MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/30/2011 06:26 PM

Nuvigil/ Provigil Anyone?

AKmama
AKmamaPosts: 210

Hi,

Does anyone take these drugs to help with the fatigue? In my pre-diagnosis days I used it for a short while and it really helped (why the heck did I stop? lol), so I was considering taking it again. I'm just wondering how it all works with the HC.

Thanks,

Tasha

09/30/2011 09:21 PM
hypomama
hypomama  

I do! They had me take a sleep study to see if I had sleep apnea (knew I didn't) to see why I was sooooo tired still, I slept just fine, so then they had me stay for a sleep latency study - I took six 30 mn naps the next day. I fell asleep each time within 5 mn (no surprise there). The Dr. had never seen results like that. LOL - I could have told them I was that fatigued without a test!! The Nuvigil/provigil has changed my life! I stopped it for 4 months, and I too wondered why. Gets me through the day! I have taken it with both HC and with prednisone.

10/01/2011 08:21 AM
AKmama

OMG!!!!! I am SOOOOO excited to hear that! I just got my labs back, and all other hormones are fine, which is good news, EXCEPT it means that there isn't a magic hormone that's missing here that will make me feel better when I start taking it. I am so excited! I wish my docs office was open today. DARN. Well, you know what my first order of business is on Monday! lol Thanks so much hypomama!

10/01/2011 08:37 AM
AKmama

Remind again.... are you taking prednisone now? Did you start out with HC and it didn't work for you?

10/01/2011 08:59 AM
hypomama
hypomama  

started with HC twice a day - didn't work. Then switched to prednisone. Found that I need high doses for some odd reason (they still don't know why). Added in the Nuvigil (sound the choir). Switched doctors. He encouraged me to try the HC again. There is just something wrong with me (heehee)I would nose dive every 4 hours, on relatively high doses, so after 2 months of silliness, back to the prednisone and still trying to re-stabilize on that. I tried both the HC and the prednisone without the nuvigil - nope. And I swear I can tell when the nuvigil wears off. I have contemplated breaking it in half and taking some for the last part of the day. That or breaking into my kids ritalin supply! LOL I don't know why they don't put everyone with "fatigue" as part of their diagnosis on this stuff - it is a life saver!

10/01/2011 04:38 PM
1busiteacher

Is this over the counter or strictly prescription?

10/01/2011 05:01 PM
hypomama
hypomama  

Strictly prescription.

10/03/2011 07:40 AM
AKmama

Haha!! I am literlly "LOL". Yeah, I think I may be with you on that one. I have tried the HC every which way to Sunday and it just doesn't work for me. I was splitting my dose 4 X's/ day up to 30mg and still didn't cut it. Medrol's a bit better - at least my BP is stabilzed but I still can't get through a normal work week - and normal for me is 32 hours, so not even a 40hr work week. Calling the doc today to request a Rx. Yes indeed. Sound That Choir! "Hallelujah"

How much Pred are you taking? I'm taking 4mg Medrol/ 10mg HC which I think = 5.5 mg pred.

10/03/2011 06:05 PM
hypomama
hypomama  

Ok. Remember I am not normal. My prednisone dose is around 10 mg a day. That is what it was before the switch to HC. Tried getting down to 8 mg since the switch but couldn't maintain at that. Then tried 9, now back to 10 plus HC bumps (2.5) as needed. I think Deb takes 5mg in the am and 2.5 in the pm.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved