MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/28/2011 08:44 PM

Rogoff's Sign - Midback pain

angelabud
angelabud  

I've had severe pain in my mid back on the right side for about 6 months now. It coincidentally goes along with times of crisis, stress, low blood sugar and times when I need to stress dose. My dr. is checking my kidneys and then I assume probably the muscles/ligaments in that area. It's just below the shoulder blade closer to the side in the mid-back.

I started researching this & found ROGOFF'S Sign - a positive sign of adrenal insufficiency that causes: tenderness in the mid-back/thoracic area where the ribs attach. That's exactly where it hurts. Does anyone else experience this? Have you heard of this sign? The doctors have never mentioned it. I've found it on adrenal fatigue/burnout sites & sites that promote more natural healing methods.

Thanks for your input.

Angela

03/29/2011 06:44 PM
Claire78

I have it! Get your cortisol levels checked.

03/29/2011 08:00 PM
angelabud
angelabud  

Thanks Claire! I don't feel so crazy now. I actually have the Dx SAI - May 2010. Cortisol low & ACTH low. Just never knew what this darn pain is. It waxes & wanes. Does yours? Sometimes it's constant like someone punched me there. I have to let my dr. know about this. He's checking my kidneys which I really wasn't thinking were the problem. I might as well have them checked anyways. I also have fibromyalgia/myofascial pain syndrome so it's hard to tell when it's a trigger point or tender point also.

Do you have primary or secondary? how long? what are your main issues?

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it!

03/30/2011 05:27 AM
Claire78

I'm a strange case - we don't know if I'm primary or secondary or tertiary or even possibly CAH. I was dxed in June last year after struggling with EXTREME fatigue, bruising, chest pain upon exertion, hypoglycema and all sorts of unpleasant things (including bleeding intestines and amenorhea). To put it bluntly, I knew that I was seriously ill and that I was dying. The doctors thought I was mad...until the cortisol and sugar tests were done! Suddenly, my back pain and fever began to resemble a crisis and I was put on HC. Within days, the symptoms cleared! I had a subnormal stim test but it wasn't conclusive except to confirm that my adrenals were not working properly. Luckily, I am doing soooo much better now and I even play sport! This site is amazing and has helped so much.

03/30/2011 11:20 AM
Boxersaregr8
Boxersaregr8Posts: 13

I have pain in my mid back too, only it's in my left side. It gets worse when I am crashing too. It has to be connected. I asked my first endo doc about the pain but he said that "You can't really see the adrenals through ultrasound, and anything you would see would probably be scar tissue" Hello??? Hear of a CT scan lately??? How bout an MRI??? So glad I am seeing a new doc next week. I went in for a colonoscopy last year before I was dxed, and they told me the pain could be from mild diverticulitis and to drink more water. Keep at those docs until they find out where that pain is coming from so they can FIX IT.

03/30/2011 11:20 AM
Boxersaregr8
Boxersaregr8Posts: 13

I have pain in my mid back too, only it's in my left side. It gets worse when I am crashing too. It has to be connected. I asked my first endo doc about the pain but he said that "You can't really see the adrenals through ultrasound, and anything you would see would probably be scar tissue" Hello??? Hear of a CT scan lately??? How bout an MRI??? So glad I am seeing a new doc next week. I went in for a colonoscopy last year before I was dxed, and they told me the pain could be from mild diverticulitis and to drink more water. Keep at those docs until they find out where that pain is coming from so they can FIX IT.

03/31/2011 09:43 PM
angelabud
angelabud  

Thanks For The Replies,

The weird thing about the diverticulitis connection & comment are that the pain in your mid back would not link up with your colon. The colon is lower in the front & the pain would most likely radiate to the low back? I agree - can't they ever check our adrenals with a scan? I believe it's all linked up.

I will definitely look into the PCOS connection & my pituitary as Claire indicated. I'm so glad you are doing better Claire. That's great news!

Thanks again!

Ang

06/16/2011 03:27 PM
bailey444
bailey444  

Thank gosh for this site.....they took my gallbladder out in Nov 2010 after repeated er visits with pain...then the pain was mostly on right...the pain continued after the surgery and they told me it was "fibro" and "phantom" gallbladder pain. Now the pain is bilateral and is worse when stressed and at night...now all my MD's are thinking it was NOT just the gallbladder...???? I think we all know what it is now.....hoping you all feel better...

06/16/2011 08:09 PM
Rhub
Rhub  

I have mid back pain too, but mine goes all the way through. It radiates both front and back. They thought it was a colon (which runs just under the bottom of the rib cage in the front) issue, and did a colonoscopy. They didn't find anything. They actually stoped looking for the source of the pain (which they had been looking for over 8 months) when I was Dx with PAI. It is one of the symptoms. During the search I had an abdominal ultrasound, during which the looked at my adrenals, and a CT that also showed the adrenals. So there are scans that show them.

10/02/2012 06:35 PM
BGreen

Good evening,

I cam across this discussion because of back pain that I have had for almost a year now. After seeing doctors, getting readjusted by the chiropractor, and stretching/working out, I have become frustrated that it has not gone away. I was diagnosed with AF a year and a half ago and I have pretty textbook symptoms. My back hurts right in the middle where I arch my back. It hurts when I arch it, hunch over and it is sensitive to touch. Recently, my upper back has started tingling whenever I sit down. Has anyone else had this symptom??

Hope you are all feeling well Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved