MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/08/2012 08:04 AM

Out of control spending

Colleenj
Colleenj  
Group Leader

I didn't realize how out of control I am with spending until I tried to figure out for an hour on how to come up with $2500 so I could go see KISS on a special package deal. Yesterday I got two packages; one from Macy's with cosmetics from Clinique that I absolutely do not need (I have a cosmetics thing) and $350 worth of a new Nintendo3DS and accessories that I do not need, but hey, I was able to charge it all so what the heck, right?

Everyday I tell myself that this is the day I will get my impulses under control and everyday it's something else. For today I doubled up on my Adderall again and I'm going to see if it affects my wanting to shop and spend money. This is something that became a problem for me last Christmas. I had aoubt 3 or 4 catalog accounts with about $400 credit limit on each one. At Christmas, they are always asking you to sign up for a credit card and I usually try buut get turned down. This last Christmas was a whole different game. One of my catalog accounts increased my limit by 500 and then another 500 about a month ago. That's how I got the Nintendo. I openned charge accounts with 4 different stores that had refused me in the past and two Visa cards. The other day I filled out an app on line for a Mastercard thinking they would say no but they didn't. I can make all the monthly bills and still have money left over but that isn't the point. I have to stop spending. Has anybody conquered this problem? Any suggestions? I feel like a failure as a group leader because I'm out of control.

04/09/2012 03:48 AM
mem5761

I can't save money for anything in my life. I honestly don't understand how I can ever get this under control. I've gotten to the point where I've had my paycheck garnished because I charged up $13,000 and then just didn't pay it because, I just didn't want to be bothered by it. My phones cut off because I forget to pay my phone bill. And I'm an RN, I make decent money.

Its so frustrating! I understand your frustrations. I don't think anyone on here expects the group leader to be perfect, just supportive!

04/09/2012 04:38 AM
Colleenj
Colleenj  
Group Leader

Thank you so much for your support. I "suffer" from the need to be perfect and fall so short of the mark.

$13000 is a lot to have charged and it would scare me too. I am on disability so I have to keep my spending in check as much as I can. That means If I have room on a card or account I will buy something but I'm careful about going over my limit. If I'm too close, I'll shop on an account that I have some leeway with. The point is to just shop and get "stuff". The late and great George Carlin did a great bit about people and our "stuff." It fits perfectly for those of us with a shopping habit.

Post edited by: Colleenj, at: 04/09/2012 04:39 AM

04/09/2012 06:56 AM
mem5761

Do you think you shop because of depression related issues or loneliness/boredom? I really don't know why I do it. What's ur therapist say?

I'm the same way as you. If I have the money available, I'll spend it. But having my paycheck garnished 25% has definatly been a learning tool for me for sure.

I think shopping can be an addiction for sure.

04/09/2012 07:41 AM
jenny1978
jenny1978  
VIP Member

Colleen,

This is just my opinion, but maybe you need to talk to your psychiatrist because this sounds like a "hypomanic" state you are in. They need to give you a medication to keep you from being hypomanic or manic. I think that is the problem.

04/09/2012 09:31 AM
Colleenj
Colleenj  
Group Leader

I will do that. I just saw my pdoc last week and will see my tdoc next week. The pdoc says she wants to see me every 2 months but I will get an appointment sooner if necessary.

I have always been confused about the difference between, manic, hyper-manic and hypo-manic. It seems like everything I'm dx'd with includes these symptoms in one way or another.

I do think that boredom does have something to do with it.

Post edited by: Colleenj, at: 04/09/2012 09:32 AM

04/09/2012 09:41 AM
jenny1978
jenny1978  
VIP Member

Hypomania is not as severe as mania.

04/09/2012 10:20 AM
Colleenj
Colleenj  
Group Leader

I think you're right. I feel better on higher doses of the Adderall. Not sure how a stimulant makes the mania better but it does. She mis-wrote the dosing instructions on the first prescription and I was taking 60mg. of ER in the morning. The next time I saw her I told her that it worked pretty good but felt that the next highest dose would be alot better. I have had gastric bypass surgery and there is an issue with absorbtion. Anyway, she rewrote the dosage as 30mg. twice a day. It isn't working at all.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved