MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/22/2007 11:52 AM

ADHD Medication and Bad Side Effects

amersnjay
waterlover  

OK I have a husband that was diagnosed as being ADD BUT he is also Bi-Polar. He was put on medication for the ADD and it ended terribly bad.

My husband experienced some delusional thinking and a terrible addiction to the medication. What I am asking is anyone else on medication for ADD experiencing anything as far as negative side effects? Is anyone experiencing any psychosis or paranoia from the medication?

I am so afraid. My husband is no longer on the medication and he seems as normal as can be expected. While he was on the medication he would think people were always trying to steal from him, sneaking around the property, etc...He would also regularly think I was trying to have him locked away in an institution. I love this man. I would never do such a thing and he would never have behaved this way towards me either.

He cant be the only one feeling this way on the medication, is there anyone out there that has also experienced anything like this or anyone that knows someone that has?

I can explain further what happened if anyone is interested. I am just very concerned about how he is being seen now by others over this incident. He is a good man and I think he should have never been on such a medication with him being bi-polar as well.

07/28/2007 01:05 PM
jeremey05
jeremey05  

I know everyone experiences different side effects from meds and those are few of side effects that can happen. I don't know from experience but its obvious that those are probably the right meds for him poor thing, my daughter is adhd and has been on meds for a year and a half and its frustrating still trying to find the right ones, cause some she doent eat or shes really emotional or just all these emotions ugh its crazy theres gotta be a better way than just being like a ginny pig especially for little one.

08/01/2007 10:07 AM
erleichda
erleichda  

I have ADHD and I was wondering if any of you would be willing to say what medication you take and what side effects you experience.

08/04/2007 02:15 AM
amersnjay
waterlover  

My husband was taking Adderall XR. What it did was cause him to basically lose touch with reality at times. He wouldnt be able to distinguish the truth from a thought and he was not sleeping well. Not sleeping well creates a whole host of issues in itself.

He lost his appetite and lost 80 pounds in mere months. He was a large handsome man that was far too slender for his frame and at the time looked like someone else altogether.

All of the warnings on the adderall xr website basically came true for him. He experienced psychosis and reacted on that psychosis.

At first it was effective in helping him get thoughts out and follow through with projects. It was only after about 6 months that I really started seeing that my husband wasnt the same anymore. I tried to make him understand what I saw but he only thought I was trying to have him committed or something. My husband is the type of man that takes very good care of me, he looks after me like I am a jewel or something. I love him so much for this. He started acting like I was a bother to him and even said things he would of never said to me other wise. (He isnt on the medication now and I have my handsome husband back) When I noticed the changes in him I saw that he just didnt care about the things he would normally care about. It was so frightening for him.

I honestly believe that my husband should have never been on this medication because of the fact that he is bipolar. Its too late though.....He isnt on them now and he is a wonderful man again.

I was just curious as to whether or not anyone else experimented any of the same issues as my husband.

08/05/2007 12:31 PM
erleichda
erleichda  

Hi amersnjay,

I don't have this issue with Adderall, thank goodness, but I know someone who did. A friend of mine, a man, didn't have the psychosis but he did experience a change in his personality. He was a very caring man who always looked after other people, put others first, etc. He changed into someone who thought everyone was in the way and he couldn't be bothered. He came first and if you didn't like it, you could leave. Etc.

He also lost weight. I don't want to say that maybe the med interacts negatively with testoserone because I am certain that is inaccurate! But I remember thinking it back when he was on this drug.

So, you are not alone. I'm sorry that I don't have any information to offer regarding the psychosis.

lori

08/10/2007 06:42 PM
candymom419
candymom419Posts: 16

hi mi name is jennifer, ive been taking add meds from ritalin to focalin, for lets see 16yrs. now. Im 30. did it help me in school? wouldnt have passed w/ out it. is it making me crazy, HELL YES! So stop taking it you might say. Well thats the really crazy part. all add medication is bad! its absolutely not worth it. and im not a dr. im someone who has felt its affects for 16 yrs. yes i was properly diagnosed. im telling all of you how are wondering if those meds are makeing you crazy and if you should really be feeling like that. they are and your not. i have taken these pills for so long, i dont think i can function w/ out them, but i cant function while i take them either. its hard, really hard, for years my side effects have been, not eating(yay! admit it you like it to) severe dry mouth, nervousness, somokeing, shaking, heart beating so fast i swerar it gonna pop right out, sweating like crazy, shortness of breath, i pick my head till i make scabs all over it, blurry vision, pull my hair out till there's bald spots, smoking, smoking, i feel bugs crawling all over me, i see bugs crawling all over me, i hear a radio playing sometimes thats not there, i obsess about things alot!, i get really confused over simple things, mood swings, impatient, i can go on and on. but really its the whole bug crawling, obsessing over that thing, it is ruining my life, Look im not crazy, when i dont take the darn meds, im fine, i dont even smoke, no bugs, i eat(alot) im relaxed, my hearts fine, I dont take more than im supposed to, ive had to go to the er several times in the past for things the dr. cant explain, my blood pressure shot up to like 176/142, its never gone over 116. i now this medicine is doing things to me i cant even put into words, something w/ my skin it hurts sometimes or all of a sudden i feel something burning on my arm i look down and theres a big red mark and it burns, my husband see's it to. weird things im too scared to tell the dr. b/c well it sounds crazy, but i know my body, and i know whats going on w/ it. the scary thing is after all that, im scared to stop. what if i get fat and lazy, what if i cant get motivatied, what if i get to impulsive, and spend too much money, what if my house goes to shit, what if i started to suck at my job, and my laundry, omg, i bet that will start piling up! the solutions easy i know, stop taking it. im not asking for advice im giving it, dont think this wont be you or your kids in a few years. those side effects dont go away, you just get used to it. but they are still doing damaged. Let this be the ONE thing that the dr.s are wrong about. Please, if it doesnt feel right then its not. and dont let them treat a symptom that only occurs when you take the meds. w/ another med. so your kid might not go to college, so he might end up working at walmart instead of microsoft, you ask your self is it worth thier health or sanity? i promise im not the only one who has this prob. i wont even tell my dr. this cause what if he makes me stop taking it, or worse, what if he tells me i need something else on top of it. its coming to a point though. my husband finally is saying enough, he hates the way i feel. i dont act nuts, ive been taking it so long im good at keeping the crazies in. please know this is not coming from a crazy lady. this is coming from a wife and a mother of three young children who im resposible for every day, we are a happy, successful, family, this is just something ive struggled w/ inside for many many yrears. ive decided finally to write something instead of just reading it. our babies should not have to feel like this. and believe me they do. at least one of these side effects is just wrong to make a child have. teacheers need to get off their lazy butts and start teaching. i will never ever ever put my children on any medication like these i dont care what anybody says. i know. no one can tell me anything about this, i dont care what the statistics or research, or clinical studies show, screw all of that. long term effects are not worth any of that, well i truly hope i scared the shit out of at least one person writing this, i wonder every day if this is the day im gonna drop dead

08/12/2007 08:53 PM
shero

candymom419 wrote:

hi mi name is jennifer, ive been taking add meds from ritalin to focalin, for lets see 16yrs. now. Im 30. did it help me in school? wouldnt have passed w/ out it. is it making me crazy, HELL YES! So stop taking it you might say. Well thats the really crazy part. all add medication is bad! its absolutely not worth it. and im not a dr. im someone who has felt its affects for 16 yrs. yes i was properly diagnosed. im telling all of you how are wondering if those meds are makeing you crazy and if you should really be feeling like that. they are and your not. i have taken these pills for so long, i dont think i can function w/ out them, but i cant function while i take them either. its hard, really hard, for years my side effects have been, not eating(yay! admit it you like it to) severe dry mouth, nervousness, somokeing, shaking, heart beating so fast i swerar it gonna pop right out, sweating like crazy, shortness of breath, i pick my head till i make scabs all over it, blurry vision, pull my hair out till there's bald spots, smoking, smoking, i feel bugs crawling all over me, i see bugs crawling all over me, i hear a radio playing sometimes thats not there, i obsess about things alot!, i get really confused over simple things, mood swings, impatient, i can go on and on. but really its the whole bug crawling, obsessing over that thing, it is ruining my life, Look im not crazy, when i dont take the darn meds, im fine, i dont even smoke, no bugs, i eat(alot) im relaxed, my hearts fine, I dont take more than im supposed to, ive had to go to the er several times in the past for things the dr. cant explain, my blood pressure shot up to like 176/142, its never gone over 116. i now this medicine is doing things to me i cant even put into words, something w/ my skin it hurts sometimes or all of a sudden i feel something burning on my arm i look down and theres a big red mark and it burns, my husband see's it to. weird things im too scared to tell the dr. b/c well it sounds crazy, but i know my body, and i know whats going on w/ it. the scary thing is after all that, im scared to stop. what if i get fat and lazy, what if i cant get motivatied, what if i get to impulsive, and spend too much money, what if my house goes to shit, what if i started to suck at my job, and my laundry, omg, i bet that will start piling up! the solutions easy i know, stop taking it. im not asking for advice im giving it, dont think this wont be you or your kids in a few years. those side effects dont go away, you just get used to it. but they are still doing damaged. Let this be the ONE thing that the dr.s are wrong about. Please, if it doesnt feel right then its not. and dont let them treat a symptom that only occurs when you take the meds. w/ another med. so your kid might not go to college, so he might end up working at walmart instead of microsoft, you ask your self is it worth thier health or sanity? i promise im not the only one who has this prob. i wont even tell my dr. this cause what if he makes me stop taking it, or worse, what if he tells me i need something else on top of it. its coming to a point though. my husband finally is saying enough, he hates the way i feel. i dont act nuts, ive been taking it so long im good at keeping the crazies in. please know this is not coming from a crazy lady. this is coming from a wife and a mother of three young children who im resposible for every day, we are a happy, successful, family, this is just something ive struggled w/ inside for many many yrears. ive decided finally to write something instead of just reading it. our babies should not have to feel like this. and believe me they do. at least one of these side effects is just wrong to make a child have. teacheers need to get off their lazy butts and start teaching. i will never ever ever put my children on any medication like these i dont care what anybody says. i know. no one can tell me anything about this, i dont care what the statistics or research, or clinical studies show, screw all of that. long term effects are not worth any of that, well i truly hope i scared the shit out of at least one person writing this, i wonder every day if this is the day im gonna drop dead[i]Smile

08/12/2007 08:59 PM
shero

Laughing OMG Candymom, are you me...I was reading my own life story. You are so right about smoking I only smoke whilst I'm on it too, but I have the added bonus of picking the skin from around my finger nails until they bleed, I also bite my nails whilst I'm on it. I've just gone of it cause I thought I would give my self a break, plus I was taking more than I was suppose to and my nest prescription isn't due for a while..LETS FACE IT...IT'S SPEED...MINI SPEED.. But I must admit it great for house work, in between smoke breaks!

08/16/2007 03:44 PM
candymom419

i was hoping telling my story might help someone else. Hope you all dont thing im just some speed junkly, that absolutely was not what i was trying to get across. But while we're on the subject. Have any of you ever paid attention to what i says on the bottle of generic adderrall? It says amphetemine salts. you might as well give your children a big line of crystal meth to snort before school. Yeah, i know what the dr.s say, it works diffrently for people w/ add, it does the opposite. Well, ah, no it doesnt. amphetemines are amphetamines. That's it. speed!. that's what their taking. and trust me some will get addicted. thats a fact! Im telling my story for the children. the adults who take it. they know it is for what it is. But the kids. Its our job, our privlage to care for them. Dont get them started on a rollercoaster they cant controll. Let them feel normal. AT ALL COSTS!

08/16/2007 03:49 PM
candymom419

ive taken adderrall, ritalin, concerta, dexadrine, and now focalin. they all have the same horrible side effects there are none that make you feel like your "you" just a little smarter. If you take add medication you will sacrifice the person you are. It makes you feel different in every way. Some people like it. That's not good.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved