MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/08/2010 11:54 AM

CORTISONE SHOTS

teri72193
teri72193  

So, I got the cortisone shots in both hips yesterday, that hurt really, really bad and I can hardly walk today. Doctor says it will get better. If they don't help then I have to go and see a rheumatologist. Anyone know about this kind of doctor? I dragged myself into work since I am on hourly but still lost 3.5 hours because I am having a hard time walking and just don't feel well. They said they would let me make them up next week. Sad

10/08/2010 12:05 PM
Adrenalmom
AdrenalmomPosts: 304

I don't know too much about rheumatology other than they are more compassionate and educated about steroid tapers than pulmonologists. At least in my experience.

I'm sorry you are going through so much right now. I hope things turn around soon.

M

10/08/2010 12:30 PM
crz49
crz49  

Don't know about rheumy's...but I DO know about cortisone shots in the hip...THEY SURE DO HURT!

I was advised to "ice" the area the first day, (20min on...40 min off)...the next days follow w/moist heat...same directions.

Hope this helps!

10/08/2010 12:31 PM
teri72193
teri72193  

Thanks! Icing away Smile

10/08/2010 04:14 PM
ITeach91
ITeach91  
VIP Member

Hi,

I used to have cortisone shots in my ankle, God that hurt so bad. It was like they injected right into the bone or something. Icing sounds like a good idea, I assume you can't take motrin or anything like that with your stomach. Be kind to yourself!

Deb

10/08/2010 04:51 PM
sonnysmom
sonnysmom  

You poor dear, you have so much to contend with. I had cortisone shots in my feet in the area by small toes & I cried. I did this more than once then said no more. Hope it works for you.....Sheila

10/09/2010 07:12 PM
janney550

Hi Teri, I've been seeing a rheumatologist for a number of years for my fibromyalgia mainly. His shots are primarily another ingredient with a small amount of cortisone in it, and I never had any problems with his shots, and they usually helped for a few months.

However, I had about 6 cortisone only shots given to me by my pain management doctor who I thought would be better than my rheumatologist only he never was any better. It was 2 days prior to a big event in my life and 2 months later was when my cortisol fell to "zero" and I had to go into the hospital for 4 days to see an endocrinologist.

I have had injections by the pain management into my sacroiliac joints, and not only did they not help, but they gave me horrific pain afterwards. I know these injections were all cortisone.

To get them occasionally will do you no harm, but there are times they help and times they can make the pain worse. Good luck to you, and try to find the best rheumy near you that you can. I suggest asking any of your doctors, including your endocrinologist, for recommendations. Feel better soon.

10/11/2010 06:52 AM
teri72193
teri72193  

Thanks everyone. Over the weekend I went to the grocery store and when I came out and turned left to go to my car it felt like someone pulle a guitar string in my hip really hard and then excruciating pain have a doctor appointment this morning am working from home in between laying down from the pain.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved