MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/19/2010 06:23 AM

At home cortisol saliva tests

crabbyapple
crabbyapplePosts: 224

Do you ever wonder what a 'feel good' range is for your body? I know the norms, but wonder sometimes when I wake up after an ACTUAL GOOD NIGHT of sleep, why I have energy, pre HC for the am.

I wonder if it would be worth it to buy one of these kits and take a good day.......and see what my levels were at different times of the day......Tongue

That way I would know what is good for me.........and what I need to try to stay near etc.

Thoughts?

06/19/2010 10:16 AM
crz49
crz49  

Hi Crabby!

I think that's an EXCELLENT idea!! I've many days when I awoke feeling great w/out the HC. After dosing, I sometimes do the 'fast-forward' thing. I never thought it would be that my cortisol level may be high enough to not need HC bright and early. [duh for Corri] If you can afford it, I think it's worth the try!

CorriCool

06/19/2010 10:29 AM
BrentSpencer
BrentSpencer  

I wish with today's technology they would create a quick test strip for us to monitor our cortisol with. I've done to take home saliva and blood spot test thing to prove to my Drs that I had issues, in that case it was well worth the 300.00. I am tempted to do it again as I still don't feel that great.

06/19/2010 11:03 AM
crz49
crz49  

I think that is a GREAT idea...they make them for blood sugar, urine infections...why NOT AI???

06/19/2010 11:14 AM
crabbyapple

I know that there are sites where you can order BULK pregnancy tests and ovulation predictor tests. I bet there are cheaper ones that are just as good. I need to get on and look, I get sick of looking after about 30 mins but I betcha there are some that are cheaper. I may ask my doc also. Hmm.

06/19/2010 02:22 PM
bob3bob3
bob3bob3Posts: 4213

I'll try to make this short but I know I'll fail miserably!

- Keep a mind that cortisol is kind of a catalyst. ie Its needed for a further reaction elsewhere to take place. Example, if your blood sugar was already okay and under insulin control then there will be some "lag" between using up the energy and the need to break starches down for more. This can explain waking up feeling good vs not and also the wide range of possible values. You'll note that BG is a far narrower range percentage wise than cortisol. You can almost think of cortisol as a control system like a car accelerator pedal. Vehicle velocity is NOT directly proportional to pedal position unless the system is perfectly balanced. (Its actually a rate of change control)

- Good old test and measurement. Look at the size of your steroid pill. Big isn't it? How much starch and/or blood sugar do you think you are carrying? The less amount of what you want to measure in its carrying material, the more difficult it is to do so accurately.

BG is around 60-100 mg/dL. That's 60 milligrams for ever tenth of a litre... A milligram is a 1000th of a gram. Your 20mg MC pill is actually far more filler than HC. You'd be hard pressed to even feel a 1 gram weight on your hand. A pencil weighs about one ounce or 25 grams. Try to get in your head how tiny that is. Cortisol is maybe 3-20 ug/dL. That's a millionth of a gram measurement!.. What happens with a saliva test if you have a drink of water first?

So urine based tests with test strips have a high percentage of material to use. Preg tests are basically yes/no for presences of a certain chemical. They don't have to be accurate so much as above a certain level. Most importantly though the demand for a measuring instrument is low...

Oh and if you have secondary AI with "Low" levels your morning levels can in fact be high enough to feel okay. My morning level was about a 4. Lousy for that time of day but okay for say 5PM onwards.. That's why I would crash after midday, every day, as the cortisol fell to follow the diurnal curve.

Apologies for harping!

Bob

06/19/2010 05:22 PM
ITeach91
ITeach91  
VIP Member

Speaking of levels, I had a first today -- I actually missed my 5 pm dose, wasn't feeling in need at all. Didn't realize until 7:30. Wow. I had to stress dose earlier in the week (I think because of travel) and now it appears I didn't "need" my evening dose as much as usual...there's just no rhyme or reason to any of this, is there.

Deb

06/19/2010 06:19 PM
crz49
crz49  

No Deb, and it's very annoying. When I think I'm 'full', and don't take a dose, I crash. When I stress dose, sometimes I need more the next a.m. However, I guess we should be thankful that we can 'play around' w/the HC and mostly feel better.

CorriCool

06/20/2010 10:15 PM
pinkapple
pinkapple  

Crabby...Test kit, that's nice to have. I take the most safest way for me ie try to keep my maintenance dose to the best I can, I would try as much as possible to avoid 'extra' stressful event like long hours car convoy which my family likes to do. I don't like it when I have to say no for this (I've joined the convoy once..it's no more a fun for me).

Corri...Yes, I feel some kind of a blessing that we can play around with the HC, fortunately, it's quite user friendly. Perhaps as long as we are on a 'normal' routine life and we know what to expect....we can be on our own self dosage.

06/24/2010 10:19 PM
crabbyapple

I am almost back down to normal level and again tweaking times of day and amounts. I should just stick with the 'what feels good' part but I have gained a bit of weight so I have to be careful I think.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved