MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/17/2010 01:45 PM

Finally got new test results, I don't have AI now?

EnglishRose119

I went to a different lab which took forever.

ACTH 15.6 7.2-63.3 is normal

Coritsol 9.1

2.3-11.9 is normal for PM and 6.2- 19.4 is normal for AM, this was in the middle of the two.

I'm scared now the endo is going to say I'm just nuts vs having SAI.

It's been a tad better this week, still a lot of crashes. I was crashed when they drew the blood, not sure if that was good or bad.

Any ideas folks?

11/17/2010 06:29 PM
EnglishRose119

this was around 3pm

11/18/2010 09:17 AM
EnglishRose119

anyone know anything about this

11/18/2010 11:20 AM
bob3bob3
bob3bob3Posts: 4213

I think the right answer is "inconclusive" but a little low end. My first thought too was that if you were in a crashed state that may also prove cortisol isn't the reason. BUT you have to remember that there will be some time lag between a recovered cortisol level and a rise in BG and BP (which are often the physical reason for the crash. ie low cortisol can cause these states)

There seems to be an inference that normal always implies healthy. It doesn't. Its a case of less likely vs more likely and good doctors will use probability to head in the right direction. If your doc insists on black vs white results from lab ranges you should remind him/her of this!

I also note you have a lot of test history in your post that I haven't re-analyzed. Sorry it takes a while to dig. I think you should collate all the info you have to help make better judgments.

Bob

11/18/2010 11:33 AM
EnglishRose119

One more bit of info, I went to the cardiologist yesterday. He is VERY pushy I get this sorted out. He is certain I have something going on endocrine wise.

One thing I told him is when I get my SVT's (fast heart rates for no reason for the layman) afterwards I get VERY shaky, if you didn't know better you'd swear I was having a seizure. He says that he thinks I end up with too mu adrenaline and low BP, and to him this is totally a reason to treat me for endocrine issues as it is not normal AT all and if anything may end up more dangerous than the SVT itself. (which is usually not dangerous)

The doc hasn't rung back, but I am so confused.

I felt so much better AFTER the stim test, the next day as well, the day after so 36 hours after the test? I was really crashed all day.

The low BP and low blood sugar he said is enough to try low dose presdinsone.

Now sure the difference between that and hydrocortisone.

My daughter has been very unwell, I need them to help me so I can help her

11/18/2010 11:42 AM
bob3bob3

Yes there are some big tie-ins cardiac vs endocrine. I had some problems in that area as well. The cardio had to wait for the endo to finish setting up treatment.

Pred is a longer acting corticosteroid than hydrocortisone. Its use is about 50/50 (Pred/HC) for us lot on the group. There are pros and cons of either but in the end roughly have the same use.

So when you get to discuss with endo, make reference to your cardios comment and that you felt great after the stim test. Its ALL valid test information that has to be considered.

11/18/2010 12:18 PM
EnglishRose119

for MS I've taken pred more than once at even high dose, a small dose trial won't hurt me, may help so he can't see why I didn't get it yet.

you can't even take my BP after these episodes or even my pule my body is shaking too severe.

Bob, is there a low down on to which steriod is better for different people?

11/18/2010 12:32 PM
bob3bob3

Woahh back up a moment... You are taking Pred? How much, when etc? You know Pred can cause SAI?

If you use Pred for AI the replacement dose is between about 5 and 7.5mg/day. If you are taking it now try to correlate your usage against AI symptoms..

11/18/2010 12:36 PM
EnglishRose119

haven't taken pred for years

11/18/2010 12:53 PM
EnglishRose119

just spoke to the endo, I'm fuming!!!

She says blood sugar at 60 is normal, I shouldn't feel sick, the low BP she thinks is from the beta blocker, i'm on a small dose and have taken it for 12 years, why would it only NOW bother me BP to the 70/30 degree????????

She wants to do the ACTH and Cortisol one more time, she siad this result was totally normal (she didn'e even ask if it was AM or PM)

BUT she will try hydrocortisone 5mg 3 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon for 2 weeks and see how I feel but says I won't like it cause it has horrible side effects?

WTF????

Why are docs so nice the first time then utterly useless, HELP, someone please I'm so mad and confused

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved