaps I should take advice meant for someone else and go eat some chocolate. It is a wonderful taste-compliment to my gatorade!

Yummy! Now, Bob, what is wrong with my tummy? Let's put those diagnostic skills to use for a higher purpose!

05/02/2012 05:19 AM
Larrabeth

In prep for the business trip I'm on now, I put together an adrenal crisis kit.

I ordered a "holder" from a diabetic supply company. It is the size and shape of a large eyeglass case. I also ordered an EMS Star of Life sticker (see the image here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_of_Life) sized to fit on the outside of the case. For the other side of the case I printed out (on a label maker) ADRENAL CRISIS EMERGENCY KIT in huge letters. This way, anyone going into my purse will see that the case has important stuff.

Inside the kit I have two Solu-Cortef vials, two syringes, alcohol prep wipes, Zofran (antinausea), and a small bag of HC, labelled on the outside. My purse also has a letter from my doctor, glucose tablets, and power bars. In addition, I have a Medic-Alert necklace, and Medic-Alert card in my wallet.

Putting all of this together made me feel more more in control and gave me a lot of confidence for this trip.

Larrabeth

05/02/2012 05:30 PM
DukeNLucy
DukeNLucyPosts: 200

I am going on a 6-day cruise in August, and this sounds like a good thing to carry on with me. Thanks!

05/02/2012 07:06 PM
Sundancer

Lots of great suggestions, folks! Very helpful. I also like the idea of using the Star of Life symbol and ADRENAL CRISIS EMERGENCY KIT label. Not sure if I can get a letter from my endo, as he doesn't even encourage me to carry this kit. But since I'm going to call their office to complain about receiving 4-year-old saline solution, I guess it can't hurt to ask!

Larrabeth, it sounds like you've really got it all together! Nice job!

Cindy, if your tummy wasn't already upset, just the thought of combining gatorade and chocolate is making my stomach upset! Yuck! Hope you get better soon!

05/02/2012 08:55 PM
hypomama
hypomama  

Barb, I think you should carry me with you on the cruise, to carry your emergency kit - I do give one wicked shot!

05/03/2012 07:30 PM
DukeNLucy
DukeNLucyPosts: 200

Becky, wanna go? It is sponsored by the Baltimore MD club of Project Management Institute (PMI), going from Baltimore to Bermuda and back. There's a speaker giving PMI training sessions/seminars, but for the most part, the cruise is a good time to sit back and relax. I've never been on one and don't know what to expect. Wait a minute - me asking you if you want to come, when I can just picture you in your nurse's uniform, gladly walking around with a handful of syringes? Hmmmm the picture sounds painful!!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved