MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/19/2010 06:37 AM

Just had my adrenal gland surgically removed

shoonu
shoonuPosts: 186

Hi my name is Shoonu,

I am having some strange symtoms after my adrenal gland surgery. I have been diagnosed with Li-Fraumeni Syndrome and have a strong family history of Adrenal gland cancer.

I was just wondering what common side effects you experience with adrenal insuffiency since I now only have one adrenal gland left, which by the way, also has a small tumor on it.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

01/19/2010 10:09 AM
bob3bob3
bob3bob3Posts: 4213

Hi Shoonu

No such thing as "common" side effects.. They are all special! <grin>

With a lost adrenal gland lots of things might be affected. From the AI standpoint low cortisol and low aldosterone are the biggies. Rather than type all the cortisol ones out have a look at my article in MDJ (top of page) It talks about dosing trigger symptoms but they are the same symptoms of AI generally. Keep in mind that cortisol use is pretty widespread so many more symptoms are possible.

If you are aldosterone low that can lead to strange potassium/sodium levels, dehydration, erratic cardiac problems, sore/nervy feet and so on. This is offset by salt and/or fludrocortisone doses.

I would assume that your adrenal gland that is still there would probably take up most of the slack. What controls it is a feedback/level loop so it would simply create more of the controlling hormone (ACTH) more often and/or for longer. Of course you may have problems during peak needs. Tell us what symptoms you are feeling?

Hope this helps..

Bob

01/19/2010 01:26 PM
ITeach91
ITeach91  
VIP Member

Hi Shoonu,

Welcome to our forum. You've come to the right place to ask for knowledge, and I see Bob has already responded to you. His article on symptoms should help you out.

I am so sorry that you are going through all of this. It has to be stressful, even more so with the loss of your gland. Please feel free to ask any questions you like.

Deb

01/20/2010 06:39 AM
lorajoy
lorajoy  

Welcome to our forum, Shoonu. We are glad you are here. This is a wonderful place full of caring people and lots of resources. Please feel to ask any questions! Bob's articles are a must to look at! Again, welcome! So sorry you have been through so much!

Lora-Joy

Mother of 9 year old with Primary Adrenal Insufficiency

02/03/2010 11:31 AM
shoonu
shoonuPosts: 186

What symptoms am I having? Hmmmm, well, I have lost weight in my face since my sugery.(almost instantly) I don't look as puffy as I did before my surgery. I do not get cold anymore, but get hot very easily. My energy level is about the same. I have no more panic attacks, which I thought were ruining my life. Before my sugery I had hourly panic attacks, which I never told anyone because I didn't want someone to think I was crazy. They made no sense. I'm not a panicky person at all, however, having that tumor caused me to feel unsafe driving, riding a motorcycle was almost impossible (although I love riding). Nothing and everything triggered a panic attack. SInce I had my surgery I haven't had a single attack, however, I am weepy now. When I had a very high testosterone level I had difficulties squeezing out a tear if something was very sad, now I feel like the flood gates have been opened. Does this sound like anyone elses experience?Silly

02/03/2010 11:47 AM
LittleMissMerrySunshine
LittleMissMerrySunshine  
Group Leader

One of my many diagnoses over the past six years (was just diagnosed AI two months ago) was Bipolar II w/panic disorder. My endo has agreed with me that is no longer a valid diagnosis, and I've been off the bipolar meds for months, and I am weaning off the anxiety meds. So I definitely understand that one! What caused that for me was my cortisol didn't increase in stressful situations, so my body responded by having a panic attack. My first one was so bad, we thought I had a stomach virus, and I ended up hospitalized for 3 days...took awhile to look back and see it was a panic attack.

I am sorry for what you are going through, but you have come to a great place! This board has been a life-saver for me.

02/04/2010 04:20 PM
ITeach91
ITeach91  
VIP Member

I just watched a Dr. Oz show a few days ago, and a woman on there said she was wrongly diagnosed with panic/anxiety disorder and it was actually an adrenal tumor like yours. She began feeling better very quickly and is now living a happy, calm, peaceful life!

Deb

02/04/2010 05:32 PM
cathd
cathdPosts: 60

That was my diagnosis.... 20 years ago!!! I've been taking antidepressants all that time. What a surprise when the SAI showed up! Still on the antidepressants while everything else settles in a bit more, but maybe not forever. Yikes!

02/04/2010 05:33 PM
cathd
cathdPosts: 60

PS: they diagnosed Panic Disorder symptomatically. Checked my thyroid and said it was borderline but within normal limits. No other tests were ever done over the years. Sound familiar anyone?

02/04/2010 11:29 PM
LittleMissMerrySunshine
LittleMissMerrySunshine  
Group Leader

Oh, that is so painfully familiar! I'm weaning off Valium as we "speak". Off & on anti-depressants for years, then put on bipolar meds...I'm on wellbutrin now, but just for the hopeful energy boost it gives some people, and because I'm "situationally depressed", which happens when you can't live your life for six months. Smile

I really wish someone would have looked at all my symptoms as a whole. I gave every doctor everything, but nobody put it together. I had never heard of Addison's until that test came back low, and my husband found it online (while hanging out at the hospital) and said, "Baby, they should put your picture on this! You won't believe it!" That's right, ladies and gentlemen, my husband was the first to diagnose me!! LOL

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved