MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/14/2012 07:54 PM

Overheated When Sleeping at Night

warbler
warblerPosts: 31

I wanted to title this post "Night Sweats" except that I don't sweat. I wake up every night overheated, but not sweating. I wake up suffocatingly hot and throw off all the covers and my pajamas. And then I wait until I cool down and get completely cold before I put the covers back on. The climate where I live is cold at night all year round. There is no heat in the house, so it's not an issue of needing to turn down the thermostat. There is no thermostat. We sleep with the windows wide open. The room is not hot; it's about 55 degrees Fahrenheit in the bedroom. I have checked my temperature when this happens. I don't have a fever. In fact, my temperature is always below normal, day or night, and even when I'm burning up like this during the night. My temperature stays around 36 C or 96.8 F. I started out at 7.5 mg of prednisone when I lived at sea level, but had to increase it to 10 mg per day when we moved back home, which is at 8000 feet. I also had to double the Cytomel to 50 mcg per day, in 2 split doses. A recent thyroid panel was good, Free T3 is around 3.12. I've been on cpap for 4.5 years and my apneas are under control, usually 2 or less per hour, but this overheating stuff is wreaking havoc on my sleep. Ugh. Does anybody know what's going on?

Post edited by: warbler, at: 10/14/2012 07:58 PM

10/14/2012 08:18 PM
ButtonButton
ButtonButtonPosts: 1149

Warbler:

I will enter a guestimation . .

The HPA axis (hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal) axis is complex in its interactions. A frequent accompaniment of adrenal insufficiency is hypothalamus dysregulation.

The hypothalamus is involved in the maintenance of the body's core temperature. If the hypothalamus senses or perceives a shift in core temperature, it will respond - even if the perception is inaccurate. Meaning, your body temperature may be OK/stable but your hypothalamus may be perceiving a shift, setting into motion corrective measures - shivering if the body core temperature is perceived as declining; throwing off the blankets (as you are) if the body core temperature is perceived as increasing.

- Karen -

10/14/2012 08:55 PM
CanadianCat41
CanadianCat41  

How do we fix or deal with this?

10/14/2012 09:37 PM
warbler

Thanks ButtonButton. And to CanadianCat, tt doesn't sound fixable, eh. I'd like to have a hypothalamus transplant. I hate it. Drives me nuts. It's got to where I dread going to bed because I know what's coming. My body skin feels hot to touch, but I wonder if I just perceive it that way. Tonight I'm waking up my husband to ask him if my skin feels hot. Don't know what for though. I guess I'm just curious. Do tumors form on the hypothalamus? How does the hypothalamus get so messed up? I want a new one.

10/15/2012 02:09 AM
SOS911
SOS911  

Are you flushed (skin turns red, esp. the face) when you feel over heated? Or do you feel hyper-active? This is common with Prednisone. What time of day are you taking it?

BTW, how old are you and could you be going though menopause? Just looking at all possibilities here.

10/15/2012 05:05 AM
warbler

Thanks for the input. I'm 59, already went through menopause, and take the replacement sex hormones progesterone and estrogen, and a testosterone cream. The over-heating started about 3 years ago, before I began taking prednisone, and before I got diagnosed with Hashi's and secondary Addison's. I am not flushed when it happens, I just feel icky hot all over, and there's no sweat. I take first dose of prednisone at 6:30 am and second dose at 2:30 pm, and with same schedule for the Cynomel.

Post edited by: warbler, at: 10/15/2012 05:07 AM

Post edited by: warbler, at: 10/15/2012 05:07 AM

10/15/2012 11:11 AM
bob3bob3
bob3bob3Posts: 4213

Not so directly pertinent to your heating problem, but I thought worth a mention.

There are some huge interdependencies between sex and adrenal hormones/steroids. In terms of production steps, progesterone is a precursor to cortisol and aldosterone. Testosterone is in between DHEA and estrogens as well.

What this kind of means is that progesterone will affect natural cortisol etc levels both directly and via pituitary feedback. Adding testosterone and estrogens actually affect each other as well. The androgens also have a metabolic affect. Average BG tends to fall when adding testosterone for example. You add testosterone and you'll get some more estrogen from that, along with the estrogen you add externally!

This is all horribly complex and the more replacement you do the less predictable it becomes. Of course it isn't possible to keep a body in a steady/static state, but it might be worthwhile ensuring that at least the sex hormone level you are reasonably particular in keeping to a fixed regime. Its now probably pretty self evident why females have a far more difficult time over AI than males do. Ever wonder why this MDJ group is a much higher proportion females to males?

I don't intend describing all the permutations of this. Its a huge flow charted simultaneous equation with maybe 20 unknowns! Its just important to be aware and realise that the root cause for an adverse symptom may not necessarily be from what you think.

I don't know about T3, but T4 is very affected by stomach contents, including other drugs. My T4 gets taken at least an hour before or two hours after anything but water. If you have variability from day to day the "loss" of some of the T3 will have an end effect in metabolic rate change, and thus body temp. You might find for example that if you start taking the T3 without that 1/2 hr interaction you'll feel hotter still. Make sense?

Bob

10/15/2012 01:20 PM
licorice3

So sorry you are having to deal with this sleep disruption. I also have this overheating symptom on and off, but not as badly as you. Mine seems to be related to my dose of hc, as I have been decreasing and I am not as hot with each successive decrease. For me, it is also related to my electrolyte status. If I am on enough florinef, the overheating is better, along with other symptoms. I am SAI, but I love my florinef.

Mentioning all this as you take multiple hormones, like myself, and it can get really confusing to figure out what may need adjusting. What stands out in your case is your low body temp despite the 50mcg of cytomel. Is your temp low during the day too? Because that alone could explain the hot feeling. Hypo can present as feeling really hot as well as the more common feeling of cold.

When on T3 thyroid only, it is difficult to dose by blood work as our free t3 can go high while our free t4 and TSH are low. I am on 30mcg of t3, and my free t3 is higher than yours. My doc likes to go more by symptoms when on t3 only. You may ask doc about an increase in cytomel, if temps are low during the day, or adding in armour or T4 if appropriate for your situation. May also want to check electrolyte status.

10/16/2012 04:53 AM
Nymph
NymphPosts: 231

I have the same problem, and have ever since puberty. It's actually better now, at 33, than it was then - it only really drives me nuts before my period and anytime I have to sleep in a room over 65 deg F. ;D Like you, my temperature is not high when this happens, but usually 98.2-6. I guess that is a little high for the middle of the night! The only hormones I take are a very low dose of DHEA and pregnenalone. I have not noticed a difference since taking them. I am not on HC due to only having adrenal fatigue and RA. Anyway, I know how frustrating it is, and I've never gotten a good answer from a doctor, either.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved