MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/27/2011 12:53 PM

Timing of the Second HC Dose

AnnaO
AnnaO  

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out the best timing for the second dose of HC and T3 during my day.

I am prescribed 10 mg in the morning and 5 mg in the afternoon, but doc says I can take up to 20 mg a day.

Right now, I take my first dose of 10 mg in the morning, but it is later than I should be taking it. I'm up at 6:30, but if I don't take the HC by 8 or 8:30, I start to feel really sick. However, a lot of days, I don't get a chance to take the HC until 9 a.m. when I get into work. I know I MUST change this, and now that my husband is back in town, I'll start trying to make me a priority in the morning.

If I don't take my afternoon HC by 4 p.m., I start to feel sick again. I need to have energy until the kids go to sleep at 9 p.m. Is 1 p.m. too early to take the second dose? I'm not sure how long to expect it to last.

I'm sorry to ask, but I really hate trial and error and just want to set up some standard daily rules for myself to live by. I need to have 2 times per day that it is an absolute rule that I take the HC otherwise, it is hit and miss and I'm not doing so well because of that.

Thanks for your insights.

Anna

07/27/2011 01:36 PM
bob3bob3
bob3bob3Posts: 4213

Basically you are setting a near impossible task. The clearance rate of cortisol is so fast that you have to super inflate your first HC dose to be able to get to the 2nd. That then becomes a weight control, and mood swing issue despite any food buffering you may employ. That's where the 20/10 dosing of old comes from when most bodies really only need 20 or so total.

If you bring in your afternoon dose to cover the gap at the end of the AM dose, you're after 5PM life will drop off!

To give you an idea you peak about 30 mins after taking the pill. At 120-150 minutes you are at about halflife which roughly equates to maybe 10ug/dl. At 240-300 minutes you are at quarterlife or maybe 5ug/dl. Soon after that you get into frank AI symptoms.

Why do you need to stick to 2/day? (Pushy aint I?) Then only way to make it work (badly) at 2 is to dose elevate permanently, going to excessive lengths to food buffer (like lots of salad) and lower your body physical/emotional demands (more lounging around watching TV with dark glasses on).

Its not a good idea to become standard dose reactive either. You have to pre-empt need or you keep a lot of systems impaired.

Like I said, pushy! <grin>

Bob

07/27/2011 01:55 PM
AnnaO
AnnaO  

Hi Bob,

I don't need to stick to 2 doses per day, but I was trying to make it easy on myself so that I wouldn't forget. With more times to remember to take something, I'm more likely to miss a dose Smile

I also get so absorbed in whatever problems I'm dealing with at the moment, that I will set my needs completely aside. So it is easy for me to overlook the fact that I need to eat, drink, go to the bathroom, let alone take my life(and sanity)-saving meds! [It's no joke that I went somewhere this past Sunday morning and when I arrived, I thought I need to stop by the restroom, and then 3 hours later, I realized I never went - not kidding Smile ]

Very hard for me to put myself first and listen to my body. So if I set it up for specific times, I would be able to manage it better.

I also didn't want to take it too late in the day that it might prevent me from going to sleep at night (enough issues with that as it is).

Would you suggest a 3-time per day or 4-time per day if I feel I need it instead of twice per day?

07/27/2011 02:14 PM
bob3bob3
bob3bob3Posts: 4213

Hi Anna

I'd suggest 3 times. If you eat three meals per day thats your time sync. ie take them after or during food. If however your main evening meal is after 6PM its best to take the last dose with an afternoon snack instead. 7.5/5/2.5 might be your start point but you may want to 10/5/2.5 for the first week so you can ease into it.

I started 4x to curve match better. I always wake at 4AM or so, so it was convenient. My sched is 4/20/14/10, the last three being after food. Its working for me but I wouldn't generally recommend it to others.

Bob

07/27/2011 08:03 PM
hypomama
hypomama  

Anna, I just read your diary post (which I totally understand). They way you describe feeling are symptoms of being under dosed. I do think (IMHO) you will feel better if you go to a 3 or 4 time a day dosing - then you will also be better able to see if you are taking enough. Once you start feeling better you may readily realize when you feel worse. When I am feeling that fatigued and sleeping so much it is every once of energy to get up and take boost of HC but I know that is what I need and boom- 20-30 mn later I think - "why did I wait so long to do that?". But when the brain is that sleepy we know why - right? Give it a go, what have you got to loose? I take 15 mg with breakfast, 7.5 - 10 mg with lunch and 5-7.5 with supper. The dose variation is for how stressful of a day I am having. I have also started taking 2.5 mg at bedtime - a little dose but I seem to be able to get going in the AM better, 5 mg disrupts my sleep.

It is hard to be a mom to little ones when you feel so fatigued. Taking care of yourself will help you to be a better mom, and to just feel better overall. It is so hard when they are little (how old are they?) but it goes fast - try not to have regrets. Dose yourself well, take care of yourself, and give them hugs - before you know it they won't want to be with you, will have hairy legs and their room will smell like a locker room. I'm there - my boys are 14, 16, and 18 and fabreeze is my friend!

07/29/2011 06:17 PM
Catia
CatiaPosts: 203

When I was on meds before, I had issues remembering timing 3-4 dose meds-especially when I was busy--I really struggled & then sometimes I couldn't remember f I took the med or not--so I got a pill divider.

-I'd set my watch to remind me-then re-set for next dose-

But now most cell phones you can set multiple alarms for the same day--& can be set for an entire week.

Post edited by: Catia, at: 07/29/2011 06:18 PM

08/01/2011 05:00 PM
AnnaO
AnnaO  

Thanks for all the advice!

I'm trying 3 times per day now, will see how it goes this week and then have dr. appt next week.

Hypomama - I agree that it seems like I am underdosed. Not sure if I'm underdosed in thyroid or HC. Hoping that my blood tests will give us some guidance and then dr. and I will tweak meds again starting next week. My sons are ages 4 and 2.5 years old, by the way Smile I work full time, so they are in daycare, and I feel the need to be supermom when I'm with them. But you're right - I need to take care of me first. I'm no good for them (or any fun to be around) when I'm feeling overwhelmed or wiped out.

Thanks,

Anna

Post edited by: AnnaO, at: 08/01/2011 05:01 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved