MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/27/2010 08:05 PM

UNCONTROLLABLE BLOOD GLUCOSE

DragginLady

Does anyone have knowledge/experience with wild swings in blood glucose (BG) with AI and hydrocortisone (HC)? I was mistaking low BP for low BG. After several episodes of definite hypoglycemia, I bought a glucometer and got the surpirse of my life, wild swings from low to high to low BG.

In short, I'm hypoglycemic until I eat and then become hyperglycemic (72 fasting, 188 after OJ and cereal today). Normal 80-120. I've tried to control with diet w/o success. Banana = 161. Small dinner and apple = 192.

It gets stranger. With BG of 188, I took 5 mg of HC and BG dropped to 86. This has been a consistnet pattern since I started monitoring. HC is supposed to raise BG, not lower it! Happens 100% of the time. Am essentially controlling diabetes with HC. ???

Sorry to say, I'm symptomatic all the time. and the symptoms of AI, hypo- and hyperglycemia are hard to sort out. Shaking, severe palpitations, weakness, blurred vision, brain fog, drenching sweats, etc. I've become housebound and unable to drive, unable to predict symptoms minute to minute.

I sure hope someone has some answers for me. Yes, I need to see an endocrinologist. Sure wish I had health insurance! (61 YO with AI = DENIED) Lab work and MRI of adrenals or pituitary would probably be helpful--and put my house in foreclosure.

HELP!

10/28/2010 07:12 AM
teri72193
teri72193  

Yes I have had this problem as well, mostly with the low. You might ask your Endo about Jenuvia, it has helped a lot of patients. I am allergic, but it has helped others.

10/28/2010 02:34 PM
ITeach91
ITeach91  
VIP Member

Hi,

Yes there are problems with maintaining blood sugar when you have adrenal insufficiency. I get very hypoglycemic to the point where I am ready to fight with someone (irritability), dizzy, headache, shaky, weak, etc. I have to eat protein every 2-3 hours or I'm sick as a dog.

I haven't tested on the other end but wouldn't be surprised if it came up quickly into insulin resistance area...all I know is, I can't eat sugar like I used to (and I love/crave it so!). Last night had a piece of cake and wow the headache I got from it really wasn't worth it.

Deb

10/28/2010 09:57 PM
DragginLady

Thanks for your helpful input, Deb. You said something tell-tale, that you crave sugar. That's a sign of HYPERglycemia. Have you considered buying a glucometer? They're cheap ($16) and even free on line. It's the meter strips that are expensive ($32 for 50.)

You may also be having wild swings. When I take my data to the doctor, will ask about a more extended-release form of HC. These wild swings are debilitating. Today, it took me 6 hours to regulate enough to go to work (fortunately, I work from home, but am unable to drive.) The symptoms you describe with HYPO are same as mine but I also have similar symptoms with HYPER, shaking, weakness. palps, and drenching sweats.

I'm afraid to eat and afraid not to eat so am always doing fingersticks. I need some suggestions: What do you eat for your protein snacks? I need something quick and easy in emergencies.

So what do you know about insulin resistance and the tx? All I can find is to eat a diabetic diet which is not working for me.

Sandra

10/29/2010 03:49 AM
ITeach91
ITeach91  
VIP Member

Protein snacks - never enough of those are there? Things that have worked for me: Boiled egg, low-fat string cheese sticks, 4 oz low fat cottage cheese, Whey protein shake made with Stevia instead of sugar, snackpack of almonds, edamame, turkey pepperoni (rarely because of the BHT), Greek yogurt (2x protein). If it seems heavily dairy - it is, but it's hard to carry meat around as easily as you can carry cheese...

Deb

10/29/2010 03:51 AM
ITeach91
ITeach91  
VIP Member

P.S. On the hyper - I find hypo you also crave sugar because you are low on it. So I guess all the symptoms could be one or the other, I find this is true for cortisol low/cortisol high as well to a certain extent.

Deb

10/29/2010 10:21 PM
DragginLady

Ain't that the truth--symptoms for hypo, hyper, and AI are all very similar. Add hypothyroidism and who knows what's going on? No wonder it takes so long and many tears to reach a dx.

Again, I highly recommend the glucometer if you're having daily symptoms. It tells me how much HC to take and how much to eat.

I just read about an extended-release HC in trials called DuoCort. Gonna be a couple years tho in US.

Already got the string cheese, yogurt, and almonds. Thanks for the suggestions. Gonna go boil some eggs now.

Sandra

10/30/2010 10:31 PM
EnglishRose119

protein does nothing for my levels, i need juice or sugar sadly

10/31/2010 05:52 AM
ITeach91
ITeach91  
VIP Member

Actually,

you would think this is true but it is proven that a sugar load will help temporarily but then cause the levels to dump even lower when it wears off. Protein is a longer-term fix. If you feel the need to get an immediate high from juice, eat protein with it. I would never recommend sugar for hypoglycemia and I'm positive most doctors would not, either. It will make the situation much worse in the long run.

Deb

10/31/2010 05:53 AM
ITeach91
ITeach91  
VIP Member

I thought of a couple other things after I posted the other day - peanut butter on apple, hummus and whole wheat crackers.

Deb

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved