MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/17/2012 02:25 AM

Saliva Testing, Low Cortisol Level(page 2)

TheIrish

Bob - Nope I live alone this is so scary I don't know how to handle this I really don't. Anything else I need to know since I guess this journey is just starting for me, ugh I'm more scared then I wish so not fun.

03/17/2012 02:45 AM
TheIrish

Bob - She told me that I didn't have (Addison's Disease) she said I had something like AD but I didn't have AD, so I'm a bit confused don't you have to had AD. To have an Adrenal Crisis?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions I'm sorry this is a lot for me to take on & I don't know if I have the strength to, to be perfectly honest. I do wonder what my regular physician is going to say on Tuesday. I hope noting happens between now & Tuesday would really just suck, I'm so scared now I can't go to sleep at all.

03/17/2012 03:45 AM
bob3bob3
bob3bob3Posts: 4213

Hi Gabby

Well its difficult to give advice in only a partially diagnosed state. Those with some time as an AI sufferer learn what their body feels like and can act accordingly. The pattern is real obvious when you have felt it before. To explain your state though I really am making a best guess. Its also based heavily on the assumption that you do indeed have secondary AI and not something totally different. This is more or less why I described what to do if you feel ill or exhibit some obviously acute AI symptoms. Anything else? Well the simple number one answer is don't just sit around thinking a problem will go away if you wait long enough. Whats difficult is how to choose at what point action is needed. I am pretty sure I have covered enough of the bold/important things to react to already.

You have struck the quite common definition confusion surrounding this disease. "Addisons" for example is quite often used to more describe actual adrenal gland failure/damage. To avoid this problem its best to use more accurate terms;

- Primary adrenocortical insufficiency - low cortisol output from the adrenal glands due to adrenal gland damage.

- Secondary adrenocortical insufficiency - low cortisol output from the adrenal glands due to pituitary gland damage.

- Tertiary adrenocortical insufficiency - low cortisol output from the adrenal glands due to hypothalamus gland damage.

Obviously to understand the above you have to know how the system really works. That would take a while and involves minimally three different steroids/hormones, so lets leave it for another day.

Adrenal Crisis can exist in all three states above, but it tends to be far more life threatening for those with primary. You'll note my previous comments on adrenaline release "saving you" from adrenal crisis as well. Generally speaking a crisis is defined by hypotension, hypoglycemia and hyponatremia. The hyponatremia (low sodium salt) being more seen in a primary disease.

Bob

03/17/2012 09:45 AM
TheIrish

Morning Bob -

I hope to know more with the upcoming blood tests, I hope that it can tell me what is really going on. I can't rely on a saliva test to tell me yes or no so I will see what the blood test have to say. I have several doctor appointments coming up, I just hope that it can give me some answers. I have asked my uncle to come stay with me for awhile, until we know for sure what is going on so I'm not alone at night. Thanks for talking to me & answering me questions.

Fyi - I wasn't planning to ignore it,I just want to know what is really going on with blood tests or another saliva test to find out the right thing to do for myself. I really appreciate the time you have taken to talk to me, thank you so much.

Gabby,

The Irish,

Happy Saint Patrick's Day to you & yours.

03/17/2012 04:45 PM
TheIrish

Hi,

I had a saliva test done here are my test results, 1 am 1.0, 2.1 9:30 am, 2.8 3:30 pm & 2.6 8:30 pm.

Normal Range

Morning 7.0 - 10

Midday 3.0 - 6.0

Evening 2.40 - 4.0

Night 1.5

Observe Range

Morning 8.0 - 15.0

Midday 3.0 - 7.0

Evening 2.4 - 4.0

Night 1.5

My sleep schedule is very off I sleep during the day & I'm up at night working or playing or going out. So I was wondering because the test came out the way they did could my sleep pattern having something to do with them?.

Btw - I figured out the numbers on my paperwork, maybe that might help get this more situated, thanks again G.

03/17/2012 05:34 PM
bob3bob3
bob3bob3Posts: 4213

Hi Gabby

Okay a few things.

- You'll find some endos and doctors in general are against the use of saliva test result. Keep that in mind when talking to them about it.

- Blood test results have a more dynamic/fast moving profile. Saliva kind of averages things more. One of the concerns is that in a stressed state a secondary AI person can create blood levels that are in normal range. You have to be relaxed and quiet for a cortisol test draw. If you are in an anxious state at all there is a fair bet that your cortisol will be elevated. Under those conditions the test results can be negated.

- I would suggest you ask for sufficient testing to cover most metabolic things (eg TSH, T4, T3, ACTH, Cortisol, IGF1, BG.) as well as sex hormones/androgens (eg DHEA, Estrogens, Prolactin, Progesterone, LH, FSH) That all obviously depends on the expense! With PCOS you are looking at hypopituitarism generally, not just adrenal issues.

- Yes sleep patterns follow and are affected by the cortisol curve. Anxiety with adrenaline and panic cortisol production will make a mess of these. Notice your cortisol is more or less "flat" from 9AM to 9PM with a tiny peak at around midday. That might be seen as an adverse sleep cycle indicator.

Bob

03/17/2012 06:57 PM
TheIrish

(eg TSH, T4, T3, ACTH, Cortisol, IGF1, BG.) as well as sex hormones/androgens (eg DHEA, Estrogens, Prolactin, Progesterone, LH, FSH)

T3 - 170 ng/dl 70-190

T4 - 15.9 H ug/dl 4.8-13.9

DHEA - Reference Range 1.330 to 7.780 (3.210)

FSH - 6.2 miu/ml

Prolactin 8.1

LH - 8.3

O.k. couldn't find the rest on my very long list of blood test but it's what I have so far I actually have had about 30 vales of blood taken. I have very extensive doctors that want a lot of things taken at one time can be painful.

For taking blood that is easy I actually don't mind it, I have learned to Meditate during the blood makes it quick & painless. Anyway there is my list I will keep looking over this 6 page blood test results to see if I can find the rest.

03/17/2012 07:33 PM
TheIrish

A doctor,

I will be seeing on the 29th doesn't trust Saliva test she says there inaccurate & not a way to diagnose someone. She said blood is the best way to do so, so that is what I'm going to do. I can't just rely on the saliva test for a diagnoses, so I will see what the blood test have to say. I'm just glad to be getting the blood test done I hope it comes out well & noting bad I've been fighting for a long time to get my body in check. This whole saliva testing has really gotten me so freaked out, I can barely think happy thoughts just dark negative thoughts so the blood test would at least give me a peace of mind, I hope. the last few months I've had every single kind of test imaginable CAT Scans of my brain, MRI for my chest, chest X rays, head x rays, blood drawn, stress test you name it I've probably had it done in the last few months. I just hope that I won't have to do anymore test for awhile after this & I can start to relax a tiny bit.

Like you it's a partial diagnoses until I get my blood test done it's just guessing what is really going on with me. I will also be getting my POCS checked & my hormone levels checked at the same time it's going to be a long week ahead.

Thanks Bob you have been real cool with talking to me about all this,

Gabby.

03/17/2012 08:16 PM
Enigma33

TheIrish,

Is your T4 value above a FREE T4 (free thyroxine) or total T4 (just thyroxine)? A high value would indicate hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) and definitely needs to be investigated by a doctor. I am surprised no doctor has commented on that number. Hyperthyroidism (Grave's disease) would most definitely account for your anxiety. Also, PCOS is very common in tandem with thyroid issues. You should definitely mention this to your doctor and insist that they explore further. A RAUI test would be wise, I would think?

03/17/2012 08:27 PM
TheIrish

Enigma - Nice name here is what it says

Total T3, T4, Thyroiditis group, anti-Thyroglobulin 20, Anti-TPO- Ab 25.5 Thyroid screen

FT4, TSH 1.360 All TSH values respresent 3rd Generation TSH. I've had 3 different doctors look at these results & never bring up my thyroid. Actually what they said about these tests where that my B vitamin levels were low.. that's it.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved