MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/15/2010 01:16 AM

do you wear a bracelet or use a keychain fob or?

crabbyapple
crabbyapplePosts: 224

I need to find a bracelet that won't drive me nuts, any ideas? I want to put one on my ankle instead but am afraid that if there is an emergency no one will look. I could do the keychain thing too, but, again, afraid people won't look. Do they generally look at a keychain ? I would prefer that really...........BUT what if my keys are not with me. LOL.

05/15/2010 01:38 AM
bob3bob3
bob3bob3Posts: 4213

I have a necklace, some have a bracelet. It has to fit in with your self image/style (well if your a girl that is!)

I agree that a keyfob or ankle bracelet should be avoided. I also have a card next to my drivers license because thats a place cops/ambo's will look.

Looking at your dress style in your tiny photo I guess a necklace isnt a good idea. They usually has a chunky flat section for engraved words and that would really detract from worn jewelry.

Silly question, do you have an tatoos? That might be another option.

IMO it should be something that you wash in, ie rarely comes off

Bob

05/15/2010 01:42 AM
crabbyapple
crabbyapplePosts: 224

I have a LOT of tattoos............I guess I could add another, but would they look for it?

I really don't wear jewelry at all, rarely even wear my wedding rings. I have a sensory thing when it comes to jewelry BUT if I need to wear something I could probably adjust to a bracelet, then the card in the wallet?

05/15/2010 01:55 AM
bob3bob3
bob3bob3Posts: 4213

Yeah it would be a problem to choose where and what. Generally speaking they are going to do airway, carotid, wrist and (clothed) upper arm if you are on the ground out of it. If you have big enough "snake medical" sign tattoo'd on your front/neck I guess that could point them in the right direction. That would probably look pretty gross though for the rest of normal life. If you disguise it as something else they may not see it.

Sorry not a lot of help. Womens fashion I am useless on. I don't even notice someones had a hairstyle change.

I think you can get by with the wallet/license/handbag only in many cases. People often keep all manner of useful info there. Just make sure its real easy to see and never gets covered when you put another card back. ie sit it in front or as an extra leaf.

Bob

05/15/2010 05:27 AM
ITeach91
ITeach91  
VIP Member

I have a bracelet, with beads...but it's annoying when I'm on the computer. More annoying lately since I lost the weight, I think it's too big on me or something. I find myself taking it off more often. But one thing I found is true - changes sometimes have to be made in the information on the back so only put on there what you know is going to remain true for a while...it does give a number that medics can check to get updated info though.

I always wanted that real-gold one (which my cousin has) but have been loathe to spend the $$ on it. So went the cheap plastic bead route.

They do give you a card, which you're supposed to keep in your wallet. However if you're like me, your wallet is so loaded with all kinds of credit, gift, and shopping cards that it would take someone ages to find the "right" card. Sometimes I can't even find my license!

Deb

05/15/2010 10:45 AM
kgo
kgo  

Mara wears two bracelets. She decided on a sports band it bright colors. They are a little expensive but we bought hers from www.petitebaublesboutique.com/

They have a great selection.

If she had opted for the dog tag we may have been able to fit all onto one but she wanted braclets so we made two. I paid just around $65 both both, so not terribly expensive but still something you do not want to lose.

So she wears those along with 5-10 other braclets. So the blend right in. She wears the rubber livestrong and a few othr awareness ones. I guess I should find her a lt blue one for AI awareness.

Her AI bracelet just states: Adrenal Insuffiency, requires cortef.

Kim

05/15/2010 10:52 AM
BrentSpencer
BrentSpencer  

My sister in law just went thru paramedics training and said they are trained to check your wrists. But I settled on a dogtag style for myself as I hate having things on my wrists, even watches. Found a great company that I used for myself and for my wife and daughter (other conditions). Good prices and quick http://www.n-styleid.com/

Brent

05/15/2010 11:58 AM
crz49
crz49  

I'm looking for something in a cuff bracelet; if they make them. This way there's no dangling...the card-in-the-wallet isn't always good for me; frequently, if I leave the house, I don't have my purse, i.e. when my son drives me to some place where I won't need it, or if I'm walking around my house...if I were to drop, I wouldn't have my purse with me. I'm putting off getting a bracelet, because I don't see anything I like. I'm going to check out Brent's site.

Corri

05/15/2010 10:46 PM
kgo
kgo  

the site I posted Corri has wide leather bracelets, I dont know if thats close enough to a cuff for you

05/16/2010 09:56 AM
crz49
crz49  

Sounds good...I'm going to check it out....NOW!

Thank you kg Smile

Corri

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved