MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/05/2010 05:01 PM

UTI will not go away!!

sonnysmom
sonnysmom  

I do not even remember when I posted first about the UTI issues I am having but I still have the problem. I had 2 courses of Antibiotics. Went to my P.C. wed. & she said she does not think I need to see a Urologist. Said something about going to the bathroom every hour if I need to or not.But she did a repeat Urinalysis. The nurse called just now to tell me I still have a bad infection & the DR called in another script for antibiotics.This is not right to keep taking an antibiotic that is not working.I don`t know what to do.I love my DR but she can be so closed minded about some stuff.I have gone through this before & ended up in the hospital with Sepsis. I have not been stress dosing because I have not felt really bad.This is different because most of the time with an infection I feel awful.I have not had much energy & have been resting a lot. I am not running a temp. so of course that also made the DR think I am not sick.The times before I did not run a temp. until I was septic, then it shot way up.Should I be stress dosing? I know one of you said you had issues with a neurogenic bladder.How do they diagnose that.I am so worried I will end up really sick & in the hospital. I can not be in the hospital there is no one to take care of my 4 dogs.Anyone have ideas??? The thought of going to the hospital is way more stressful than the being sick.........Sheila

11/05/2010 05:07 PM
Adrenalmom
AdrenalmomPosts: 304

Well Sonny, I would not ask, I would demand a referral to a urologist.

I have had a UTI that didn't respond to antibiotics and I ended up in the hospital for 3 days and that was with functioning adrenals. The antibiotics you've been taking are likely enough to reduce symptoms, but in the background the bacteria is going to infiltrate your kidneys.

You are right to be concerned. Whether it's the wrong antibiotic or an antibiotic resistant infection (which is what I had) either way you need to see someone who is going to pay attention before things get serious.

I would even switch primary care docs if you can--yours sounds like more of a problem than a solution.

I hope you get some real help from someone soon.

M

Post edited by: Adrenalmom, at: 11/05/2010 05:08 PM

11/05/2010 05:28 PM
Monster64

Hello Sheila,

Did your doctor do a culture and sensitivity urine test? This will list what antibiotics you should be taking. Yes, You do need to go to a urologist.

The test you are referring to is called a urodynamic test, it will tell you if you have a neurological problem or not. It will also tell the doctor the best treatment for what is wrong with you. I just had mine done. I have retention which is the cause of all my UTI's.

You most likely DO NOT have neurogenic bladder like me,your problem will be very much fixable, do not be afraid.

Please go see a urologist so you can feel better sooner.

keep us posted on how you are. If you have question about the test and what to talk, I will give you my phone number.

DEE

11/05/2010 09:00 PM
sonnysmom
sonnysmom  

Dee, yes I had a C&S done 2 times one before my first 2 groups of antibiotics & one wed.The 2nd antibiotic I took was suppose to be the right one. Now I am on the same antibiotic again There are only 2 antibiotics I can take as I have allergy to most.Thank you for the info.I need a referal from my GP to see a Urologist.I am sure if the infection persists after this group of antibiotics she will order a consult for me. If not I will figure out a way to get it even if I have to go to ER to get it. DR`s can be frustrating at times no matter how good they are....Sheila

11/06/2010 03:48 AM
Monster64

Sheila,

I Can only take Levaquin and Cipro. I am allergic to Pennicillin and sulfa.Some strains of infection are hard to "kill". Maybe you can ask your doctor which one you have and do some research too.

If it is hard to get a referal, you can also try a "Gyno/uro" these doctors work with urinary issues too.(pelvic floor/urinary problems). Sometimes it is hard to find one,

Best of luck to you,

DEE

11/06/2010 11:58 PM
sonnysmom
sonnysmom  

I went to pick up my script for the Cipro today & the pharmacy intern says I only have enough for 5 days. He tells me that is what the DR ordered but it is not a normal amount.That it should be given for 7 or 10 days or it will not work. The fact that I took Cipro for 7 days last month & still have an infection also means it is not working. He said it did not make any sense to him. It did not to me either but I had no choice but to get it as I can not go the weekend with an infection & no antibiotic. I am getting madder at each turn........Sheila

11/07/2010 03:35 AM
Monster64

Sheila,

Can you ask your Doctor what kind of UTI you have. It does not sound like the normal ecoli strain. When you find out, you can google the name of the infection and it will tell you what drugs are good for it and how long to take them.

A 3-5 day course of Cipro is usually for a "simple" infection, yours MIGHT be "complicated". My doctor always puts me on a 10 day course (twice a day) of antibiotics when I have a uti.

I also went through many years of my "urologist" not giving me a long enough script.

Hang in there I'm sure you will get to the bottom of this very soon.

DEE

11/07/2010 05:45 AM
ITeach91
ITeach91  
VIP Member

I would start with it and give him a call on Monday.

Deb

11/07/2010 06:26 AM
radiochick
radiochick  

Sheila, do you have symptoms of UTI? Or is it only showing up in the urine test?

I remember asking about consistent blood in urine with no symptoms... and many on this board had experienced that repeatedly. We thought perhaps its just from inflamed kidneys?

Also, I was on a long course of antibiotics due to an abcessed tooth. I ended up with a full body yeast infection that took another 3 months to cure. You don't want that! I would call monday and ask them to please do a culture. Or did they already?

11/07/2010 11:26 AM
sonnysmom
sonnysmom  

Thank you so much Dee,Deb & Sabra! Yes they did a C&S and Cipro was the right Antibiotic. Yes I am having symptoms of UTI including frequent urge,bladder spasms & pain on urination.It gets worse by the day. I did start the Cipro again yesterday. I am going to call Monday to find out what was cultured.Since the first culture was done at my GYN & second at GP I will have to call both places.I was very careful to explain to my GP what had transpired with the infection prior to her getting involved so there should not be any miscommunication. But she is always a little miffed about me going to my GYN as she wants me to have my yearly GYN check up done by her. So she may have been side tracked while I was telling her.Because she was trying to be critical about how they had handled the situation to begin with.They did not do anything wrong in my opinion.Any way I will call & try to get this figured out in the morning.In the mean time the bathroom is my home!!!!!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved