MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/09/2011 05:05 AM

A question for the women of the forum

mjcarollson

Hi,

I was wondering if any women here with ADHD or ADD experience deep depression and bouts of almost unexplainable anger shortly before the beginning of their menstrual period? I have heard that the normal changing of hormones during this time can have a particularly intense effect on women with ADHD (as I have). I have been told it is completely different from PMS/PMDD. Any thoughts on this would help, thanks! Smile

--MJ

08/21/2011 04:39 PM
NeonKitty
NeonKitty  

That is very interesting ! I have Crohn's disease and ADHD. I do exsperance spouts of deep depression and anger right before my period or shortly after. I do not have PMS/PMDD. The dr's told me it was just my Crohn's and normal changing of the hormones. But now it makes me wonder. Does yours last a while - My emontcions do not last very long. My depression comes and goes as well as the anger.

08/31/2011 05:42 PM
fightinghard
fightinghard  

i do as well mine is before my period i am add and bipolar 2 also i have ovarian cyst because of the very ill and angry moods before my period my obdoc put me on loestrin24fe to help withthe cyst and ill moods before my period since jan i haven't had a cyst and maybe a month or 2 after starting the birthcontrol the ill moods have calmed down a whole lot compared to what they where but because of the bipolar i take a mood stabilizer that might have something to do with it but i think for the pms it was more the loestrin24 that helped with that...good luck

09/01/2011 12:22 PM
whatthefisup
whatthefisup  

I havent been able to find any studies done on this topic but it makes complete sense to me. Since one of the executive functions impaired by AD(H)D is emotional regulation then the irregular emotions during PMS would be amplified or harder to control in ADD women.

10/11/2011 11:38 AM
mjcarollson

Thanks for your reply ladies. I have not been able to find any studies either, only my own personal experience. My emotional issues usually last for 2 or 3 days right before my period, if that provides any frame of reference for anyone.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved