MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/07/2009 07:37 PM

Trouble with studying at college

ojeco

Dear everyone,

I'm not really sure where to post this, since it touches many topics.

Anyway, at first let me introduce myself, I'm a 22-year-old college student guy, who suffers from ultra rapid cycling bipolar disorder, ADHD (inattentive type) and social phobia.

I haven't been officially diagnosed with ADHD, since in my country adult ADHD is an unrecognized thing (don't ask me why); psychiatrists simply don't know anything about it. I was a good student in elementary, I was interested in studying, so I went on undiagnosed. I haven't had any problems until high school, when I fell in love, suffered a deep depressive episode, acquired my social anxiety (although I have always been shy), and I really began to hate school.

I managed to finish high school without basicaly any studying, but now in college I'm in trouble. Practically I'm not able to study, prepare to classes, write essays at all. I was supposed to get my MA degree this year, but I'm still doing my second year of BA. Dizzy I was even kicked out once because of failing an exam 6x, but I managed to get back to school.

My main problem is that I'm terribly distracted all the time, I can't sit down with a book, I can't focus at it at all. Also, I have trouble attending to classes because of my social anxiety and ups and downs with my mood.

The strange thing is when I sit down and prepare to study and I'm not distracted with anything else, I still feel restlessness and some kind of inner anxiety. Sometimes I wonder if there's anything else wrong with me, it feels like if I had PTSD that bad I try to avoid my long procrastinated essays. I know consciously that I have to sit down and write it and it would take only a couple of hours and it would be over, but I procrastinate it for months, shutting out even the thought of the consequences. But actually it eats me inside, I have terrible nightmares, constant feeling of guilt and I'm always angry at myself. I can't decide if it's sheer weakness or something else stops me doing my tasks?

I take an SNRI and a mood stabilizer for my bipolar, sometimes alprazolam for my anxiety, but nothing for my ADHD.

I'm going to try to get my psychiatrist to prescribe something for my ADHD, but she has admittedly no clue about it. Wassat

Post edited by: ojeco, at: 01/07/2009 19:41

01/08/2009 10:35 AM
maryannerarick1
littlebopeep1  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I would suggest for you to get a hold of doctor, and see if he or she would recommend you going too a angery managment class, I think that this will do you some good. And for you having ADHD I do believe that you have it.I am a mother of two boy's with this and they are 11 and 15.I will be here to help you when needed, but I am not a doctor. I can advise you to go and talk to your's. You seem like you really are struggling, and it breaks my heart, too hear that you are going through all of this by yourself. I am here for you as you friend, and leader. But I think that this is for your first step. I would like to be your friend, and I would like you to keep me up to date with this please. You can PM me at anytime.....Cool Good Luck keep me in formed..Smile your leader maryanne.

i just want to say welcome too me group and that i am glad you are here!!!!You will get the help and support you need!!!

01/08/2009 02:24 PM
ojeco

Thank you for your kind words. Smile I really appreciate your help.

The anger management therapy is a good idea, I'm going to look around to find if someone practices it here.

I was thinking about the fact that many of my problems is related to my family denying that anything would be wrong with me. They think I'm just too lazy and they have really high expectations which I obviously can't fulfill. Dizzy

I'm planning to find a new psychiatrist, because the current one doesn't do much than prescribe my meds and talk with me about irrevelant things. When I have something serious on my mind and I share my thoughts with her, she only nods and shows a sympathetic face. She doesn't even take notes, or suggest anything. And also she has no idea about adult ADHD, but I'm afraid, she's not the only ignorant doctor around here.

I also want to check out the disability office in my college, if they had any help for someone like me. I'm afraid only physical disabilites are "accepted". I didn't find a word about ADHD or anything related to mental illness on their webpage. Although they do have a mental health support service for "troubled students", but I think I'm a little bit too whacko for their taste. Tongue

01/09/2009 04:26 AM
maryannerarick1
littlebopeep1  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

ojeco, Yes I do believe that the biggest problems that you are having is due too your family. And I think that maybe after, you get yourself on track I think that you should try to get your family, to go with you for family therpy as well. I will be here for when you need to talk and even to work something out. I would like you to go into my dairy and make some comment. there are a couple of them that I think that would help you understand, yourself better and see within yourself too get the support from me and your family..Please do that for me. Also I would like to become you friend.....If you like.

maryanne

07/05/2010 05:51 AM
Iceangel85

If you can get your doctor to prescribe it I would try Strattera. I am bipolar as well and adhd. My academic history is pretty much word for word like yours. I went undiagnosed because I was able to pass without having to study, and when I began to have manic episodes my adhd got worse. But even after I got the cycling in check with lamictal I was still left with all of my adhd symptoms. Strattera has been a godsend for me. It isnt a miracle drug...it definitely does not keep me as focused as aderal would but it has not induced any manic episodes like aderall would most likely do. The changes were subtle but they make a huge impact in my day to day life. It might sound trivial but just being able to watch a 45 minute tv show all the way through and stay present during an entire conversation has greatly improved my relationships with people. I still have a hard time sitting through an entire lecture...but atleast I make it through most of it now.

07/07/2010 07:06 AM
change4better
change4better  

theres adderall, concerta, ritalin, adderal xr, adderall helped me through college but we are all diffrent ritalin also made me freak out so be carful and good luck finding the right meds for you!

07/08/2010 03:59 AM
littlebopeep1
littlebopeep1  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Ritalin, I ask everyone to stay away from.....Due to the fact of the side effects......The other's that you have named are good ones...Good luck in finding the right meds.....

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved